Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Stores-a list

TPD166

One Too Many
I was in Paris Hatters today and Abe told he had just been notified that he is being awarded the top retailer award for Stetson for 2012. He said he had been runner up a few times, but this was the first win.

I apologize if they have already been mentioned, but I have always had great experiences with Paris Hatters. I have done business with them even before I moved to Texas and they've been around since 1917. The store has a good selection of western and non-western styles. I have bought several hats from them as well as having many more cleaned and restored. Check my postings and you will see a number of examples of my hats that have been literally brought back to life by them. Prices are average on retail, but very reasonable on cleaning and repairs - plus I have never waited more than two weeks on any hat they have worked on.

Paris Hatters
119 Broadway
San Antonio, TX 78205
Phone: 210-223-3453
http://parishatters.com/

gcollins

One of the Regulars
I noted that Phoenix earlier in the thread a few years ago was absent from the list. A real good hatter in Phoenix (actually downtown Scottsdale) is:

Az-Tex Hats
3903 N. Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale

Large web presence of standard retail brims, but their shop is a real hat shop with people who also know a nice vintage 40s borso felt and how to refurb it, clean it, re-block it, as well as nice custom work on western and fedora brims.

Another fine and notable, real hat shop in Santa Fe (Western and Fedora, Custom and Brands) I do business with:

O'Farrell's
111 East San Francisco Street
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
505-989-9666

Best,
G

fashion frank

One Too Many
SALMAGUNDI OF BOSTON ROCK'S

www.salmagundiboston.com

Today I took a trip up to Boston today to get some hats deep cleaned and reblocked that I sniped on Free Bay in the last couple of weeks.

I can't tell you enough how every time I go to this hat store the service just keeps getting better and better!

I was there a few times over this summer but never got the chance to meet the owner , and today was the day that I did however ,and this gentleman knows his stuff.

What I liked about today's experience was that even though his store was very busy , because I drove 50 miles to get to
his store ( and was an hour later than I told him I would be ) he took the time to go over every hat that I brought to him
in detail, asked me want I wanted ,figured out the best way to go about it with each hat and what it needed without
spending a bundle.

Now I could have just as easily boxed them all up and sent them to cleanahat.com or what ever , but getting that one
on one with me was great , for example telling me on one certain hat that I did not need to spend as much as I thought I would need to ,he showed me how just a light cleaning on that particular one all that was needed ,he was really looking
out for me.

Also he now has a in house seamstress and he can do sweat band's right in the shop and he also has a quick clean
service, ( about 15 minutes ) a light cleaning while you wait ,and I thought that was really cool. so in closing if you live
anywhere around the southern New England area a trip to Salmagundi's is well worth it .

I have included some pictures of today's trip there, I also took some before pictures of the hats and when they are done I will post before and after pictures so you can really get an idea of how good they are at Salmagundi.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

The entrance to the store.
DSCN1540_zps15a1736b.jpg

Making sure I get a great fit
DSCN1541_zps9d4b6450.jpg

The inside of the store ( hat heaven )
DSCN1542_zps3cd35eae.jpg

The owner and myself in the store , he is one of the nicest guys you would want to meet !

DSCN1543_zps45bfb93b.jpg

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Great info there Fashion Frank !
Ill visit them if i ever get out out that way east...I lived in Roxbury in 1975 Still have friends in Boston.
Looks like great service they provide !
& you look Killer Nice Widebrim !

fashion frank

One Too Many
Yea There Great

Great info there Fashion Frank !
Ill visit them if i ever get out out that way east...I lived in Roxbury in 1975 Still have friends in Boston.
Looks like great service they provide !
& you look Killer Nice Widebrim !

Thanks for the kodo's on the hat ,and yes I had a great time there today !

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the photos of Salmangudi. I've talked to the owner before by phone and e-mail, so it's interesting to see the store and him in a photo. I definitely have them on the list for a visit if I can ever get up that way. I am very impressed by their website, and can't wait to see what they have in stock. Salmangudi also features a striking variety of modern women's fur felt (as well as wool) hats, the like of which I'd been hoping to see for a long time. They're the Wizard of Oz for women's hats, I think. I would like to see more women wear fur felt hats to match what the men are doing. But so far, I don't think they have the nerve.

tealseal

A-List Customer
SALMAGUNDI OF BOSTON ROCK'S

www.salmagundiboston.com

Today I took a trip up to Boston today to get some hats deep cleaned and reblocked that I sniped on Free Bay in the last couple of weeks.

I can't tell you enough how every time I go to this hat store the service just keeps getting better and better!

I was there a few times over this summer but never got the chance to meet the owner , and today was the day that I did however ,and this gentleman knows his stuff.

What I liked about today's experience was that even though his store was very busy , because I drove 50 miles to get to
his store ( and was an hour later than I told him I would be ) he took the time to go over every hat that I brought to him
in detail, asked me want I wanted ,figured out the best way to go about it with each hat and what it needed without
spending a bundle.

Now I could have just as easily boxed them all up and sent them to cleanahat.com or what ever , but getting that one
on one with me was great , for example telling me on one certain hat that I did not need to spend as much as I thought I would need to ,he showed me how just a light cleaning on that particular one all that was needed ,he was really looking
out for me.

Also he now has a in house seamstress and he can do sweat band's right in the shop and he also has a quick clean
service, ( about 15 minutes ) a light cleaning while you wait ,and I thought that was really cool. so in closing if you live
anywhere around the southern New England area a trip to Salmagundi's is well worth it .

I have included some pictures of today's trip there, I also took some before pictures of the hats and when they are done I will post before and after pictures so you can really get an idea of how good they are at Salmagundi.

The owner and myself in the store , he is one of the nicest guys you would want to meet !

DSCN1543_zps45bfb93b.jpg

One of my absolute favourite hat stores. It makes me sad that I no longer live in the neighbourhood, but I'm hoping to drop by this coming May. Jessen is a great, patient, knowledgeable, and passionate individual. As a bonus his prices are excellent for a B&M store these days.
I also have two of his ties.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I am in complete agreement !

One of my absolute favourite hat stores. It makes me sad that I no longer live in the neighbourhood, but I'm hoping to drop by this coming May. Jessen is a great, patient, knowledgeable, and passionate individual. As a bonus his prices are excellent for a B&M store these days.
I also have two of his ties.

I have to agree with you on the owner ,he really understands customer service and your right for a B+M store,
very reasonable and his re block and cleaning service is great ,plus he now has a seamstress on hand to do
bands so return time is now less than before.

Thanks for the comments and adding to my already great experience at Salmagundi's.

TPD166

One Too Many
I was in Paris Hatters with my son on Friday and Abe had received his 2012 Retailer of the Year award from Stetson. I told him I would share a picture on TFL:
Abe_1feb13_zpscec7b356.jpg

I was in Paris Hatters today and Abe told he had just been notified that he is being awarded the top retailer award for Stetson for 2012. He said he had been runner up a few times, but this was the first win.

Landman

One Too Many
I was in Paris Hatters yesterday and Abe was telling me about the award. He said he sold almost 1,000 Stetsons last year. If I remember correctly the exact number was 960. That's just Stetsons! He also sells most all other major brands. I thought that was pretty impressive considering he is mainly a brick and mortar store and doesn't do much internet business.

Dronak

Familiar Face
Can anyone here recommend some good hat places in the Washington DC area? I searched this thread for Maryland, Virginia, DC, and Washington, but only the last one came up with anything -- The Hattery in Georgetown, which I think I've read is closed now, and Hats by Haber, whose web site (http://www.hatalog.com/) is still so I assume is still around and I'll look at. I'm aware of Hats in the Belfry (http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/) having stores around here, though I'm not certain how good they're considered to be. But I'm not necessarily looking for the best of the best, just places where I can get nice hats. I could travel out to places like Baltimore, Annapolis, or Virgina near DC, but places in the Maryland side near DC are more convenient for me. So can anyone provide some updates on the DC hat scene? Thanks!

The Inspector

One of the Regulars
Can anyone here recommend some good hat places in the Washington DC area? I searched this thread for Maryland, Virginia, DC, and Washington, but only the last one came up with anything -- The Hattery in Georgetown, which I think I've read is closed now, and Hats by Haber, whose web site (http://www.hatalog.com/) is still so I assume is still around and I'll look at. I'm aware of Hats in the Belfry (http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/) having stores around here, though I'm not certain how good they're considered to be. But I'm not necessarily looking for the best of the best, just places where I can get nice hats. I could travel out to places like Baltimore, Annapolis, or Virgina near DC, but places in the Maryland side near DC are more convenient for me. So can anyone provide some updates on the DC hat scene? Thanks!

I couldnt find one when I was visiting, but if you do find one be sure to share!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
There is a place in Baltimore called Hippodrome Hatters (www.hiphats.com) that makes hats as well as selling them. So that's clearly a full-service shop. I haven't been to the store, but it certainly sounds like it's worth a look. This article (http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-hat-stores-in-baltimore/) is primarily from a women's hats perspective, but it says that Haber has the biggest selection of men's hats in the DC-Baltimore area, so it would be worth investigating. I used to work on King Street in Alexandria, VA, and there was a Hats in the Belfry shop on my walk to work. The store was definitely aimed more at tourists, with lots of costume and souvenir hats, but they did carry some very nice fedoras and other dress hats, too. They have a pretty good selection of current production Stetsons and such on their web site. They also have their own Belfry branded hats that can be a good buy for some styles.

I don't know where DC's high-powered politicians shop, but there must be a few old-time haberdashers around to service that wealthy, image-conscious crowd. And it seems possible that such a shop might also have a selection of fine (pricey) hats. But I can't point you in any specific direction on that.

Andrew

-30-

A-List Customer
"I don't know where DC's high-powered politicians shop, but there must be a few old-time haberdashers around to service that wealthy, image-conscious crowd."
QUOTE: KingAndrew.

I tend to believe that those who are elected would shop within their home State for obvious reasons; the bureaucrats are another matter.

There may be more tailors though, to deal with the pol's weight gain; they being associated with all of that "Pork".

Regards,
-30-

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Pork indeed. I guess that means that instead of fedoras, Congressmen should sport porkpie hats. Of course, we really associate them with styrofoam boaters at covention time...

I have found one DC store that looks like it should go into the master list. It carries a wide selection of hats, including some higher-end fur felts, although most of its stock looks to be more cost-conscious. I'm also not so sure they can clean or block hats, although they can probably tell you who can.

Andrew

Propper Topper
1350 Connecticut Ave., NW (Just off DuPont Circle)
Washington, DC 20036
202 842 3055 dupont@propertopper.com
www.propertopper.com

Dronak

Familiar Face
Thanks for the information. I've bookmarked the web sites of the stores mentioned, so I can check them out later when I have more time. I've been to the Hats in the Belfry store in the National Harbor once before. It didn't seem to have what I was looking for at the time, but it looked like an OK place. At the time, I just happened by it, so I wasn't aware of their web site or that the selection there is larger. I'll try to take a look at these places some time. Thanks, and feel free to add more suggestions if there are any other places that might be worth checking out.

SALMAGUNDI SALE!!!!
I don't work there or have any interest except the benefit FL members, (and why not help out Jessen and Andria) but Boston area members should check it out...

the Early Bird get's the worm...

EARLY BIRD SALE!
this happens just
ONCE A YEAR!
for THREE HOURS ONLY!

is there something
you've had your eye on?
ALL HATS, Handbags, Ties,
Flasks, Belts, Wallets, Dresses,
Scarves, Gloves, Jewels & Gems;
all the WONDERFUL THINGS
that SALMAGUNDI BRINGS
on SPECIAL for three glorious hours!

this Sunday, February 17th
6:00 to 7:30am: 40% OFF
7:30 to 9:00am: 30% OFF

password: "Come Fly with Me"

scramble for GOODIES
with fellow SALMAGUNDIANS
and Sip Mimosas in line while you
catch your breathe....
what better way to start off Sunday?

READ THE FINE PRINT:
this SALE is a private, 21+ event
have ID and password ready for doorman
discounts apply to Fall/Winter stock ONLY
and cannot be combined with other offers.
Special Orders, Holds, and Hat Services
are not included in this SALE.
be in line by 7:30am to receive 40% OFF!
be in line by 9:00am to receive 30% OFF!
Early Bird Sale items do not earn Loyalty Rewards
VIP discounts do not apply
all sales are final

It's always a pleasure, Andria & Jessen

VISIT US ONLINE: http://www.SALMAGUNDIBoston.com

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member