Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in restaurants

Who?

Practically Family
If just my wife and I, there is usually room on a booth seat or at a table an extra chair, so I may place it there. If the booth or table is full, it stays on. Here with my nearly bald head, I want sun protection in the summer and warmth in the winter so it will NOT stay in the car. If no safe place to put it while dining, it simply stays on my portable hat rack, ie my head.
I have become even more freaky about the sun since a very good friend, whom I have known for more than fifty years, developed melanoma a few years ago.

He is a walking miracle of modern medicine.

I wear hats with 4" brims, every time I go outside, summer and winter.

Last edited:

Who?

Practically Family
I don’t know his stage, but he has significant mets, and is currently stable.

Another long-term friend didn’t survive his.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
For me, if I'm in a sit-down restaurant, the hat only comes off at the table. If I have room at a booth, I'll place it next to me, or if I'm at a table, I'll put it on the back of my chair or on an empty nearby seat.

That’s for the most part the way I do it.

At a nice restaurant or at church I take it off when I’m seated, and put it back on when I stand to leave. I put it in the safest-looking spot while I’m there. I won’t risk it falling in the floor from a chair back if the back doesn’t look like it will hold it securely. I’ll wear it before I’ll risk it. The places I frequent don’t offer a hat or coat check, and I wouldn’t use it if they did. Who knows what they get exposed to piled together with others’ garments?

At bar&grills, pubs, breweries, coffee shops, etc., I just wear it. There’s nothing my hat can do to insult anyone or be rude. It’s just a hat for cryin’ out loud. If anyone feels insulted by my hat then that’s truly unfortunate but it’s because of their own hangups. I frequently get compliments from servers and other patrons alike.

The one person who’s opinion I care about usually agrees with my decision, and sometimes even says, “just wear it - I don’t care.” She did that just recently at a large wedding reception where there really was nowhere safe to put it but on my head.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
When I watch vintage films from the 30s-60s, I notice the hats the men wear and when they take them off. Men usually kept them on at bars and pubs and greasy food joints, bank and hotel lobbies, etc., but take them off at nicer restaurants while eating, inside homes, etc. In other words the whole no hats indoors was never the culture. It was more was the place considered public or private. But these days, most of those rules seem to be out the window as cultures change over time

When I watch vintage films from the 30s-60s, I notice the hats the men wear and when they take them off. Men usually kept them on at bars and pubs and greasy food joints, bank and hotel lobbies, etc., but take them off at nicer restaurants while eating, inside homes, etc. In other words the whole no hats indoors was never the culture. It was more was the place considered public or private. But these days, most of those rules seem to be out the window as cultures change over time

Sometimes hat etiquette and the rules of the military get conflated. There are military traditions that require the removing of your cover whenever you break the plane going indoors. You’re quite right that in civilian life hats were worn indoors in many common / public places or places where there wasn’t a safe place to store your hat.

Next week I am taking my wife to a nice restaurant downtown for a celebration. I plan to wear a hat.....likely a Panama. We shall see what/how it presents itself and I will report back. This will be a step up from our local tavern and Wing Wednesdays!!!!

Who?

Practically Family
Sometimes hat etiquette and the rules of the military get conflated. There are military traditions that require the removing of your cover whenever you break the plane going indoors. You’re quite right that in civilian life hats were worn indoors in many common / public places or places where there wasn’t a safe place to store your hat.
You talk like a Jarhead.

No offense.

I'm convinced those people responsible were simply keeping it as simple as possible for the troops to remember. "If you're indoors, no hat. If you're outdoors, hat." Of course, it doesn't solve the question of what those troops were/are supposed to do with their covers when not wearing them, but...well, it IS the military.

Next week I am taking my wife to a nice restaurant downtown for a celebration. I plan to wear a hat.....likely a Panama. We shall see what/how it presents itself and I will report back. This will be a step up from our local tavern and Wing Wednesdays!!!!
You realize you're now required to provide photographic evidence that you and your wife actually attended this "celebration" after it has taken place, right? ;)

I'm convinced those people responsible were simply keeping it as simple as possible for the troops to remember. "If you're indoors, no hat. If you're outdoors, hat." Of course, it doesn't solve the question of what those troops were/are supposed to do with their covers when not wearing them, but...well, it IS the military.

You realize you're now required to provide photographic evidence that you and your wife actually attended this "celebration" after it has taken place, right? ;)
I can actually do that! It is really just an excuse to take my wife out on a date night except it is during the day.

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
To me, jarhead has always sounded rude, if not pejorative. I wouldn‘t use that term in speaking with a marine I think.

But Jughead, on the other hand, is a wonderful appellation, where applicable, in the general US population.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot