Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Hooks...

Woland

One of the Regulars
Dear Loungers.

My collection of hats are not exactly substantial, yet; growing... :rolleyes:
The Missus and myself are living in a loft apartement with as good as no room for storage.

We have thought about storing our hats on hat hooks.
(In fact on our bedroom wall. Kinky?)

A couple of questions:

Would it be bad for our dearly beloved hats?

Modern day "hat hooks" doesn't look that good.
What kind of design would be suitable?

I found this on the net at www.hooklady.com:

ch-14.jpg

What do you think about design & practicality?

Been looking for something art-decoish.
Any suggestions?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
You can use a hook like that. There are also other possibilities. Most hats are so light, that hanging on a hook will not cause a "bump" at the point of contact. If you have a lot of hats, hooks can run into money. Then later, as you add more hats, you may not be able to match the hooks you already have in the wall.

In the picture below, the top row of hats are on hat hooks. All the others are on long finishing nails (the ones without much of a head). I drilled a hole for each nail, at an angle, rather than hammering the nails into the wall. I also inspected each nail to make sure there were no "burrs" that would snag felt.

P1040534.jpg

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I think the only problems people worry about with hooks like that are because it is a sharp (relatively speaking) pressure point pushing from the inside of your hat. The hat doesn't weigh very much, granted, but in time it could start to poke out the felt at the spot the hat touches the hook.

I have seen several take a hook such as that one and put a ball on it, e.g. the round foam balls you can get at craft stores, to better distribute the pressure.

Of course, my hat rack hook isn't much different than yours, I simply try to make sure the point of the hook is on my sweatband on not the inside of the felt.

Al

One of the Regulars
Yo' Bro!

J.T.Marcus said:
You can use a hook like that. There are also other possibilities. Most hats are so light, that hanging on a hook will not cause a "bump" at the point of contact. If you have a lot of hats, hooks can run into money. Then later, as you add more hats, you may not be able to match the hooks you already have in the wall.

In the picture below, the top row of hats are on hat hooks. All the others are on long finishing nails (the ones without much of a head). I drilled a hole for each nail, at an angle, rather than hammering the nails into the wall. I also inspected each nail to make sure there were no "burrs" that would snag felt.

P1040534.jpg

What an impressive collection, I'm envious. You definitely have OCLD, and that's not a bad thing!

-Al

Al

One of the Regulars
J. M. Stovall said:
I know some people have just used brass door stops, seems to work pretty well.

Brass is fine, you can also get these made from wood, much cheaper. If you have a collection like J.T., the brass would cost a small fortune.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And if money's no object...Restoration Hardware has several nice vintage-style lines of hat & coat hooks. Planning to do that the minute I hit the Lotto for a six figure prize. Like that's gonna happen anytime soon...

But until then...I found a Craftsman-style rack that went with the rest of the furniture in the house at Target a couple of years ago. I'm not seeing the same one, but something like this or this or this probably costs less than just the hardware would cost separately. Yep, I was right - two hat & coat hooks alone at Target's $11.99. So you could buy two or three of the whole racks at $15-19 and have ten, a dozen or more hooks, get a 1 x 2 piece of oak or whatever wood strikes your fancy that's 6', 8' or longer and make one rack to stretch the length of the wall or however long you think you'll need.

If you think you only need a 5 or 6 hook hat rack...go back, get your libation of choice and have a few sips, sip back, relax,think again, let your mind wander...imagine a bigger, brighter world, think down the line a year or two...let visions of Akubra and Stetson and Fawcett and Borsalino dance in your head...Ah, now you get it, don't you?

:eusa_doh: Yeah...a five or six hook hat rack ;) ...rank amateurs...lol

Al

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
And if money's no object...Restoration Hardware has several nice vintage-style lines of hat & coat hooks. Planning to do that the minute I hit the Lotto for a six figure prize. Like that's gonna happen anytime soon...

But until then...I found a Craftsman-style rack that went with the rest of the furniture in the house at Target a couple of years ago. I'm not seeing the same one, but something like this or this or this probably costs less than just the hardware would cost separately. Yep, I was right - two hat & coat hooks alone at Target's $11.99. So you could buy two or three of the whole racks at $15-19 and have ten, a dozen or more hooks, get a 1 x 2 piece of oak or whatever wood strikes your fancy that's 6', 8' or longer and make one rack to stretch the length of the wall or however long you think you'll need.

If you think you only need a 5 or 6 hook hat rack...go back, get your libation of choice and have a few sips, sip back, relax,think again, let your mind wander...imagine a bigger, brighter world, think down the line a year or two...let visions of Akubra and Stetson and Fawcett and Borsalino dance in your head...Ah, now you get it, don't you?

:eusa_doh: Yeah...a five or six hook hat rack ;) ...rank amateurs...lol

Ok loungers...time to do math. 44 hats in J.T's photo collection X $11.99 for brass conversion that's $527.56 We're not done, now, add tax... well hell, forget the tax; that's a new custom made "Manhattan" from Optima!!!, or your custom hatter of choice!

I'd keep using nails, or wood.

Woland

One of the Regulars
Thanx everyone.

And Mr. Marcus; your collection simply leaves me in awe.

At one time I saw a wonderful set of hardwood hat hooks in the apt of Hercule Poirot.
Problem is; I cant remember which episode...
And; although confessing to a slightly manic nature, I cannot find it in my self to watch all 58 episodes once more... :eek:

The missus will decide (as always...).

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Al said:
Ok loungers...time to do math. 44 hats in J.T's photo collection X $11.99 for brass conversion that's $527.56 We're not done, now, add tax... well hell, forget the tax; that's a new custom made "Manhattan" from Optima!!!, or your custom hatter of choice!

I'd keep using nails, or wood.

OK lounger, let's do the math again, only lets do it correctly. ;)

The second example rack was $19.99 and had 6 hooks. For 44 hats, you'd need 8 racks (giving you 4 extra hooks for future expansion). That's $159.92 or $3.33 per hat.

Or you could buy the 2-pack of hooks alone for $11.99. That means you'd need to by 22 packs for the 44 hats. That's 263.78 or $6 per hat.

And Woland's collection, quantity unspecified, is "not exactly substantial" so I would assume it's well under 44 hats.

Woland

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
And Woland's collection, quantity unspecified, is "not exactly substantial" so I would assume it's well under 44 hats.

Indeed! :eek:

7 in the house.
2 in the mail.

And the Missus has a few. ;)

Al

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mike!

Mike in Seattle said:
OK lounger, let's do the math again, only lets do it correctly. ;)

The second example rack was $19.99 and had 6 hooks. For 44 hats, you'd need 8 racks (giving you 4 extra hooks for future expansion). That's $159.92 or $3.33 per hat.

Or you could buy the 2-pack of hooks alone for $11.99. That means you'd need to by 22 packs for the 44 hats. That's 263.78 or $6 per hat.

I stand corrected.

-Al

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
previous post

Bud-n-Texas said:
I use a combination of both

MVC-659F.jpg

Bud-n-Texas said:
Actually David I do not use a hook per se. What I use are rubber tipped door stops like this. It distributes the weight over a larger area in order to reduce the ppi and the rubber tip keeps the hat from slipping off. No bumps to date and it has been in use for quite a while now.

rigid%20door%20stop%20oil%20rub%20brz%20copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner