Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Question

Txmason

Familiar Face
I found this felt fedora hat. What do you all know about the material it is made out of etc. and if it's a good buy or if there is a better suggestion:

Home » Fedora Hats » Fedora Hats Priced $60 - $100 » Bailey Curtis Hat
Bailey Curtis Hat

Click to view a larger picture

Code: 7005
Qty. in Cart: 0
Bailey Curtis is a Litefelt(R) hat in the Casual Felt Hat Collection. The brim is 2 1/2" worn turned-down all the way-around. The crown has a low-profile and with a pinch. Bailey uses leading technology to produce Litefelt(R); a water repellent felt made of 100% wool. Soft and packable, with memory, Litefelt(R) hats spring back to their original shape. The Curtis is trimmed with a grosgrain hat band and a small Bailey pin. Made in USA.

Price: $62.00
Sale Price: $57.50

Click to find your hat size
Size:
Color:
Extras:

Include a standard Hat Box only - ($10)
No thanks.
Quantity:

MisterGrey

Practically Family
It's lightweight wool. It may be a very fine looking hat, but if it gets wet, it's shot. I've had a few before. They're very nice hats in terms of appearance and, to a lesser degree, some utility, but don't expect them to last the way that a beaver/rabbit fur hat would. Also, the price is a total ripoff. I've never paid more than $25 for a wool.

Txmason

Familiar Face
Mr. Grey thank you! What can you recommend instead? I am
looking for my first fedora. I sure could use the help. Where in Texas are you from?

Txmason

Familiar Face
That sounds wonderful! But I can't afford to fly to TN. I wish I could! Any other suggestions?

QUOTE=RBH;1401176]Brother... come to FedoraFest IV I am on the square when I say we will fix you up![/QUOTE]

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Mr. Grey thank you! What can you recommend instead? I am
looking for my first fedora. I sure could use the help. Where in Texas are you from?

I'd say a wool is fine for a first fedora, if you're on a budget and don't intend to wear it in the rain or the driving snow. They're inexpensive and fairly easy to come by in places that experience cold weather; several different stores carry them regularly during winter seasons. If you want to save up and purchase a real "workhorse" hat, you're going to want something made out of fur (beaver or rabbit); they're long-lasting and can take a hefty soaking without being ruined. They can also be re-shaped at will through steaming, another advantage over wool hats (which will just warp on you the way they would if exposed to heavy rain/snow).

There are multiple choices, with the prices rising dependent upon several factors (brand being one of them). Several Fedora lounge members swear by Akubra, a relatively inexpensive brand that lingers around ~$100 dependent upon the exchange rate for US to Australian dollars. I have no personal experience with the brand, so I cannot say anything for it myself, though the number of individuals who have had positive experiences with the Akubra speaks to a certain brand-name-reliability. Some loungers will tell you that a given article of clothing is only as good as the number of digits on the price tag, a point of view which myself and other loungers are not entirely supportive.

If you have an average sized head, another option is to seek out vintage hats on eBay; you can oftentimes find smaller/medium-range sizes for less than a new hat would run you. There are also "budget" fur fedoras, which have varying advantages/disadvantages. I have some hands-on experience with Scala's fur felt hats; the one I had had a rather flimsly band that was about as thick as a tissue and a severe taper to it that didn't let me slide my entire head into the hat. However, I have heard many positive things about Stefano hats, though I don't believe all of their models come with liners-- a potential problem if you sweat a lot, as the lack of a liner makes the hat more conducive to being discolored.

There are several threads here to check out regarding various hat brands, as well as links to different online retailers offering a variety of brands at a variety of prices. I would encourage you to check them out and come to an informed decision.

Txmason

Familiar Face
Jbucklin

I am from Montgomery. About an hour from Houston. I know Miller Hats is close but I talked to them today and although they were helpful. I'm just not sure where to get the best help. I had a hat cleaned shaped extra that was given to me. While its nice it's too small for my face. I asked the guy who did it how much a fedora style straw hat would be and he said about $175.00. For me I thought that was a bit much. Plus I checked out mypanamahats.com and the lady wasn't much help. So I'm not sure. Wish I had a hat buddy. someone to guide me through the hat process.

Jerry

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Since you live in Texas, you may want to check out the Stetson outlet. I'm not sure where it is, and I know it's a big state, but that's one suggestion. Stetson does quite a bit more than western hats, after all. That would be for a felt hat. Not the best fedoras, but not a bad place to start. http://www.millerhats.com/ has some nice starters, too.

If you want a good starter felt that will really take the elements, I suggest an Akubra. The Federation IV and the Campdraft are great, found here; http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?group=Fedora+Hats. Don't let the overseas shipping scare you. Even with shipping, the price is hard to beat for you'll get.

For a starter straw, check out Millers choices and also http://www.panamas.biz/ (this would be 'Panama Bob' who is a member here). You don't really have to spend much more that $50 to get a decent straw. At least, I don't think so. And aim under $125 for felt to start. That would be my recommendation.

You mentioned Optimo - Good stuff, but very pricey. Fully custom, and a good choice if you really know what you like and can pay the price.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Wish I had a hat buddy. someone to guide me through the hat process.

Jerry, you've got lots of hat buddies now. :)

If you're ever in the Dallas area, check out the Hatco outlet in Garland. PM me and maybe I could meet you there since I live about 3 miles from the outlet.

Jason

Txmason

Familiar Face
Jason,

Thank you so much for the offer! I might just do that next time I head up to Dallas. I will be sure and let you know ahead of time. I do need a hat buddy! Never shop for a lid alone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21