Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat theft! Happen to You?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
My baseball cap got stolen off my head when i was in high school. Damn those bullies. I hate testosterone; it makes people do such silly things.

bk

I had a similar experience. When I was in grade school a class mate took my news boy cap off my head the proceeded to throw it up on top of the church. Yes I went to a catholic school.

Subsequently I never wore hats much after that. I guess you could say the event was kind of traumatizing it was a nice hat I know this now even though I was still upset about it back then.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Mindraker said:
That probably wouldn't go over too well here in the USA. Was that while you were in Europe?

Don't be so sure. I had a Stetson taken right off my head in the middle of the day while walking down the street in NYC. This was several years ago, but luckily a pretzel vender saw the whole thing and grabbed the kid. He dropped the hat but slithered out off his jacket and took off. The pretzel man was left holding the jacket, and he was really mad too--yelling at the kid for harassing the tourists.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I heard a funny story (may have read it on here) about a fellow who came into a hat store in NYC and bought a newsboy cap to wear out in the cold. He came back in a few minutes later, cap-less and looking flustered, and said, "I need another hat like the one you just sold me." He had walked out of the store, and, while standing on the street corner, a bicycle courier had whizzed by and stolen the cap right off his head!

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Orgetorix said:
I heard a funny story (may have read it on here) about a fellow who came into a hat store in NYC and bought a newsboy cap to wear out in the cold. He came back in a few minutes later, cap-less and looking flustered, and said, "I need another hat like the one you just sold me." He had walked out of the store, and, while standing on the street corner, a bicycle courier had whizzed by and stolen the cap right off his head!

I think it was here but it was a felt baseball cap i think.

Hondo

One Too Many
Wconly said:
This has happened to me one time. Years ago, my wife (ex) and I were at a New Year's Eve Party. I had an Indy-style Stetson. At the time it was the coolest hat I had ever had the pleasure to own. When we went to the coat/hat check out at the hotel, we were in. It was gone! I totally came un-glued! I started complaining to the person that was in the booth and then to the manager of the hotel. Low and behold....here came three guys (all teenagers) with one wearing my hat! He was two times bigger than me, but it did not stop me from comfronting him. My wife, almost died, but I pushed him into the wall and gave him a strict lecture about theft -- especially a person's hat -- and, the love an value that we place in these instruments of self-gratification.

Looking back, it probably wasn't worth the anger, but I think I made a solid impression on him that will last a life-time. My wife thought I was nuts -- so be it -- it was 'my' hat, and no one walks away with another man's hat without paying the price. Just my 'two cents'! W>

I don’t blame you, glad no physical contact was made with the kids.
I would have reacted in the same manner, no one touches my hat! :mad:
I first would have checked if this hotel’s hat checker was bonded for theft and if not I’d have held it in my hands all night.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Once, in a bar, I had my Thomas Begg 1"-brim hat sitting on a barstool next to me. When I returned from a quick trip to the bathroom, the hat was gone. This place is like Cheers for me, long-time acquaintances all around. I totally flipped--this lid is one of my most prized posessions. I was making so much noise, and frantically looking around and asking people if they'd seen it, some guy who's not a regular came up to me sheepishly and asked, "The nice grey one?" He then went on to say that he had thought it was his girlfriend's, so he'd put it in his car as they were about to leave. Likely story! You tell me, does this look like a hat a woman would wear:

begg3.jpg

Matthew

New in Town
funnegirl said:
I think the lowest is the hat theft in a church. Tsk tsk, what is the world coming to these days?

Moral deficiencies? Your telling me! Last Eostar, someone took my hat during the coven meeting. I think it was was the nephew of the priestess, but I can't go around blaming people.

I was at a restaurant and some elderly fellow mistook my hat for his. Until I stopped him, he almost walked out with it.

Matt

BigSho

Vendor
I was visiting the fine college town of Iowa City a few years back. I was in this bar, and was wearing one of my stetsons. A gentleman who was obviously drunk kept on asking me to see my hat. I respectfully declined because it was new and well I am not dumb enough tot hand a drunk guy my hat. So anyway after a while he actually tried to grab the hat off my hat. Tried is the key word. I was not a happy man.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

P.S. Adamsgottchalk I sold a very good looking woman a stingy brim pork pie with and 1 1/2 inch brim not 3 days ago. She looked quite good in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran