Hat Stores-a list

Discussion in 'Hats' started by handlebar bart, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Dronak

Dronak Familiar Face

Thanks for the info. This article says that "Beane still works full time at Bene Millinery", so maybe that's a place worth checking out. There is a Google+ page for Bene Millinery & Bridal Supplies (https://plus.google.com/104903460034980826952/) which seems like it would be the place, but there's not much store info on the web, as you said. I guess I'd have to call or stop by, which maybe I can do the next time I'm in that area of DC.

2. CaramelSmoothie

CaramelSmoothie Practically Family

Dronak,

Yes that is the accurate location of her shop. She doesn't have a website but if I were you I would call before going to make sure she is open on that particular day, with her being in her 90s I don't know how consistent her hours are so just to be on the safe side call ahead.

3. Mr. Bingley

Mr. Bingley Familiar Face

+1 for the Delmonico Hatter. Just was in there this morning and the were extremely helpful and polite.

4. Brass Rooster

Brass Rooster Vendor

I own and am The Hatter for The Brass Rooster, A traditional hand made hat company in Milwaukee WI. We are a Hatty Award winning, internationally recognized, hat shop and now traditional manufacturer. I make every hat to order
    and use only the best quality materials i have access to. Stop by BrassRooster.com to see more. I would love to make any of you hat. Thanks, John McLaughlin

5. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

I remember reading about Ms. Dorothy Height in the Washington Post when she died. She was the examplar of Washington, D.C. African American ladies' church hats. They do it like the English royals. Something to see.

6. Landman

Landman One Too Many

I just wanted to say that John refurbished an old Stetson Stratoliner for me last year and did an excellent job. Thanks John.

7. facade

facade A-List Customer

You have a wonderful looking store. Though I must say how can you be a hat store in Wisconsin and not carry the iconic cheese hat? Surely this is an oversight?

8. Maudelynn

Maudelynn Familiar Face

Hat Repair in LA

One of my beloved horsehair cloches got nipped on the brim by my teeny dog. I was hoping it can be repaired (the hat, not the dog; she is fine, but now permanently terrified of my hats.)
    Are there any amazingly wonderful hat restorationists/ repairers here in LA anyone can recommend ?

Thanks so much

9. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

Have you tried Baron Hats in Burbank? They are mostly custom, but probably have the repertoire for vintage women's hat repair.

10. gonnabeadoc

gonnabeadoc New in Town

Hat Shops around Greensboro NC?

I am new to this forum, hats, and Greensboro NC. I was looking into getting into wearing head covers, a nice fedora will do.Anyone know of a haberdashery anywhere closeby? Google knows nothing. Thanks

11. Captain Lex

Captain Lex One of the Regulars

J Peterman $35 Pith Helmet

http://www.jpeterman.com/Lightweight-Pith-Helmet

I was perusing the newly-arrived user's manual and saw, on the same page as their $178 safari jacket, this lightweight pith helmet. $35 is a low price for anything on the Peterman catalogue, let alone a hat that's aimed to be sold alongside a more high-ticket item. So far I've had a lot of luck with Peterman, but I do sometimes wonder when I see a low price like this.

The only way I can imagine it being of reasonable quality for the price is that Peterman assumes it'd be harder to move at a higher price because it's honestly more of a costume piece these days. I guess that works out for me, eh? Does anyone have any warnings regarding it? Any red flags?

12. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

13. Captain Lex

Captain Lex One of the Regulars

Excellent, thank you! Exactly the sort of thing I was expecting, sadly. Related: what makes a proper pith helmet proper?

14. ofcoursemyhorse

ofcoursemyhorse Practically Family

http://portobellohats.com/home.html

Opened in Santa Rosa, around an hour north of San Francisco. I'll have to stop by sometime soon and look at their stock of vintage hats.

15. KingAndrew

KingAndrew A-List Customer

Doc-
    There are two possibilities in the Greensboro area.

One is a Charlotte store called Alexander Hats. They sell Stetson and Borsalino hats, among others and have an active website at www.alexanderhats.com

Alexander Hats
    Telephone:
    (704) 493-3760

131 Brevard Court
    Charlotte, NC 28202

HOURS:
    Monday thru Friday:
    11:00am to 6:00pm

Saturday:
    11:00am to 4:00pm

Sunday: closed

The other place I see mentioned is the Hat Lounge in Durham's Northgate Mall. All of the online reviews are very good, but the web site is down, so I don't know if this place is still open. You should probably call before you make the trip. Here are the details.

The Hat Lounge
    Address: 1058 W Club Blvd, Durham, NC 27701
    Phone:(919) 286-4287
    Hours:
    Saturday hours 10:00 am–9:00 pm

We really ought to update the master list with the new info we've dredged up over the past 5 or 6 pages...

16. Maudelynn

Maudelynn Familiar Face

Thanks bowlerman, I will check them out!!

17. Geldoc

Geldoc One of the Regulars

Looks like The Hat Lounge is no more.

18. KingAndrew

KingAndrew A-List Customer

It's too bad. It sounded like Hat Lounge was a really good shop. Good luck with Alexander Hats, though.

19. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Hatters near Columbus?

I spoke with the folks from Batsakes about having my Bradford resized...Their price seems reasonable but I'd rather try to find something closer, like Columbus...We have a Rod's Western Shop here who will do cleaning and recreasing but nothing really beyond that.

20. RaiderKid

RaiderKid New in Town

Hatter in Houston, TX

Does anyone know of a quality hatter in Houston, TX that takes good measurements both for circumference and head shape, long oval, etc? There has to be a good one here somewhere.

James