Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on TV

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I am surprised no one has mentioned Stacy Keach as Mike Hammer. That was certainly one that struck me when I was younger.

Also: Yogi Bear.

I am very glad that ManofKent spoke up for the fourth Doctor's fedoras, which are much more iconic than the current Doctor's fez (although I do agree that fezzes--and bow ties--are cool). The fifth Doctor also wore a fine panama hat with his cricketeer's jacket and celery stick.

And Hoss Cartwright's huge white cowboy hat was another fascination of my youth. That hat really had charisma.

mingoslim

Practically Family
My TV Hat Favorite still has to be George Reeves as Clark Kent . . .

greeves.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Some of his costumes have had a custom and/or bespoke feel to them--which would, of course, fit the character. It's fun to see!

James Spader wears some cool hats on NBCs Blacklist...I wonder where is the hat store that was on tonights episode [10.07.201]
I didn't see the episode, but it may not have actually been a hat shop. It's common practice for television and movie productions to find a location that suits their needs, then alter it's appearance (sometimes drastically) so that it represents the business/house/whatever in the story.

Years ago I watched a crew spend the better part of a day converting a local laundry into a diner by attaching false walls (known as a "facade") and false signage to the building. Quite by accident, a few months later I watched the show they had done this for--all of that work was done for a three-second *establishing shot for a situation comedy on ABC. It seems to me they could just as easily have found an actual diner and simply changed the signage, but I don't work in the industry so I'm completely unfamiliar with their reasoning for doing this.

*Establishing shot: Establishes the context for a scene by showing the relationship between its important figures and objects. It is generally a long- or extreme-long shot at the beginning of a scene indicating where, and sometimes when, the remainder of the scene takes place. In this instance, it was used to inform the audience that the characters in the following scene were at the diner.

RBH

Bartender
I didn't see the episode, but it may not have actually been a hat shop. It's common practice for television and movie productions to find a location that suits their needs, then alter it's appearance (sometimes drastically) so that it represents the business/house/whatever in the story.

Years ago I watched a crew spend the better part of a day converting a local laundry into a diner by attaching false walls (known as a "facade") and false signage to the building. Quite by accident, a few months later I watched the show they had done this for--all of that work was done for a three-second *establishing shot for a situation comedy on ABC. It seems to me they could just as easily have found an actual diner and simply changed the signage, but I don't work in the industry so I'm completely unfamiliar with their reasoning for doing this.

*Establishing shot: Establishes the context for a scene by showing the relationship between its important figures and objects. It is generally a long- or extreme-long shot at the beginning of a scene indicating where, and sometimes when, the remainder of the scene takes place. In this instance, it was used to inform the audience that the characters in the following scene were at the diner.

Here are a couple of screenshots from last nights Blacklist.
They spent a little time in the shop and Red ended up tell Rodrick [the man behind the counter] he wanted two hats.

29b4.jpg

v2j8.jpg

I believe its JJ hat Center in Washington.

Whereabouts in Washington, Rusty? I couldn't find much beyond an 800 number for that store.

I also saw that scene last night, and of course, they got my attention. Best part of the sequence was the ending line to Roderick... "I'll take BOTH!"

Again, my wife was complacent at most, but at least saw the affliction in effect on a character she favors, taking the focus OFF me for a moment. A GREAT moment in television!

I believe its JJ hat Center in Washington.
J.J. Hat Center appears to be a strong possibility, but The Blacklist is filmed in New York, not Washington D.C. (except for the aforementioned establishing shots). Even the opening scenes in the most recent episode "Wujing" were shot with New York standing in for Shanghai; to the average viewer, one city looks pretty much like any other. Location scouts find a street in New York that looks like it could be in Asia, change a few signs if necessary, add some computer generated buildings in the background, and Bob's your uncle. I hope I'm not ruining the "magic of Hollywood" for anyone, but Hollywood is all about illusion.

By the way, I watched the first three episodes on Hulu. :D

Last edited:
Hat retail shop in "The Blacklist"

A friend asked me if I knew the location of the hat retail shop shown in the most recent episode of a TV show called "The Blacklist."

So I found the show on the on-demand menu and was pleased that the hat shop scene occurred only seven minutes into the show. (From what little of it I saw, it appears to be another of those highly implausible, tremendously violent stories we just can't get enough of.)

The shop itself seemed quite nice. And I believe it is indeed a hat shop, and not a set. But I haven't a clue where it might be.

Anyone here know where it is?

EDIT: So I see. Thanks for the move.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana