Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hats in the heat : with or without liner ?

Huertecilla

Banned
"And I suppose that very few of those writing about ´hot´have experience with hót."

And I suppose when you don't know anything about someone and assume they know nothing about "hot" it says more about you than it does them.

Congratulations Sir!!!!!!!! We have succeeded in making a 100% ballony sandwich; my supposition sandwiched by two of you :eusa_clap

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Then why not buy unlined hats??? Those more often than not are of lighther felt too so that would be win-win.

?!??!!! But weren't you the one, who just promoted heavy felt and liner for hot weather? Well, equally happy for two opposing arguments is also a kind of "win-win", I guess [huh]

Huertecilla

Banned
?!??!!! But weren't you the one, who just promoted heavy felt and liner for hot weather? Well, equally happy for two opposing arguments is also a kind of "win-win", I guess [huh]

The ´argument´ is insulation.
The thick one for keeping the head insulated from either cold of heat, the thin one allowing some radiation from the head.
That asks for a thicker one with liner and a thinner one without.

My question was why buy a thicker one with liner and then take/leave it out?! That results in a neither nor hat.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The ´argument´ is insulation.
The thick one for keeping the head insulated from either cold of heat, the thin one allowing some radiation from the head.
That asks for a thicker one with liner and a thinner one without.

My question was why buy a thicker one with liner and then take/leave it out?! That results in a neither nor hat.

I agree to disagree

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The way I see it is that those blokes who dug that big ditch in Panama did the research on hats for hot weather and I'm happy to take of advantage of what they discovered.

No question that if you have to work outdoors and it is super hot, a loose weave straw hat with a decent size brim is the way to go.

Sure you can wear a felt hat (thick or thin, liner or no liner) but not be comfortable?

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
So what is the purpose of a satin hat liner?

I've always thought that satin liners were made for the protection of the hair itself as well as to prevent the natural hair oils from reaching the actual hat. I sleep with a silk scarf on my head to protect it from split ends that I would surely get from sleeping on a cotton pillowcase. Your hair rubbing up against the hat would result in ugly ends that would ruin your haircut. Let's remember that back in the day when these hats were in their heyday that men put more thought into grooming themselves and this included hair that was neatly coiffed. I had learned some time ago that men used pomades to keep the hairs in place, of course you wouldn't want the pomade getting on your hat so the silk lining to the rescue.

I use extra virgin coconut oil in my hair and sometimes extra virgin olive oil, so silk linings are a must.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
No question that if you have to work outdoors and it is super hot, a loose weave straw hat with a decent size brim is the way to go.

Sure you can wear a felt hat (thick or thin, liner or no liner) but not be comfortable?

I was under the assumption that felt hats were only for the fall and winter months. I had no idea that people wore them in the summer. I thought it was straw only. In the summer months I wear hats when I am going out at night. It is mostly velvet toppers though. I need to pay more attention to men in hats in the summer, lol.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Best hat ever to beat the heat!

Umbrella_Hat.jpg

Let's go feeshin'!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I rarely wear velvet toppers on summer nights - and I never use olives in my hair. Good friends tell me, that I more than once have been seen with most of a Martini in my hair, though lol

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I rarely wear velvet toppers on summer nights - and I never use olives in my hair. Good friends tell me, that I more than once have been seen with most of a Martini in my hair, though lol

:D:D:D

It's a good thing that you don't wear velvet toppers...can't have you getting ALL of the attention if you and I should happen to meet up!:cool:

ingineer

One Too Many
I've always thought that satin liners were made for the protection of the hair itself as well as to prevent the natural hair oils from reaching the actual hat. I sleep with a silk scarf on my head to protect it from split ends that I would surely get from sleeping on a cotton pillowcase. Your hair rubbing up against the hat would result in ugly ends that would ruin your haircut. Let's remember that back in the day when these hats were in their heyday that men put more thought into grooming themselves and this included hair that was neatly coiffed. I had learned some time ago that men used pomades to keep the hairs in place, of course you wouldn't want the pomade getting on your hat so the silk lining to the rescue.

I use extra virgin coconut oil in my hair and sometimes extra virgin olive oil, so silk linings are a must.
A very valid point.
My Father and Granddad would always use Brylcreem.
Was always told Easter is the time to switch.
Richard

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
A very valid point.
My Father and Granddad would always use Brylcreem.
Was always told Easter is the time to switch.
Richard

I had to look up Brylcreem...never heard of it. My mom used to use heavy greases on my hair when I was a child...we didn't know any better and the hair care industry has come a long way and women are more educated now. All I need is a nourishing unrefined oil like coconut, olive, sweet almond or even emu oil and my curls are nice and bouncy. I use the oils on my skin too but with a lighter hand in the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats