Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Jack vs other stretchers?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Just wondering what you all thought of the Hat Jack stretchers/shape retainers? I bought one from Del Monico for less than $20 and like it so far. It doesn't go very deep into the hat but seems well built otherwise, especially for the price. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jed

nickn5

One of the Regulars
On a budget I'd highly recommend it as a quick fix and suitable for minor adjustments. They are also splendid for keeping a crown shape once stretched, as they can just be left in the hat if needs be. Only minus point of the Hat Jack type is that they only extend two ways, so forcing a Long Oval shape. The vintage four-way types are better but cost more. I did consider getting one, as the price of them is very good, until I found a very much more expensive wooden block hat stretcher on Ebay. Cost me £155 inc. postage ($200) :eek:

143c_1.JPG

DSC00360.jpg

For serious stretching (more than a size) you would really be better off with the above type, an open crown shape wood block (or you can get heated too) stretcher, which helps prevent taper to the crown. Unless you like that sort of thing... :D

carldelo

One Too Many
Middle ground

If you want to step up from a Hat-Jack, and don't want to get the full-size hat-stretching golem above, I recommend this:

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_mjsupp.html

I picked one up a while back and it has a couple of advantages. First, the working surface is taller, so it supports more of the hat during stretching. Second, it has pins between the two halves so they aren't able to rotate with respect to each other, which I find annoying. Also, the hardware is high quality. I did a photo series comparing the two:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Hat stretching/

Also, there is a four-way hat stretcher available. I tried it out in the store, but by the time it got big enough for my 7-3/4 hat, the pins came out of their guides and it fell apart. It looked like it would work well for a smaller range of hat sizes though.

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Excellent thread didn't know I even needed this info.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Yep, I agree CB. Just might be the ticket for that tight Plantation of mine. Gonna go fishing in the Bay for one now.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
If any of you folks have a Harbor Freight Tools near you, they have a hat stretcher that appears very similar to the Hat Jack.....for three bucks and change. It's not made with any sort of master craftsmanship or anything, but it will do the job. I've used mine for everything from just holding a hat's shape as it dries, to brutally cranking a shrunken cotton bush hat until it was as tight as a snare drum.

My first one broke, but those folks are great about returns. It's a heckuva deal.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Daoud said:
If any of you folks have a Harbor Freight Tools near you, they have a hat stretcher that appears very similar to the Hat Jack.....for three bucks and change. It's not made with any sort of master craftsmanship or anything, but it will do the job. I've used mine for everything from just holding a hat's shape as it dries, to brutally cranking a shrunken cotton bush hat until it was as tight as a snare drum.

My first one broke, but those folks are great about returns. It's a heckuva deal.

I concur. It's nothing to look at, like the vintage ones, but it seems to stretch a hat, by grubs.

(Nice quote, Daoud! Any attribution?)

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Emerson, ackshully.......they don't give you a great amount of space for signatures here, so I was unable to properly attribute it. Ol' Ralph Waldo was a heckuva quotable guy, though- you can't go wrong with an Emerson quote.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Hmmmm.....well, they must have jacked (pun intended) the price up or mine was on sale.....but even so, it's still a great deal.

One note, though- for whatever reason, the hardware of these jacks is coated with some sort of plastic, and it tends to peel off under heavy usage, for instance if you're using a wrench to turn the turnbuckle while stretching a shrunken bush hat.......

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carldelo said:
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Hat stretching/

Also, there is a four-way hat stretcher available. I tried it out in the store, but by the time it got big enough for my 7-3/4 hat, the pins came out of their guides and it fell apart. It looked like it would work well for a smaller range of hat sizes though.

I purchased one of the 4-way stretchers from this co. and I have found that it is a tad snug just to get it into a 6 7/8 size hat. It required some amount of force but did not require any manipulation of the screw for the hat to fit just fine. I am a 7 - 56 - 4 1/2 size but the 6 7/8 will always fit with just a little assistance. Overall, I recommend this stretcher, as I am not a long oval size.

Cordite Blues

New in Town
carldelo said:

All of the 4-way hat stretchers I've found end at 7 1/2 -- still too small for yours truly Bunsen Honeydew.

Could a clever lad glue strips of thin balsa(?) wood on the outside of the form's four pieces and gain the necessary extra needed? I've not seen this suggested among the numerous threads on stretchers. Anyone tried this?

http://www.lawardrobesupplies.com/4-WAY-WOODEN-HAT-STRETCHER-p/3027.htm

CB

bunsen_honeydew.gif

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
Absolutely, that would work. You might also try some thick cork.

For what it is worth, I made a 4-way stretch for myself and it was no big deal. Took about an hour or so. Just looked at some photos of them on the internet and went from there. It isn't "pretty", but it works like a dream.

carldelo

One Too Many
Cordite Blues said:
All of the 4-way hat stretchers I've found end at 7 1/2 -- still too small for yours truly Bunsen Honeydew.

Could a clever lad glue strips of thin balsa(?) wood on the outside of the form's four pieces and gain the necessary extra needed? I've not seen this suggested among the numerous threads on stretchers. Anyone tried this?

http://www.lawardrobesupplies.com/4-WAY-WOODEN-HAT-STRETCHER-p/3027.htm

Seems like a good idea, I think you can find sticky-backed cork per Bill's post which would probably work well. Or you could substitute longer pegs and live with the gaps, but I like your idea better. If you like a standard oval shape, that's the way to go. If you want your hat to be a little more long-oval after stretching, I would opt for the two-piece as it stretches the length of the hat, but not the width (it's less money, too).

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Bill Greene said:
Absolutely, that would work. You might also try some thick cork.

For what it is worth, I made a 4-way stretch for myself and it was no big deal. Took about an hour or so. Just looked at some photos of them on the internet and went from there. It isn't "pretty", but it works like a dream.
worthlesswithoutpics Care to share a shot or two? :D

Cordite Blues

New in Town
images appreciated, if you can

Bill Greene said:
I made a 4-way stretch for myself and it was no big deal. Took about an hour or so. Just looked at some photos of them on the internet and went from there. It isn't "pretty", but it works like a dream.

How do the sides expand while expanding the ends? Are there two screws, one for length and one for width?

CB

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carldelo said:

Did the center screw keep the front & back together? My train of thought is that if the threads kept the front & back attatched, you can probally have some steel rods cut that are longer to keep it all together.

carldelo

One Too Many
bruce wayne said:
Did the center screw keep the front & back together? My train of thought is that if the threads kept the front & back attatched, you can probally have some steel rods cut that are longer to keep it all together.

Yes, that's correct. The front and back remain connected to the central threaded post. When I overextended it and the pins fell out, the sides came off and the front and back were free to rotate like a Hat-Jack. It all fell on the floor at the store and was a real pain to get back together. Longer rods would do the trick, as long as the holes can be made deep enough without penetrating the outside surface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters