Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Size Question

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Hello.

I’ve been browsing this site for a few months on and off - lots of interesting forums here.

Anyway, I have a question about consistency of hat sizes which I hope some of you all can help me with.

I’ve been wearing this 10X Straw Stetson size 7&5/8 all summer and for Fall/Winter etc. I’m thinking of getting the 4X Fur/Felt Stetson in the second picture.

I’ll have to get it shipped in so, even though both hats are from the same manufacturer, will a size 7&5/8 Fur/Felt fit pretty much the same as the straw hat did or do you have to size it slightly different to account for any variations between the two materials such as the felt hat size maybe getting slightly larger or something after you’ve worn it for awhile.

Do I just go ahead and order the same size or what ?

Thanks

Grant_4.jpg

Grant_3.jpg

HatsEnough

Banned
Unfortunately, size is a state of mind, not a hard and fast rule, I've found. Sizes are general but I've seen the same hat maker have sizes all over the place. Some Stetsons size 7 fit me perfectly, others a tad too big others a tad to tight.

The only way to ever get a perfectly fitted fedora (or cowboy hat) is to have it made specifically for your head.

That all being said, it is a good chance that the next hat you buy will fit fine enough in the same size you've been wearing. Just be aware that there is no way to predict the fit until you have it in hand... or on head, as the case may be.

But, order that size that fit you before. You'll likely be OK with it.

There is a thread called "ask a question, get an answer" just for such queries...
I buy same size in straw Stetsons that I buy in fur felt Stetsons = 7 5/8. They both come a little too round for my Long Oval noggin but that is life in the modern factory hat world....

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I go down to the local Tack shop and try on the Stetsons, some are regular oval and some are long oval. I take a 7 3/8 LO so when I am trying them I go threw all the 7 3/8. Usually I find a one or two that fit a LO but never labeled as such. So long story short in my experience they are all 7 3/8 but not always the same shape. If you know what I mean.
My two cents worth.
No Tack shops out East?
Johnny

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Thank you for your help gentlemen.

Ordered the hat this afternoon and if need be I can pad the sweatband to make it fit better.

No Tack shops out East?

Yeah, there are but that model isn't so easy to find locally.

Ended up buying it from a shop in Calgary - their version is the only one of these that I've seen with the black & tan hatband which is actually what I wanted instead of the light colored one shown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff