Hat Stores-a list

Discussion in 'Hats' started by handlebar bart, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

There are definitely some characters in this city, and he seems to be one. I think he does the Fouquet look better than Fouquet.

And oh my gosh, I just googled Fouquet to make sure I was spelling his name right, and his hats are $1250+!

Yeah, no. If I had that much money for a hat, I'd get an Optimo Silverbelly, or Art's legacy felt, not a burnt piece of nonsense. Suddenly a medicine hat looks a lot more practical!

M Hatman, Bob Roberts and RJR like this.
  2. Windsock8e

Windsock8e A-List Customer

Any recommendations for the UK or France? I know of Christy, Lock and one more off Jermyn street in
    London but there must be others?

3. steur

steur

There is Laird Hatters. They have three stores in London:
    23 New Row
    Covent Garden

18 Sherwood Street
    Soho

103 The Strand
    all in London of course. Nice guys.

4. Windsock8e

Windsock8e A-List Customer

Thanks, will look them up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. sebastian czentner

sebastian czentner One of the Regulars

Im not sure if envy hats to exterior but is www.lagomarsino1891.com , has a couple of nice fedoras.
    Maidana
    Rivadavia 1923- Buenos Aires
    Maidana hadn't a website

6. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

Jarrod @jlee562 , I saw your 2/2017 post , and it made me think of Watson's in Cave Creek , AZ : www.watsonshatshop.com
    Customs from $999 to $3,500

• HOURS
      Mon: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tues - Sat: 10:00 AM - 6:30 PM

Sun: By Appointment Only
    • COME CHECK US OUT
      Watson's Hat Shop is located on the northern border of Scottsdale in downtown historic Cave Creek, Arizona.

ADDRESS
      Stagecoach Village
      7100 E. Cave Creek Rd.
      Ste 148
      Cave Creek, AZ 85331

PHONE
      480-595-9777

EMAIL
      info@watsonshatshop.com

7. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Is anyone familiar with the name Max Eckard? I remember seeing the name on a hat box, it was followed by (Berlin) in brackets. This photo from 1927 intrigues me.
    hat-shop.jpg

8. Mighty44

Mighty44 New in Town

Hello All--

I've got a Whippet-style Borsalino that I love but I never wear. I've finally realized that the brim -- at almost 2 3/4 -- is just too wide. In addition to looking a little too dramatic for my tastes, it curls up in back like a bowl and droops too much in front.

I'm hoping that trimming it to 2 1/2 and reflanging and probably stiffening it would fix all these problems (and not just ruin the hat). I'm in NYC so near JJ Hat Center that offers these services (looking at their menu it would be about $150 all in). Wondering if anyone could recommend this spot or suggest a trusted milliner I could reach out to about this project.

Thanks,

David

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

If we are talking about a vintage Borso from the old factory, I would suggest you pass the hat on to a new owner rather than carry out extensive modifications.

If you've got a modern Borso with a gold applique, have at it. If you ship it out anywhere you are looking at at least $30 round trip shipping charges on top of the refurb costs.

deadlyhandsome and hatsRme like this.
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

For clarity.....is the brim bound in grosgrain? If yes, that will be the most expensive aspect. If not I can trim the brim to 2 1/2", shellac to stiffen, reflange for $60 but then you add the postage return of about $45. If you need it to have the brim binding added there is another $50 so the JJ price is your best option.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

11. I agree with hesitating on cutting down a vintage Borsalino. Newer Borsalinos don’t give me any pause.

I haven’t used this company, but I’m planning on doing so. Maybe you could be our guinea pig:

https://standardhatworks.com/hat-services

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  12. Mighty44

Mighty44 New in Town

Thanks so much for the input -- I hear the hesitancy to alter a vintage hat and so perhaps will just try and get it reflanged first to see if just having a little flatter brim front and back is a lot of what is putting me off.

belfastboy -- it is indeed a grosgrain binding, so any way would be an expensive undertaking.

Cheers

13. suitedcboy

suitedcboy One Too Many

If you are thinking about sending it out then you have nothing to lose if you try something simple. First a question: Are you a really long narrow skulled person? If your head is really oval then the head shape may be stressing the hat and making the brim snap up more in rear and down more in front. If not then continue.
    You can flatten the brim by spraying it with distilled water to dampen it but not soak it and then use zip lock bags filled with rice (several of them) and place the hat on a large cloth or towel on a flat surface and place the rice bags all way around and let it stay that way for at least 36 hours or until dry.
    You may find that with the brim flatter the brim width is no longer a problem.

14. Mighty44

Mighty44 New in Town

It’s not tension from the head but a natural curl in the brim—it looks like a shallow bowl when snapped up, so when the brim is down it looks kind of cartoony —steep up in back and steep down in front. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I’m a little afraid to try anything myself so I might just take it to JJ’s and see if I can get a pro to look at it see what they think.

15. The $30 that Standard Hatworks charges for brim binding is about as inexpensive as it gets. Add in the $40 for the brim cutdown and flanging and the $40+ shipping there and back and your well over $100 for this modification.

16. Aerielle Max

Aerielle Max Familiar Face

I find this one really interesting