Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

With a heat index of over 100* it was time to break out the Stetson Hemp OR for Taco Tues; should have done it yesterday. HH was spent with a few Modelo Negra imports...

IMG_5054.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg

IMG_5055.jpg

...then home for a new bottle of Arette Artesenal Blanco Tequila, which consistently scores an 84 - 86.

IMG_5058.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
Looks like it is served chilled, on ice. What's the taste profile like?
I prefer it on the rocks, though it is often drunk with water and ice, soda water, or hot water. When drunk with water, they’ll often add an umeboshi (Japanese picked plum). The wheat version also serves as the base of innumerable sweet mixed drinks in all kinds of fruit flavours, though I believe it has been replaced by vodka in the cheaper canned versions.
The flavours of the spirit itself can also range from the almost tasteless wheat versions to ones that have a burnt wheat taste. The sweet potato ones have a more pungent aroma which many find disagreeable at first, but people, like myself, often come to enjoy. The raw sugar (brown sugar?) ones also have a fair range of tastes. My favourite ones have an almost whisky like taste on the palate, but without the strength on the nose, nor the bite at the back of the throat (25-30% ABV), nor the lingering aftertaste. This, I feel, makes it a better accompaniment for the yakitori.
I’ll save the whisky for when I get home - either on its own, or with dark chocolate.

I prefer it on the rocks, though it is often drunk with water and ice, soda water, or hot water. When drunk with water, they’ll often add an umeboshi (Japanese picked plum). The wheat version also serves as the base of innumerable sweet mixed drinks in all kinds of fruit flavours, though I believe it has been replaced by vodka in the cheaper canned versions.
The flavours of the spirit itself can also range from the almost tasteless wheat versions to ones that have a burnt wheat taste. The sweet potato ones have a more pungent aroma which many find disagreeable at first, but people, like myself, often come to enjoy. The raw sugar (brown sugar?) ones also have a fair range of tastes. My favourite ones have an almost whisky like taste on the palate, but without the strength on the nose, nor the bite at the back of the throat (25-30% ABV), nor the lingering aftertaste. This, I feel, makes it a better accompaniment for the yakitori.
I’ll save the whisky for when I get home - either on its own, or with dark chocolate.
Gary, thanks for the detailed reply & the chance to learn something new. I do want to start a journey thru Japanese Single Malt soon.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Most have tasting notes of citrus, fruit & flowers; not really up my alley. I sometimes wonder about the effort. I have only tried Single Malt from a couple of the American distilleries. I should probably concentrate on more of those.
The only one I’ve had is the Hibiki 17, and it was very special. But I think it goes for about $500 a bottle, so you would want it to be. I was very grateful that my teetotaller friend thought of me when he was given a bottle.
I confess I’ve not heard of American single malts.

The only one I’ve had is the Hibiki 17, and it was very special. But I think it goes for about $500 a bottle, so you would want it to be. I was very grateful that my teetotaller friend thought of me when he was given a bottle.
I confess I’ve not heard of American single malts.
Nikka has the best selections fitting my taste profile.

A lot of American Single Malts are just white dog Bourbons.

A new Whiskey & cigar club has opened here, with a public side & a private membership & patio side.

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_3485.jpg

Starting a journey into American Single Malts with a couple bottles on order I will pick up later today. Balcones Texas Single Malt & Stranahan's Blue Peak Single Malt.

IMG_0682.PNG

IMG_0683.JPG

Some of the Texas distilleries producing Single Malt Whisky are drying the barley grain in mesquite wood smoke. Really looking forward to that.

The Shoe

One Too Many
NBD! This Balcones Texas Single Malt has earned a spot on my bar. Even though the mouthfeel is normal, not thick, & it doesn't curtain the glass, it is rich tasting. The taste up front is predominantly an overripe pears & apples Southern fried fruit pastries taste from growing up. Some toasted toffee & oats taste, barley malt, & Oak wood from aging a min of 24 months. Non chill filtered & no color added. I get more toasted Oak wood, mild/different smoke than Peat, & cloves in the aftertaste. Maybe cinnamon; @ 106 proof I get a warming sensation but not a burning. I'm impressed; this stands out.

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff