Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Alive'n'Amplified, Mar 6, 2013.

1. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

From the Masters of Malt website:
    "Lagavulin is one of a trio of distilleries sat on the south coast of Islay, producing some of the smokiest whisky Scotland has to offer, with the Lagavulin 16 Year Old standing as their most storied expression."
    And that is a 16 year-old doing justice to that magnificent hat. I know now where Esther got her inspiration from.
    aloha 167.jpg

2. Scooterz

Scooterz Practically Family

The greatest comment on a scotch whiskey I have ever read was on Master of Malt website and was about Lagavulin 16.

"Old, Surly, Biked Islay in the rain stoned, Seek the hidden behind the bar, piss off !

Well, I have read the reviews and all I have to say is this is the Scotch that walks into the room and says piss off ya Beta males, I'm here and I'm SMOKIN'. It IS an acquired taste, it IS a love it or leave it; hopefully you leave it for the benefit of all the lovers of it. All I can say, is you walk up to the door to the reception of this marvelous home of Scotch and it's like your grandparents old house in the Orkney's. You are greeted by Mrs. Doubt-fire. In a wee whisper she takes you into her dining room ( taste room ) with Oak clad walls tastefully plaqued with awards and citations. On a long wood buffet sits bottles you only dream of. There is no watchful eye, but elegant and generous pouring of what ever you request, the age deep into the late seventies if you like. I try the Lag ga voo lin 18. Gold. Elixir of kilted Gods. I will not effuse winded descriptions of exotic teas and creosoted seal flippers, I'll leave that to the malthead Cryptographers. So........ in a wee brogue voice, the grace and manners that your gran used to have, she asks if you enjoyed it ? Like asking a 16 year old what he thought of their first sexual experience ! My wife drags me away, and God bless her, ranks that as the best she has had, including the trip to Oban, Spyside, as far south as Bladnoch and Glenkinchie as far north as Scapa. This is the peat. This is liquid earth. This is home. This is what keeps you from killing yourself on a stark and desolate landscape. Now the 16 - lovely. And as a Scot, when Costco in Kona had it on every Christmas for $46.00 a bottle, cases disappeared; much to the pleasure of my friends and family.........and every once and a while, a newbee screws their face and scowls at the " turpentine and burnt floor wax " I serve them. I smile, non judgmental, and think of Brussell Sprouts, Cigars and Blue Cheese. So, have a taste, and hopefully you'll get kicked in the nose and mouth and say.........that was the best Lay............. ga vul in ........... I ever had........... and one of the best Scotches ever.

19th January 2016"

3. Scooterz

Scooterz Practically Family

Tonight was a really nice pleasant evening. My Stetson Stratoliner in Sage was accompanied first by a CAO Brazillia cigar and a nice rye. James Pepper 1776 Straight Rye Whiskey. It was followed by the Boulevard Chocolate Ale while finishing the Brazillia.
    DSCF0507.jpg
    DSCF0519.jpg DSCF0523 (2).jpg

4. Rumad

Rumad One Too Many

Brazilia is a great stick. One of my favorite CAO’s. Smokin it up here boss!

5. I have limited experience with lowlands Scotch & Auchentoshan but the Three woods nomenclature made me curious to learn more. The description made me ready to give it a try sometime. Thanks Robert!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  6. Siete Leguas Tequila Blanco.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

7. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

8. Desert dog

Great combination all around!

9. Desert dog

Black bottle and black Campdraft. 20210329_192551.jpg

10. I like it a lot. It has that good blue agave aroma & flavor I like. The agave is grown in the Jalisco region & cooked in a stone oven. It's copper pot distilled. You get some black pepper in both the aroma & taste but the agave dominates. Also lots of earthy & vegetal going on but no fruit or citrus. And no nectors are added back into the distillation process. I don't think it has much glycerine for mouth feel either but it may have some. I've had a couple of bottles prior to this one, then for a while I couldn't find it locally. I'll keep buying it.

11. Desert dog

Thanks Jack, my next trip to the valley I will have to pick up a bottle.

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  12. Another of my favorites is Tequila Ocho Plata Single Estate. I've been trying to learn more about the agave regions & learn to distinguish them by their agave taste. The agave for Tequila Ocho is also grown in Jalisco & comes from a Single Estate in the region. Stone ovens, cooper Pot Still, natural spring water, & wood fermentation tanks. It has a strong agave taste with black pepper, but it also has a bit of citrus & a bit of mint in addition to the vegetal & earthy taste. It also has a bit of white pepper taste in it as well.

If you find you don't like a bold agave taste you might prefer a Reposado or maybe a blend.

Short Balding Guy and Desert dog like this.
  13. Tonight it's the No.1Q, G4, & the Long Riders.

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4406.jpg

14. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Hat, shrub & cognac 006.JPG
    Frank Sinatra is quoted as saying: “Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”
    As Lent comes to an end and with it, my Lenten abstinence of alcohol, meat and all things sweet, I shall do as the bible instructs.
    If it's good enough for Ol' Blue Eyes......................

Ross Young, Bushman, Blare and 6 others like this.
  15. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Home finally and I am relaxing with a Guinness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feeling stronger after just one Guinness, Eric -

16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You look like you are ready for that Eric.

Guinness.jpg

Scooterz, Ross Young, Bushman and 6 others like this.
  17. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

18. Snowman

Snowman One of the Regulars

19. The first Partisan Ranger campout in over a yr coming up tomorrow & Sat. Hope one of the guys brings some good Shine to share. I'll be taking a couple bottles of Blue Corn Whiskey grown & distilled here in MO. Also my Thoroughbred 10X, Minie ball pipe & Scottish Woods pipe tobacco. Good food, good whiskey, good conversation. Sat 4/03 will mark the 139 yr since the killing of Jesse James.

IMG_4264.JPG

20. Ross Young

Ross Young Practically Family

A gift from my Pops in law, pure OR in tobacco. Enjoyed with a Stone Enjoy By 4/20 - A Blazey Hazy IPA... The percentage (and innuendoes) are strong with this one.

2DEFB214-6C33-4C99-94B7-58A2EEB172CD.jpeg