Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat protection

carldelo

One Too Many
I was referring to the interaction between zetwal and bbshriver - "Is this what you are asking about?" "Exactly!"

You'd said, "Well, I see no one has answered the original post..."

Again, I apologize if I misunderstood your intent. Ain't no thang but a chicken wang, my friend.

OH, gotcha, it took a while to get through the fog of the internets. This conversation would clearly have gone much smoother if our right feet were perched on a brass rail somewhere, with happy hour approaching.

The uniform hat worn by the state troopers in the state of Washington is a Stratton (I think) campaign style (think Smokey Bear) lid in a nice blue color. (The entire uniform is pretty darned sharp, I think, as cop getups go.) When the troopers are out in rainy conditions, which happens on occasion around here, they cover those hats in those plastic covers. And, sometimes they cover the uniform tops in a transparent plastic rain slicker sorta thing.

But that's a uniform, and the people who wear it perform tasks that require them to be out of doors for long stretches in inclement weather. If I'm going out on a rainy day, I either forgo wearing a hat I'd rather not get soaking wet (in other words, I wear a beater), or I bring an umbrella. A cop directing traffic, or investigating a collision, or issuing a ticket, etc., can't very well do those things while one hand is occupied with an umbrella.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The uniform hat worn by the state troopers in the state of Washington is a Stratton (I think) campaign style (think Smokey Bear) lid in a nice blue color. (The entire uniform is pretty darned sharp, I think, as cop getups go.) ....

Tony, do you know if the Stratton is a wool blend? I couldn't find a description on their website (thanks for the info btw).
Stratton Hats Felt Campaign/MP
f40lrez.jpg

Undertow

OH, gotcha, it took a while to get through the fog of the internets. This conversation would clearly have gone much smoother if our right feet were perched on a brass rail somewhere, with happy hour approaching.

Oh Lord, ain't that the truth! Carldelo, I'd be you a drink if I could, but I'm in it to 5, and then I'm off house hunting. No rest for the wicked, I guess!

Tony, do you know if the Stratton is a wool blend? I couldn't find a description on their website (thanks for the info btw).

I couldn't say for certain, but I believe they are made from "staple" (all rabbit fur) bodies manufactured by Winchester. Winchester (the felting plant) is now wholly owned by Stratton, or so I understand.

As long as we're on this topic ...

A customer, a local fellow, asked me if he can wear his new hat in the rain. I told him that while the beaver fur felt is itself somewhat water repellent, and while I add another water-repelling compound in the process of turning that raw body into a finished hat, it still isn't what I would call a "rain hat," in a similar sort of way that a wool and/or cashmere overcoat isn't a raincoat. In other words, if all you're doing is walking across a parking lot in rainy weather, or going for a stroll in a light drizzle, sure, go ahead and wear it. It's okay to let it get a bit damp, but don't think you're doing it (the hat or the coat) any favors. And don't put it (the hat or the coat) away until it has air dried.

Hats are items of attire. They won't last forever. The more you wear them, especially under less-than-ideal conditions, the sooner they'll show signs of that wear. C'est la vie.

There comes a point with some of us (most of us, maybe) when a hat is something other than just a hat. It's kind of like a pristine '57 Nomad -- you wouldn't use it for your daily commute, or for picking up paving blocks at the Home Depot, thinking that it would remain in such fine condition indefinitely. For that, you use the minivan.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got to admit, Tomasso, that's a great looking umbrella! I suppose one could acquire it for about the same price as a new car? The high end luxury market is crazy sometimes...

The Brigg umbrellas are strong and beautiful, but a quality frame is all you really need. Fox umbrellas are great. I picked mine up an an antique store for $5.
from the hats on a stick thread
DSC_0005.jpg

I couldn't say for certain, but I believe they are made from "staple" (all rabbit fur) bodies manufactured by Winchester. Winchester (the felting plant) is now wholly owned by Stratton, or so I understand.

You are correct sir. Lots of the blanks made at Winchester that go to Stratton are Nutria/Rabbit blends but no wool.
At least, that is what I recall from the most recent tour.

You are correct sir. Lots of the blanks made at Winchester that go to Stratton are Nutria/Rabbit blends but no wool.
At least, that is what I recall from the most recent tour.

They use nutria in those bodies? Cool. Those little buggers are establishing themselves out here as well, destroying habitat for native species, etc. My limited experience with nutria hat bodies has me thinking they're superior to rabbit, and by more than just a bit. So if the raw material can be had at a price competitive with rabbit, we could perhaps have a superior hat for a similar cost.[huh]

Rick Blaine

Some here have strong feelings about using such on vintage hats, or, some, any hat. I have used it on some contemporary hats, my Federation III for example. Hatsdirect once offered it as an option, for a few bucks, on the Akubras they sold.

Speaking from personal experience, these don't work as well as they seem like they should.

Kinda depends on what you mean by "don't work as well as they seem like they should." If the wearer is aiming to look dorky, I bet they'd work splendidly.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

They use nutria in those bodies? Cool. Those little buggers are establishing themselves out here as well, destroying habitat for native species, etc. My limited experience with nutria hat bodies has me thinking they're superior to rabbit, and by more than just a bit. So if the raw material can be had at a price competitive with rabbit, we could perhaps have a superior hat for a similar cost.[huh]

NURTRIA- “guilt free” fur, NYT 11/17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn