Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Stiffeners

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Do any of the Canadian members know where I can get some type of felt stiffener? I hear Scout is good, but I don't seem to be able to find it in the greater Toronto area.

Regards,

Gooch

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Let me know,if they don't have it,you may be able to order online from a western dealer outside of Ont. and have it shipped to you.
CC
Turns out they use an "all purpose" starch that they get from box stores, Canadian Tire etc. I'm not too keen on trying that, so if you know of a Canadian supplier I can use, that would be great.

Thanks again.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Here is a place you can buy your stiffener it is a Bickmore product which all their products are top of the line,I use their bick 4 for all my exotic Lucchese boots.
They will ship to your door it took some time to find you a Canadian retailer in ON,I buy mine in MI as I am there all the time,

BeauChapeau Hat Shop
42 Queen St.
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
L0S 1J0, Canada * Name:
* Email:
Phone:
Toll-free: 1.877.YOURHAT (968.7428)
Local: 905.468.8011

Home / Accessories / Cleaning Products
Kahl Felt Hat Stiffener
Click over image to enlarge
Details
Price: $17.00
Product ID: 10FPR131-W10
Order
Quantity:
The selected item is out of stock, please select a different item or combination
Description

FELT HAT STIFFENER: This is the original hat stiffener used by professional hat makers to add shape and body to felt hats. Once you have your felt hat in the desired shape, spray it all over with Kahl Hat Stiffener to hold the shape. Will not yellow or flake off. Gentle on tone and texture. Will not affect future blocking or cleaning. 8 oz.

Browse more in Cleaning Products category
Recommended Products
Hat Care Products

CC

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Is there a "trick" to using Kahl's Hat Stiffener?

Either this product is the worst stuff ever made or I'm doing something wrong.

On some hats I've had remarkably good results, on others not so much.

On the bad attempts it seems like I have to use a whole bottle of the stuff to get the desired stiffness, then as the hat dries it leaves "white spots" all over the hat. Usually I can hold the hat over a steaming pot of water and the white spots will go away. This also tends to help the stiffener "set" to my desired stiffness of really, really, stiff.

But I'm getting tired of the effort it takes to get a good result.

There's got to be an easier way to use this stuff.

OT1899

Familiar Face
Hi, I used it before with pretty good results. I did notice that spray tip clogs easily, so you may want to make sure that the tip is clear and is spraying an even mist. I applied several "fine mist"layers letting it dry between applications until I had the results I wanted. As you noted, it helps to add steam to the mix. I steam the hat a little to heat the felt, apply the stiffener, let it dry and then use the steam again to set everything like you want it. Hopefully, this is helpful.

Bickmore hat stiffener consequences

i have used this many times in the past and have used it recently , and it does what it does, , My question is , does stiffening a hat make it more brittle, more fragile i guess one would say as when creased / bent, it would crack or divide hairs to bring on a weakened split, almost like a cardboard effect,

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I hope others chime in, but unless it was stiff as a hard derby, I doubt you'll get cracking. It would have to be pretty darn shellacked to crack, I would think.

I hope others chime in, but unless it was stiff as a hard derby, I doubt you'll get cracking. It would have to be pretty darn shellacked to crack, I would think.
i was watching outlaw Josey wales and man that guy was smashing the hell out of his hat , sleeping , etc, this pondered my curiosity, i have akubras and Bickmored them and Akubras are supposed to be very durable , and from the factory are shellacked within the fur process, but still, reduced flexibility could promote you know---- my thoughts

Last edited:
There are softer hats and harder hats. As a general rule, I avoid adding stiffener to felt hats. The exceptions are those with crown styles that won't hold without more stiffener than was in the body as received from the supplier. For a style with sharp vertical creases front and back, and a diamond top, I stiffen the hell out of the crown. (I don't use Bickmore, by the way. I buy some no-name stuff in larger quantities and at a far lower price from a supply house.) Oh, and I apply it to the INSIDE of the crown.

Among the reasons you may wish to steer clear of stiffener is that the hat (and you) will be more forgiving of someone who may sit upon it. With soft hats, you can generally push the hat back into shape, and you'd have to know it had suffered the indignity to detect any sign of it. A stiffer hat is likelier to "fold" in such a way as to leave visible lines. Steam and a bit of massaging may all but erase those lines, and it may not.

So yeah, you're kinda on to something, 'fish. But, as fedoracentric observed, anything less stiff than a derby wouldn't likely crack under circumstances short of actually trying to crack it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo