Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hatband migration

deanzat

One of the Regulars
I've noticed that on all of my hats, the bands slide up above the brim in the front, whereas they stay adjacent to the brim elsewhere. Is this "normal" or at least common?

thanks, Z

jec

One of the Regulars
Z - Do you notice this with ribbons, as well as leather bands?

I'll be curious to see what response you get from others on the Lounge.

I have an older Stetson with exactly this problem: the ribbon up front is nearly 1/4" above the brim, but still flush along the sides and back. I had been thinking of sending the hat out for a reblock and asking for the ribbon to be adjusted, too.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
tack it down

I have one hat .. a Cavanagh that is one size too small that I have been training on my head a few hours a day and the ribbon rides up .. I just tacked it down with a needle & thread at three points -- right, center & left -- on the bottom against the brim. That stopped the problem... if that helps.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Might be the fit

Well, my newish Banjo Paterson is kinda snug, but my ancient Stetson fedora is not so snug. I ordered my FedIV a little big, so I'll see what happens there. Thanks, Z

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I see this often, even with hats that are correctly sized or a little large. It depends how it's held in place, and how much the ribbon or band gets touched by you or something else. When I see it, I gently push it down. If that fails, I have clean needle nose pliers that work smashingly. It's no big deal. [huh]

Swagman

New in Town
deanzat said:
Well, my newish Banjo Paterson is kinda snug, but my ancient Stetson fedora is not so snug. I ordered my FedIV a little big, so I'll see what happens there. Thanks, Z

Deanzat - same issue with me and my newish Banjo. Things didn't get any better after I put the stretcher on the hat and the front and back brim curved downward even more. Learning my lesson with the Akubras and go a little larger.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I find this is a result of removing your hat with one hand grabbing the brim in front. It shoves the ribbon up. I just push it back down, and try to remember to take the at off by grabbing both sides of the brim and pulling upward - or just grab the pinch like every other guy does when no one's looking. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy