Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Repair Suggestions Needed Please : )

jpbales

Practically Family
Hey guys,
I've had my Stetson Leghorn hat for a little while now, and I love it, but it has this hole in the crown were the previous owner has handled it by the pinch too much:

Weaves.jpg

I'm terrified that the hole is going to get worse if I keep wearing the hat, which I love to do :D Just looking at the hat now and comparing it to that picture, I can already tell that the hole is bigger.

I've been thinking about repairing/patching up the hole in order to prevent it from spreading and getting worse. I've been thinking that I can glue in some sort of cloth to the underside of the hole area.

The thing is, I don't know what kind of cloth/material would work best or what kind of glue to use.
I was thinking that a brown cotton cloth and some elmers might work, but I don't think elmers is very flexible and it might show. Although the plus of elmers is that it's not too hard to remove (though I don't know how well it would come out of straw if it didn't work).

For any of you crafty folk out there, I would appreciate some adhesive and cloth recommendations. Thanks!!
Jimmy

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, that looks like a beyond non-noticeable repair, but, if that I were my hat, and I wasnt gonna throw it out, my first thought would be to apply some clear glue to the frayed edges. I wouldnt try to put the edges back together. I would leave it just like that to keep it from unraveling further. The result would be an extremely casual warm weather hat.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Scottyrocks :eek:fftopic: that is some hat in your avatar.

Thanks, CB, thats my Fed IV. How much do I love it? I love it so much that I dont post in the 'what hat are you wearing today' thread because its on my head pretty much all the time. :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scottyrocks said:
Thanks, CB, thats my Fed IV. How much do I love it? I love it so much that I dont post in the 'what hat are you wearing today' thread because its on my head pretty much all the time. :)

Got a couple myself love em :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey, jp,

I really like that hat - hole and all. But I would attempt, if it were mine, to arrest the spread of damage by using some medical tape inside, just beyond the hole itself. At the drug store you can get a roll of the stuff. It looks like a roll of Scotch tape, y'know in that little plastic dispenser. It's stranded so it's strong.

When I have a straw that is cracking (but not yet as far along as yours) I use silicone glue inside to actually fill the top/front pinch area so that when the glue sets it is solid in that area.

G'luck!

jpbales

Practically Family
great ideas guys!

I appreciate the suggestions.
HarpPlayerGene: That's a really good idea about the medical tape. I can probably find some that's "skin" tone which would be less noticeable than white. The silicon glue is a good idea as well- which I'll definitely remember for the future. When I finally do something, I'll be sure to post pics.
I'm still open to suggestions tho.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I would avoid any sort of self-adhesive tape because of the residue left as the tape adhesive breaks down over time.

I would suggest using a fairly thick Japanese rice paper - the kind that's used for repairing books and prints. You should be able to find some that's fairly close in an off-white color that will blend with the hat color. Should be available at any large art supply store. Once the paper is dampened with glue it will stretch a bit and conform smoothly to the curves inside the crown. You may find that doing it with 2 or 3 separate pieces will work better - test your approach without glue before you start. You can glue it in with acid free wheat past which is water-soluble if you ever want to remove it (google for instructions on how to make it (easy). If you feel there's a chance of the hat getting wet, then white glue is your best option. Work the paper smoothly in place with your fingers and work a little more glue in from the outside as the glue is drying a bit. Wipe off the excess with a damp cloth. Then, if you're reasonably crafty and steady of hand, you can paint in the weave with artist's acrylics (Liquitex). It would be a bit tedious and time consuming, but the result would be pretty satisfying.

Bear in mind that I was an art conservator at the Metropolitan Museum for a number of years, so tedious and time-consuming is s.o.p. for me...

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jpbales said:

The thing is, I don't know what kind of cloth/material would work best or what kind of glue to use.
I was thinking that a brown cotton cloth and some elmers might work, but ....

You are correct, JP, that hole will get worse if you continue to wear it. Check my sig. If you can accept this then we are done. If not then continue reading.

1. Find some straw fabric that may or may not match the leghorn weave and find someone to sew in a patch.

2. Find some cool pasely fabric and have someone sew in a patch inside and outside. This would make for some great conversation.

3. Burlap patch both inside and out - less interesting conversation than above.

4. Find a basket weaver or a - STRAW HAT WEAVER :eusa_doh: - to weave in a patch. A good weaver will understand the weave and be able to make a patch. And if the weave doesn't match who cares because any of the above choices will look like a damn patch :p!

My wife assures me that steps 1-3 are doable. I have to get in touch with a friend about step 4. I'll be back ;).

Wil Tam

Practically Family
it's been a while....

first off .... what value do you place on this hat? ie is it worth x amount of dollars to send it out to a weaver to be accessed & repaired?

if so then get it professionally done.

secondly .... can you wear it as is & use it as your fishing hat & not worry if it gets lost or trashed any further?

if so then just try to arrest the tear using a method mentioned above because CRH is correct that if you go this route it will look like a patch, regardless.

good luck

jpbales

Practically Family
good ideas

Warbaby: I see that you have some expertise in this area. You have some good ideas. That paper would probably be the best choice, BUT for now I just went the "use what I have around" route :eusa_doh: Though next time I'm near a JoAnnes I'll see if they have the Japanese rice paper you're talking about and pic some up.
CRH: A straw patch would be the best suggestion, if I had decided that it was worth it, and if I had the money! I think I would try to preserve the original look of the hat and avoid the look of a patch. Maybe someday I'll get a milan replica of this hat made (maybe one of those Miller Milan hats or an Optimo). Then I could just leave this one "as is" and wear the replica as I like.

For now though, I took Gene's suggestion. First, I used RoseArt School Glue around the inside of the hole to strengthen it and help keep it from fraying. It turned out to be clear, and it's washable if I ever change my mind (though I'm sure washing glue off it will probably encourage more fraying). I don't plan on wearing it roughly or in the rain.
Then, I used some medical tape that I had on hand (I didn't have the woven kind, only a rubbery band-aid kind) that was skin color and lined the inside of the hole with it. The tape can be removed if I find a better replacement. I'll probably take a fine-point sharpy or felt-tipped pen and draw some straw pattern on it eventually.

Here's the close-up of it, you can see that the hole has gotten bigger if you compare it to the original pic:
DSC01881.jpg

Here's the distant pictures, so you can get some perspective on how the hole looks:
DSC01884.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

If I get a chance to upgrade from medical tape to Japanese rice paper or burlap, then I'll post those pics too. More suggestions are welcome, even if for the sole purpose of helping others in future who may have the same problem.
Thanks to everyone for great ideas!!! I love this place!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wil Tam said:

if so then just try to arrest the tear using a method mentioned above because CRH is correct that if you go this route it will look like a patch, regardless.

These are Great Depression era techniques, JP. I described just what my Grandmother (your Great Grandmother) would have done.

I've seen what you did with your SunHat and I was impressed. The Illustrious Master of on the cheap hat makovers is on board now. Methinks your are bound to make a good decision ;).

jpbales

Practically Family
lol lol "The Illustrious Master of on the cheap hat makovers" lol lol
I take that as a compliment :D

I did a first-run with some tape and ended up pulling it off, and it did encourage the fraying some, but now I have it glued pretty well and I think that if I decide to remove the tape again it won't take any straw with it this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot