Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats news feeds

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I really like hanging in the Fedora Lounge. I learn new things everyday.
Yet, I find it a bit sad that there is no news section. How do I know that a specific brand has come with a new hat or revised a collection ? How do I know that a certain hatter is becoming famous or signed a contract with such brand etc... ?

So I was wondering if some of you follow those kind of news. If so, so you have specific places that you would recommend ?

(of course, that is, if you are able to point to other hat-related websites on The Fedora Lounge)

Thanks you

I do not know the answer to your question. However, I want to support it being asked. It's a good point. There is a lot of discussion of hat history, and here and there are rosters of Dealers and Custom Hatters, but a discussion of current events would be welcome to me.

Great idea, Guillaume!

Open to the vendors too? I can envision duplicate content being posted in their specific thread(s) as well, but a great way to spread the news.

Who's first?!?!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is a good idea, but I think that by glancing over the various threads on a fairly regular basis you'll get most of the latest developments. If any of the custom hatters are coming up with new (or old) concepts, materials, or styles, I can't think of a better place to look.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Well you can't go through each thread all day long just tto find a piece of news!!!
On few other forums, there is a dedicated board for news items where users simply copy excerpt of a new article with a link point to it

This could also be a place for special offers, for instance if a hat store has some great promotions for a limited amount of time...

^^^ Exactly. Yes, you can glean alot of information from sifting through the threads and posts, but a dedicated thread where we could post news articles, press releases, tell people about things we've learned, etc. would be great.

Well alrighty, then! Although unauthorized by Bob Jessee, (but thinking positively on his behalf) THIS might be a good place to start. The Black Sheep Hat Works "What's New" page. Don't miss Bob's new "Halo" brim binding, which is unlike any I have seen yet!

Next up?!?

Wesslyn

Practically Family
He can't spell "Archives". I just don't understand this whole "distressed" thing. I guess you must look cooler?
I know a mechanic who does great work; can't spell to save his life though. I guess spelling isnt really THAT relevant to hat making, unless he's misspelling things on his liners and sweatbands. Nonetheless, he should probably hire a Web designer or a copy writer to take care of those things and make it look a little more professional.

The distressed look is popular in the guitar community as well. I also don't understand it. I've got a Strat that has been through hell and back with me, and every ding, scratch, or chunk missing has its own story to tell.
Why fake that?
But I REALLY don't understand hats being distressed on purpose. Same with jeans. Isn't keeping your clothes and accessories as pristine, albeit broken in, as long as possible?

I guess we're just getting old here...

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
Agreed on the distressing. Stains, rips and smudges are earned.

I like this one. Would like it more with a taller crown...

IMG_5723.jpg

...The distressed look is popular in the guitar community as well. I also don't understand it. I've got a Strat that has been through hell and back with me, and every ding, scratch, or chunk missing has its own story to tell.
Why fake that?
But I REALLY don't understand hats being distressed on purpose. Same with jeans. Isn't keeping your clothes and accessories as pristine, albeit broken in, as long as possible?...
I agree 100%. I like the look of a well-used "beater" hat, but it has to have earned it's scars honestly. Based on the hats in his "archieves" it appears Mr. Zito only distresses his hats by request, but I can't imagine why anyone would want their hat to look like someone attacked it with a blowtorch. Oh well, whatever floats their boats.

We're spoiled for choice when it comes to great Hatters. It's hard to break into that market since the customers are usually well-informed and know their options. It's also a gamble that your investment of tens of thousands of dollars will pay off. Still, the cream will rise and there is always room at the top. I wish them well.

I'll add my vote for no artificial distressing. Personally, even if a hat came by it honestly, I would not wear anything as heavily distressed/damaged as some of the hats he has listed. To my eye those look ready for the bin...past ready.

...I'll add my vote for no artificial distressing. Personally, even if a hat came by it honestly, I would not wear anything as heavily distressed/damaged as some of the hats he has listed. To my eye those look ready for the bin...past ready.
As long as it was comfortable, the sweatband was still viable, and it wasn't completely filthy, I'd wear it, but that's just me. ;)

I know a mechanic who does great work; can't spell to save his life though. I guess spelling isnt really THAT relevant to hat making, unless he's misspelling things on his liners and sweatbands. Nonetheless, he should probably hire a Web designer or a copy writer to take care of those things and make it look a little more professional.

The distressed look is popular in the guitar community as well. I also don't understand it. I've got a Strat that has been through hell and back with me, and every ding, scratch, or chunk missing has its own story to tell.
Why fake that?
But I REALLY don't understand hats being distressed on purpose. Same with jeans. Isn't keeping your clothes and accessories as pristine, albeit broken in, as long as possible?

I guess we're just getting old here...
I know, but working in the "archieves" at OSU, it was the first thing that caught my eye.

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
Never seen these before, like others I am definitely not a fan of the distressing. To be honest, I'm also not really a fan of many of the details and finishings at all - too many of these look like they are screaming for attention.

Having said that, if the actual (non-distressed) hats are of good quality and craftsmanship, then I also wish them the best. In a world that I wish accepted hats and hat-wearing more, hatters producing pieces like these is part of that growth.

To be honest, I'm also not really a fan of many of the details and finishings at all - too many of these look like they are screaming for attention.

Makes me think of Art's slogan at VS, "The Quiet Elegance of Bespoke." I agree that there isn't anything particularly quiet or elegant with these hats. Still, if they were giving them away... at least one of the non-distressed models... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy