Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat shopping online

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone have advice about shopping for the right size and style of hat ... online?

I have done it for more than five years with success, mostly. The biggest problem is that when I bought an expensive beaver Borsalino fedora, my size came in too tight (because of leather sweatband), and instead of exchanging it for a larger size, I just kept it. Suffered with a too-small hat until this summer when Greeley Hat Works stretched it, and now it's fine. On other occasions with Borsalino, a hat with a cloth sweatband came in too loose at my size. But I developed a tolerance for hats that are a little too loose (easily corrected with foam tape or something else). You have to be prepared for some variation of size, and judge when a hat is just the wrong size. As to how it looks--when I take a new hat out of the box I am always surprised at how it's different than what I thought it would be. But that happens to me every time I buy something new that's costly, like a suit. So at least in my case, there is the surprise of what you got compared with what you thought. But all in all, I am very comfortable with online hat shopping now. Hats are always as advertised, as pictured, and I am better at guessing what I will like when the actual article arrives.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Nothing beats going to a haberdashery and trying on hats. Once you know your correct size and preferred color and style you will be able to purchase online with greater confidence and success.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
It helps to try on hats in person. Once you have a good idea of what kinds of hats work for you in person, buying online can work out a lot better. I've had a few troubles with online hats, but knowing the dimensions that work best for me (brim width, crown height, etc), helps me decide without seeing the hat in person first.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have bought a few online hats and found that Village Hat Shop is really good to work with ... cooperative, quick. I've never had to return anything, but you do need to know what you are looking for in a hat before you shop on line anywhere.
If you are new to hats, nothing beats going in to a full service hat store. The closest one to me is a couple hours away and I frankly have only bought a couple of hats from them, because I buy old hats and fix them up ... have for about 35 years.
Nevertheless, it's a great place to brouse, visit, get help ... They are going to rebuild a 1940s Dobbs for me, just as soon as I scrape up the bucks.

So start there. Try on some hats. Find out what you like.

Then worry about looking online.

BTW ... Make sure you try on both wool and fur felt hats so you see why there is a difference

Good luck,

Sam

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Anyone have advice about shopping for the right size and style of hat ... online?

Hello panamaJess. Welcome to the Lounge, glad to have you. I have ordered hats online several times from hatsdirect.com and everythingaustrailian.com. Both of these places are run and staffed by genuine friendly and helpful people who will make every effort to help you with sizing, shaping or any other question you may have. I can wholeheartedly recommend both of them. I am a satisfied customer of each and will return to purchase from them in the future. I've never had to return a hat to either. I followed their helpful advice and found out they were right. I'm sure there are other good ones, but these two are the ones I have used. Again welcome, you'll enjoy it here.

danofarlington

I have bought a few online hats and found that Village Hat Shop is really good to work with ... cooperative, quick. I've never had to return anything, but you do need to know what you are looking for in a hat before you shop on line anywhere.
If you are new to hats, nothing beats going in to a full service hat store. The closest one to me is a couple hours away and I frankly have only bought a couple of hats from them, because I buy old hats and fix them up ... have for about 35 years.
Nevertheless, it's a great place to brouse, visit, get help ... They are going to rebuild a 1940s Dobbs for me, just as soon as I scrape up the bucks.

So start there. Try on some hats. Find out what you like.

Then worry about looking online.

BTW ... Make sure you try on both wool and fur felt hats so you see why there is a difference

Good luck,

Sam

Village Hat Shop. Now I'll give you my worst-case scenario for an expensive hat. I bought the expensive Borsalino Panama Montecristi fedora from them; because the sweatband is a cloth ribbon instead of leather, my size of hat was quite loose. Too big. I called VHS; they did not have a size down, not their fault. A guy on the phone said, just use foam sizing tape. I've done that before, it's fine, he said. So not having a choice, they sent some and I used it although I was skeptical. Long story short, it was an excellent fix. Not only do I not notice the large size anymore--it fits perfect because of the foam tape--but the tape in front protects the hat from sweat staining in front, which certainly would have happened because of the thin cloth sweatband if I had the right size in the first place. The point of the story is that even though the very expensive, very fine Panama hat started out being too big, there was an easy fix stated by VHS, and I am very happy. So my worst-case scenario for online hat-buying is not very bad at all. And VHS was well-prepared for little glitches in online hat buying.

Last edited:

Bebop

Practically Family
Of course it's better to try on hats but that is not possible sometimes. Finding the right size online is hit and miss. I really haven't had problems when ordering online. Stetson seems to make their hats one quarter size smaller than my normal size (currently waiting for an exchange from Del Monicos). Akubra is perfect. I think it's a matter of just ordering and being prepared to send it back if it does not fit properly. I also like to call the online store to make sure they have what they claim on the internet. Sometimes they don't update their sites and you end up waiting a long time for your size.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
nothing beats going to a haberdashery and trying on hats. Once you know your correct size and preferred color and style you will be able to purchase online with greater confidence and success.
qft

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bebop

There surely are plenty of hat shops ... new and used ... in your region?

Sorry, didn't mean to call you Shirley

Sam

Nope, fail. The line must begin with 'Surely'.Surely there are plenty of hat shops.... Placing 'Bebop' and 'There' before 'surely' ruined the bit.

I once lived with a comedy writer.....[huh]

carldelo

One Too Many
For online shopping, the return policy is key. Village Hat Shop and Noggintops both pay for shipping when exchanging a hat - you only pay to return the hat to them - this is a fantastic policy.

Neophyte

For online shopping, the return policy is key. Village Hat Shop and Noggintops both pay for shipping when exchanging a hat - you only pay to return the hat to them - this is a fantastic policy.

:arated:

Heed this, this is probably the most important advice on this page :).

Big_e

Practically Family
I echo the above when I say that your first hat should be from a good hat store. You will learn your hat size and measure all the other hats you buy according to this.

Given all the great info above, if you do decide to buy online first, I suggest getting a friend to measure your noggin size. The size chart from Miller Hats is right on. With that I know that my hat size is 7 1/4 and my head measurement is 58 cm.

Most hat vendors will use either the metric size or the hat size in numbers. I don't find too many that use inches. I stay away from vendors that just use "Small, Medium and Large" sizes. Those are hit & miss at best since one vendor's idea of Large is different from another vendor's.
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic