Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Alive'n'Amplified, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Scooterz

Scooterz Practically Family

DSCF1251 (2).jpg
    Penny's Marathon and Balcones Texas Single Malt.

2. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Work escapades today. I am finally home and enjoying a glass of Quinta do Noval 40 Year Port. This is a tawny port that tastes not of wood, but fruit, toffee, nuts and some some acidity that makes the notes pop. It is a fav port of mine.

[​IMG]

Cheers on a warmer Minnesota March evening, Eric -

BobHufford, Blare, Rumad and 5 others like this.
  3. Snowman

Snowman One of the Regulars

I wore my Marathon today - same one but in a charcoal gray. Now I’ll have to decide what to pair it with.

Blare and Scooterz like this.
  4. SBCD with a couple shots of Stranahans Colorado Whiskey I found in a forgotten bottle.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

BobHufford, RBH, Blare and 7 others like this.
  5. Short Balding Guy

Yesterday I enjoyed home brewed Caribou Coffee's Brazil Plato Azul coffee and a new growler of Omni Brewing pilsner in the very mild 50'f temps.

[​IMG]

Cheers, Eric -

6. A great hazy color to the Pilsner. That would really light up in sunlight.

Short Balding Guy and Blare like this.
  7. Balcones Texas Pot Still Straight (Batch 19-1), 46% ABV scored an 85 points for 2020. They also distill a couple of Blue Corn Whiskies you might see on the shelf:

Balcones Texas Blue Corn Bourbon (Batch BCB17-1), 64.6% ABV scored 87 points.

Balcones True Blue Cask Strength Corn (Batch TB17-1), 68.3% ABV scored 86 points.

Scooterz, Bamaboots and Desert dog like this.
  8. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

Resistol Montana and Kilbeggan tonight. 20210323_180902.jpg

9. How would you rate it? I looked for the Kilbeggan 12 Single Pot Still for Saint Patrick's Day but couldn't find any.

Tonight I'm on Ardbeg Wee Beastie.

Blare and Desert dog like this.
  10. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

I would rate this quite high. It has 2.5% oats, which give it a creamy mouthfeel. To me, it has a nose of fruit and sugar cookies. Sweet start with slight spicy aftertaste. I went to buy some Greenspot, but they had sold out. I wasn't looking for Kilbeggan, but glad I tried this. I hope I can get some more.

11. They bottle a Rye also.

Desert dog likes this.
  12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Every year, my wife and I, give up alcohol during lent. Our God daughter thinks we are brave, "six weeks," she says, "aren't you brave?" Today she sent me a teasing text message. "Not long to go now," then added a photo of us at her wedding reception. I've put the bubbly in the fridge, but it's going to be a very long ten days:
    JeIaWed375.jpg

dh66, RBH, Just A Hat Rack and 5 others like this.
  13. Home for the night, so time to remove my Gannon & pour a few drams of Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

dh66, BobHufford, Ross Young and 6 others like this.
  14. Desert dog, RBH and Blare like this.
  15. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

whisky.png
    Well Jack as nobody has come forward I might as well let you know that next Sunday, Easter Sunday, the end of Lent, I shall be raising a wee dram to Speyside's finest.

Biltmore Straw 001.JPG
    I shall put on the Biltmore

Poole Goes Vintage 01.jpg
    And I am hoping to awaken Jessica from her winter hibernation

dh66, Just A Hat Rack, Blare and 5 others like this.
  16. Short Balding Guy

Apologies Jack. Work escapades yesterday found me home late and I never shared my Whiskey Day celebration. I was enjoying some Laphroig. I have come to enjoy the peaty taste. It was your recommendation to pick up the Quarter Cask and I have not looked back. Thanks. It is tasty without being overwhelming.

[​IMG]

Today is another opportunity for a Whiskey Day. I recall it was Minnesota Whiskey Day. ;)

I have started the grill for breakfast and am sipping a Guinness Stout while turning venision sausages and potatoes. I will gently smash the Dutch yellow baby potatoes as they finish and sprinkle with a garlic, salt, thyme and balsamic vinegar mixture.

[​IMG]

Cheers, Eric -

17. Not being familiar with Three Wood I looked up to see what they were. NAS but aged a minimum of 10 yrs in Bourbon casks, 1 yr in Oloroso Sherry casks, & finished 1 yr in Pedro Ximenez grape wine Sherry casks. Makes it a 12 yr minimum. Consistently scores an 85. Sounds interesting, Robert. Enjoy!

18. Interesting. MO doesn't have an official Whisk(e)y Day that I know of. There is a huge annual wine tasting day here & I always thought it interesting that it always corresponds with Mother's Day.

Desert dog likes this.
  19. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You are making my mouth water, Eric, although I would pass up on the Guinness, never could get a flavour for it.
    Now those potatoes: You need a finely chopped medium onion, a beaten egg, salt and pepper & vegetable oil, for frying.
    Coarsely grate the potatoes and into a clean tea towel and then squeeze out the excess liquid by twisting the towel.
    Add the onion and place the mix in a large bowl. Add the egg, a good couple of pinches of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix the ingredients well.
    Heat a slosh of oil in a heavy based frying pan and when the oil is hot (but not smoking), add spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the pan and flatten into patties about ½in thick. Flip over once browned and crispy, about 2–3 minutes each side. Serve hot at breakfast, they are called hash browns and are especially good with bacon and eggs.
    Your description sounds so matter of fact, a good way to introduce someone to Auchentoshan. The last time that I heard it described was the first time that I tasted it, and that was on The Orient Express. The waiter made such theatre out of his description, how could I refuse? It was pure nectar, so much so, that since then I nearly always find it in my stocking after Santa's visit.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  20. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

A bit breezy but warm enough for a little deck time after the maddening weather of the last few days.
    59686328-A9D3-40CB-91A2-0D94F0190AD8.jpeg