Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and wives

shamus

Suspended
Just a short story about a boy, his fedora and his wife....

In the past months I've come to daily wearing an old Dobbs I picked up at a thrift store. It's nice, but not my "best" hat, so I'm turning it into my daily hat...

Well last weekend we stop by the california pizza kitchen (great salads) and finally get a booth. My son sits beside me, and my wife across from me. Since she has more, I hand her my sons jacket, my half-belt of which she stacks up beside her. I then hand her the Dobbs of which she places on top and begins to pack it down over the coats like she's making room in a suitcase. I let out a muffled yelp which stops her.

She then asks, "What?" I then explained it's best not to squoosh a fedora, but instead just place it on top.

After dinner as we were leaving, the waiter, a young man who just moved out to LA, complimented me on my hat.

And for the ladies, I apologize for the title of this thread, but I'm sure this thread will travel down that path soon enough...

photobyalan

A-List Customer
My wife was a little hesitant to embrace the hat "thing" when I started wearing one about a year ago. When I started buying vintage hats, she sort of shrugged it off. In the past few months, I have been dressing much better every day simply because if I'm wearing a nice hat, I want the clothes to be nice, too. She's very happy with the end result, likes the hats a lot, and didn't even freak out when I showed her Art's "Eddie G", and told her I was planning to buy one, and the price. Of course, I executed a pre-emptive strike by putting one of my vintage cameras up for sale on the day I told her about the hat. I was going to sell the camera, anyway, but I was waiting for just such an occasion. Gotta know how to work the system. :cool:

OK, OK, before the ladies get up in arms...the skids had already been greased a couple weeks ago when I asked her to help me pick out her anniversary gift for this year at Blue Nile[angel] THAT'S how the system really works.:cry:

LadyPowers

Familiar Face
Your wife might have had other things on her mind. Being a wife of JP, I would never have thought of smashing any of JP's hats. I understand how much the fedoras cost. The cost and wait of getting the hat back after it has been cleaned and reblocked.

Regards,

Lady Powers

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Oh I'd just love it if my fiance had a hat. Or any clothes he didn't squoosh! I can't get him to hang pants straight and upside down and the ex-wardrobe crew head in me just hates to see them flipped over the hanger like that. Then again, it isn't just him. My mother hung one of my vintage dresses by its spaghetti straps and the poor fabric is just not happy about that. Le sigh.

Husbands are often with wigs the way some wives seem to be with hats. Mine is like "Why do they all have to have their own heads? We don't have shelf space for 40 styrofoam heads. Can't they go in a drawer somewhere?"

BV

shamus

Suspended
It's not like she crushed it, she was.. about to crush it... She did have other things on her mind.

As to price... I only buy vintage so I've never spent over 30 bucks on a fedora. So that factor never was an issue to her.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
My wife thinks the fedora looks fine in the rain and snow but not with suits. She isnt much of an exhibitionist, unlike me! I dont mind being the centre of attention, I dont crave it or even look for it but I do like to look a bit different and I think as I see society become more and more disrespectful Im more rebellious to the opposite. I like the fact that Im nearly 40 and becoming more of a gent. I hope one day my wife will say to someone, "I like him in a hat, it looks stylish" but I guess I will have to settle for acceptance. Anway, I love her to bits.

The thing she does that makes me laugh is she calls my hats "my pets" and makes a purring noise if I brush one of them etc. She asked if she could take one out for a walk too. :)

Havana

One of the Regulars
There's an old saying that men marry women expecting that they'll never change and they do & women marry men expecting them to change and they never do. I think there's a great deal of truth in that so I actually made it clear to my wife before marriage that she needs to take a good look at what she's marrying - the hats, boots, leather jacket, moustache, ect. because those are not going to change. She seemed to accept it all and amazingly never gives me any hassle (about those things). In that respect, I feel very lucky.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Zemke Fan said:
I have a wife with a SERIOUS Stuart Weitzman addiction. So, I know all about this 90-10 closet split!

BTW, BV, when you gonna finish building out your Web site??

That's fair. ^_^ My fiance is getting more into shoes, though. It's good, because when I met him he had one pair of running shoes he'd gotten from a friend when that friend bought a new pair. They were two sizes too big. Now he's got a pair of black shoes, a pair of brown shoes, and a pair of running shoes. I call him "Imelda."

Heh. Probably when I get my flash-designing friend to come over and kill the song he put in my intro. It's making me *crazy*. The first time I thought it was adorable. Now I can't update my own site because the Bosco song will get me.

BV - I'm told I was singing it in my sleep last night. I love Bosco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80