Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats Off To Art Fawcett

rayk

Familiar Face
Just received a vintage Borsalino that I bought on Ebay, then sent to Art to be refurbished. Wow!! I can't begin to express my delight. Art did a simply terrific job: the hat has been completely transformed and is ready for another 50 years of service. Thanks, Art.

IMAG0014.JPG
[/IMG]

IMAG0015.JPG
[/IMG]

IMAG0016.JPG
[/IMG]

IMAG0021.JPG
[/IMG]

rayk

Familiar Face
Thanks, guys. I'm developing a dependency on Art. Each time I now look at a hat that I might consider buying, I immediately begin to wonder what magic Art could work with it. I just love the high quality hats that I've been fortunate enough to have acquired from Panama Bob and others. Having a true professional such as Art, who adheres to the highest traditional standards, just makes the enjoyment of hats so much finer.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well, I might as well jump in here. Art is going to be working on my Panama soon and I'm very excited about it. However, the point I was going to make was not about his abilities with hats. I've met Art at his store a couple of times now and he is a real joy to be around. He knows his stuff (especially compared to me!) but doesn't talk to you like a no it all, or like you should know what he is talking about. If he sees you aren't following, he will back up and re-explain his point. I guess I'm saying he is a real gentleman, who is a pleasure to be around.

Plus he knows his hat stuff too !:cool2:

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Art Fawcett
Don't look now, but I think I just gained a full hat size. ))
Keep talking & I'll be up to Big Dave!! Thanks Guys

Hey! You thought I'd miss that, didn't you? :mad:

"Honey, they're making fun of my head again!"

;)

David

havershaw

Practically Family
I bid heavily on that hat. (Not heavily enough, unfortunately...)

Glad it went to a great home. That's a real treasure you've got there. Congratulations! And great work as always, Art.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
I agree with RAYK I think Canadave is a comic in real life. Who knows he may be a Big Star and is just hiding out here.LOL :) LOL :) LOL

Thanks a lot guys, that means a lot. Making people laugh (or at least trying to be funny) is a major ambition of mine. As a kid, I actually wanted to be a comedian when I grew up.

Shecky

Dear Shecky, errr I mean David, it is good that you have a sense of humor. Guys with large hat sizes such as us have to take a lot of ribbing.
Case in point, last night I wore my Whippet out and my friend Paul was wearing it more than I was! That's what happens when you are a gentleman and do not wear a hat inside I suppose. To make matters worse, he hands it back and says I have a big head! It looked fine on his fat head but now mine is big?! Oh boy. LOL
If you can take the ribbing you're a good egg(head). ;)

Regards to all,

J

Zane

Suspended
Well I just looked in on this post and I can flat out tell you that I thought the only think that Borsalino ever done good was the creasing of the hat and now I am thinking that Art does it better than them. I would like to ask or say something but before I do I want to ask it not be taken wrongly . Now y'all saw and touched the hat and I just see the picture and please never let it be said that I think Borsalino makes any ugly hats I think they make beautiful to look at hats.

That said, and no offence to any one what so ever, that felt looks well just like the newest Borsalino's I have seen. It looks from lack of a better word "fluffy". That also is not a criticism of the hat if you like a lighter weight hat it may be a plus for you.

Can you guys that are seeing or touching that hat verify it for me? I am not calling fluffy felt bad felt at all when it is owned by another man and I sure ain't saying nothing bad about that very beautiful hat and it is the PERFECT COLOR for me but when I look at the picture I see the same dang felt they are using still. Please correct me or confirm this if you will. What ever you do Please do not take my praise of this beautiful hat as anything less, I just am extra curious about that felt.

rayk

Familiar Face
Actually, Art has dated the hat circa 1940's, and the post-cleaning transformation was quite remarkable. The felt is extraordinarily soft to the hand and not at all stiff. It is a really nice hat. You will note that the liner lists the hat as from Bullock's of Bullock & Jones in LA. Bullock, so I have it on good authority, has been associated with Jones for many years, possibly the 1940's or 1950's. It must, therefore, be assumed that the hat is at least that old.

Zane

Suspended
Rayk, I sure probably came off all wrong there and it was not my intention and I should have just said the truth that I can see. That is simply one beautiful hat. I do not know if it is 1 or 50 years old but it is simply beautiful. that Art is a magician and a hat artist . I would like to add, the hat looks exceptionally well on you and you really wear a hat well. Some folks are just blessed with good features and I am not one of them.

Originally posted by Zane
Rayk, I sure probably came off all wrong there and it was not my intention and I should have just said the truth that I can see. That is simply one beautiful hat. I do not know if it is 1 or 50 years old but it is simply beautiful. that Art is a magician and a hat artist . I would like to add, the hat looks exceptionally well on you and you really wear a hat well. Some folks are just blessed with good features and I am not one of them.

Now we are all in agreement. Art is a magician.
All this talk about that great hat makes it so I can barely wait to get my Borsalino. I know Art will have it looking like a work of ART. Did I write that? LOL
Zane, I can tell you that the Borsalinos that I have come in contact with are truly works of art from the factory. I may not always like the blocking they choose but the felt is baby soft and smooth to the touch, not fuzzy like a rabbit. ;) I can't say much about the new ones because I only have seen the older ones (1940s-1950s) though. For $800 and up, they should feel just the same! :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran