Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat protection

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Bingo!

The problem I have with umbrellas is... I don't have a great one. If there's any wind at all it just flips inside out, plus I have to figure out what to do with it when I go inside somewhere. I usually don't feel the need for any hat protection, especially in snow etc, I usually wear a 1950's era Stetson (don't have a massive collection like some here) that seems to hold up fine, but we get some major downpours here from time to time.

Regarding knowing when it's going to rain... I don't check the weather, and around here it can go from sunny to downpour back to sunny in the space of an hour or two.

That is what a raincoat is for. High, upturned collar gets the space in between, making it work very nicely.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The logic you employ for eschewing a brolly is stellar....simply stellar......:rolleyes:

Hercule

Practically Family
scotchg.png
campdry.jpg
Scout.jpg

Why?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bingo!

The problem I have with umbrellas is... I don't have a great one.

I use an umbrella often, simply because as a college student I feel the need to protect my rather cheap backpack. I found an amazing umbrella at JosABank that is designed so that it is nearly impossible to invert under strong winds. It has quite a large diameter and is, quite frankly, extremely well made; the best I've ever handled, in fact. There is a nice wooden J-handle version and a collapsible version, both of which have the same diameter and features.

If you must have an umbrella, I highly recommend that one. It's somewhat expensive, but it is well worth the money.

Undertow

A hat that is of no use to me in the rain is of no use to me at all.

I never figured why Troopers would wear those rubbers on top of a hat as substantial as a Stratton.
[huh]

I'm sure someone will correct me if necessary, but I believe Trooper hats are made with a wool blend. Should that be the case, one would want to protect his hat with some cover to reduce the chance of color running, deformation, shrinkage, etc.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I use an umbrella often, simply because as a college student I feel the need to protect my rather cheap backpack. I found an amazing umbrella at JosABank that is designed so that it is nearly impossible to invert under strong winds. It has quite a large diameter and is, quite frankly, extremely well made; the best I've ever handled, in fact. There is a nice wooden J-handle version and a collapsible version, both of which have the same diameter and features.

If you must have an umbrella, I highly recommend that one. It's somewhat expensive, but it is well worth the money.

Well, therein lies the problem. My current umbrella was a gift from my soon to be parents-in-law, and was supposed to be "a really nice one". I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, but I'd feel bad replacing it.

Undertow

Use an umbrella. While a water resistant hat may keep your head dry , what about the rest of your body....

I'm in the same school of thought but I don't wring my hands in worry of a rainy day. If I know it's going to rain, I bring the 'brella. Otherwise, I deal with the rain as best I can. If it's raining, and I'm planning to trek out in it for an extended period, then a 'brella is silly. In fact, a nice fur felt would be silly too. Plan accordingly; bring a long coat, a heavy hat and some boots. [huh]

And no, I wouldn't scotch guard a hat. That's worse than slathering your good shoes with mink oil.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Ah, my ineptitude with the mechanics of this forum. One of these days I'll get it right...

Those pics of Scotch Guard et al were prefaced by "It may be heresy...", prompting my quest as to why.

Because a nice hat shouldn't have foreign chemicals sprayed all over it. It defeats the purpose of having a nice hat that is meant to help you in bad weather. I know I would never spray anything on my beaver hat, and it does just fine in rain. If its raining too had for that hat, I'll wear something else or just use an umbrella. What Undertow said I'll also echo. Scotch guard and mink oil both have places neither belongs on a good hat or a nice pair of dress shoes(I do use mink oil on boots and boat shoes though).

Neophyte

Well, therein lies the problem. My current umbrella was a gift from my soon to be parents-in-law, and was supposed to be "a really nice one". I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, but I'd feel bad replacing it.

Well...[huh] :beer:

Good luck to you sir, I honestly don't know how I'd resolve that :).

carldelo

One Too Many
Certainly, you're not referring to posts #3 and #4...

Well, the product linked to in Post #3 was a cowboy hat cover. The OP specifically asked for a clear plastic fedora cover, which is what I linked to. In light of Post #1 below, I thought I was answering the question directly.

Please excuse me if this has been brought up before, but I have a question.

It's fairly easy to find "rain bonnets" for cowboy hats.. That is to say a clear plastic covering that goes over the hat to waterproof it.

Does anything like this exist for the Fedora, or are we just supposed to use an umbrella in a downpour?

I see GT has already leapt to my defense - thanks for that....

Undertow

Well, the product linked to in Post #3 was a cowboy hat cover. The OP specifically asked for a clear plastic fedora cover, which is what I linked to. In light of Post #1 below, I thought I was answering the question directly.

I see GT has already leapt to my defense - thanks for that....

Sorry if I came off a bit boorish; just hoping you weren't referring to the pictures provided via the link.

(and yes, I did notice the difference ;))

Undertow

I was referring to the interaction between zetwal and bbshriver - "Is this what you are asking about?" "Exactly!"

You'd said, "Well, I see no one has answered the original post..."

Again, I apologize if I misunderstood your intent. Ain't no thang but a chicken wang, my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn