Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat in final scene of the movie Brick

16_sparrows

Vendor
126966255_816cdca945.jpg

So I just came back from seeing the movie brick and have fallen in love with this half hat/hair pin thing that is worn in the final scene. Does anyone know what this "hat" stlye is it called and where can I find such a thing?

The closest thing I can find is this millinery that makes feather hair pins, but it's not the same in any sense. This side hair accent would be perfect for me as vintage hats rarely fit my big noggin. Can someone help a large headed girl out?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pardon the intrusion

Those look like pheasant feathers.

Here's one similar

C47web.jpg

It can be found on this page: http://www.vintagedress.co.uk/40_70.html

I have one in the ribbon of this hat:

natural8-vi.jpg

Oh, and please tell us what you thought of Brick. There's a thread about it in the Moving Picture forum.

16_sparrows

Vendor
decodoll said:
It looks to me like they just attached a hair comb to a hackle pad. Hackle pads are sold for millinery use in order to make covering feather hats faster. Here's a link to a pheasant one. It would be quite inexpensive and easy to make.

http://www.featherplace.com/ic/fp/AP5120_R_A.html

Oh wow! Only $1.34 each pad. Thanks for that link. I'll just get a hair clip and attach it on there.

Zohar - Thanks for the link to the vintage shop. That hat is very pretty (though out of my price range) but they have so many other beautiful things there.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Thanks to Amber Rose and decodoll for your help! I bought some pads and experimented on one. Here is the result:

143070514_2bd82b1ac6.jpg

Compared to the one from the movie:
126966255_816cdca945_m.jpg

I have it on the reverse way than she does - I'm not sure which way I like it more. Anyway, I'm not completely happy with the results, but have two other pads to experiment on. Perhaps I will even get better photographs with those too.

In a similar note, for those interested in fancy looking feather facinators, I suggest this place. My friend got her custom made from them for her wedding and she looking absolutely wonderful with it (in fact, I think it took the spotlight off her dress and onto the hair piece!).

16_sparrows

Vendor
I said a little bit about it in this thread, but my opinion has changed to be more favorable after I saw it a second time. It is definitely a movie to see twice since everything goes so fast the first time, and my friend wanted to see it, so twice I went. But yeah, I came out of it the second time really liking it.

Rosie

One Too Many
16_sparrows said:
Thanks to Amber Rose and decodoll for your help! I bought some pads and experimented on one. Here is the result:

143070514_2bd82b1ac6.jpg

I think you did a really decent job, it's very cute. I think I may get one now. Did you use a hair clip? How did you choose to fasten it to you hair?

16_sparrows

Vendor
Rosie said:
I think you did a really decent job, it's very cute. I think I may get one now. Did you use a hair clip? How did you choose to fasten it to you hair?

I used a hair comb and hot glued it to the back (I hot glued the solid top part, not the teeth part). If you screw up the position, wait until it dries, pull it off and try it again. It's really easy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff