Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat shops in the DC area???

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
I'll be heading 'up home' to the DC area next week and would like to drop in to a lid shop or two...any recommendations? Any that have a block'n'clean-it-while-U-wait service?

I have seen some vintage hats and threads from Raleigh's, Steven-Windsor, Hecht's, etc. Are there any traditional haberdashers that aren't at executive level pricing ($500 hats, $800 shoes, $2-3K suits), but still with quality US & European goods?

Thanks to all, as usual!

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Thanks, ZF...I knew knew that Hecht's was absorbed by the Macy's conglomerate, and that the times were a'changin, but I guess the icons of our youth are the epitaphs of time gone by. :cry:

Well, since I'm about 5'6" and 175, I guess I'm SOL for the threads, but any hatters or vintage shops worth investigating, anywhere in the Richmond to Balto area?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Got to admit...

I've just (since Christmas) gotten interested in fedoras. My real interest here at FL is the WWII stuff. PM Peter (Solid Citizen) he's a major hat guy in this area and he can probably steer you right. -- Fred

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Robert!

I got a couple of weeks of wear from the 2 Brisas I got from you - excellent! Now it's cool enough down here for my felts, but by spring, I'm sure I will be back in the Panamas!

The Hattery is still at 32nd and M in G-town, I presume...I'll definitely check them out while I'm there!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
3222 M Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20007

Ask for Anthony and tell him to show you some of the Montecristis and Cuencas I've sent over. If Vince is there, talk to him, too. He's the guy with years of experience. Even blocked for some panama hat company in Hawaii. Ask him about quality/price ratio.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Joseph!

I will put her number on my 'things to do' list and see what's available. I will only be in town for 3 days, but being a native, I can still get around there pretty well! That SS, Bethesda & Rockville traffic can be moidah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner