Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever broken dress code at work?

Tin Pan Sally

We even have a dress code for casual Fridays; no shorts, no hats, no flip flops, no sweat pants. Jeans are OK, but only if they are new, not if they are frayed, or acid washed. Tennis shoes are acceptable on casual day only if they are brand new. That's the only day that anything denim or khaki is allowed.
I think the pajama bottom thing is just a way for the next generation to rebel.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I joined the workforce we wore dress pants, Dress shoes, dress shirts and ties every day except Friday. That was Western Friday so you got to wear a collared shirt, jeans and cowboy boots. I found it a lot easier. I wear cotton slacks collared shirts and, if it gets cold, a sports jacket I keep in my office/cubicle. I am overdressed anywhere I work. I don't like casual dress codes. It means if the HR person likes you, you can wear what you like. If not, they can ride your ars. Its a system for accepted workers discrimination. That's my opinion.
Johnny

jake431

Practically Family
No dress code where I work (as an analyst in search marketing). I still dress different than most everyone here. They wear baggy, shapeless jeans with puffy gym shoes. I wear a more rock n roll look, or a mixture of ww2 stuff (khakis, jackets etc) and chucks or vans or what have you. I don't do business casual well. I'm either business, or... casual.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Funny ... when my DAD joined the workforce (General Electric, 1963), the dress code for executives was:

-- black, dark blue, or dark grey suit
-- solid white or (at most) blue
-- black, dark blue, dark grey, or dark burgundy tie (preferably with NO stripes or patterns)
-- black socks
-- black shoes

One day, dad arrived at work wearing a light pink shirt. He was sent home to change into a white one!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
wow, not too many options then for work attire for your dad! Maybe for guys it's different, but, I can't stand wearing really dark colors all the time..I need some color !

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I'm a teacher and at my school even the principal wears shorts.

I am one of the two rebels who dress up every day. I look too young to wear casual clothes...the kids wouldn't take me seriously. Besides, when I look professional, I act the part. Maybe the administration should give it a try!

Benny Holiday

I set the dress code, and my band members break it

It's a Swing/jump blues combo; I don't ask that the musicians all go out and buy vintage suits and ties, but I expect that they turn up to performances in a clean suit and shirt and preferrably a tie. Most of the guys I've hired over the last five years have been okay, but there have been some terrible exceptions (such as the trumpeter who performed with a huge clunky cellphone attached to his belt, and a saxophonist who once wore a pair of old runners and faded cord pants on stage - with a shirt and tie!).

So I've had to have a few words with musicians from time to time. I hate having to do it, especially as they should know better - suit and tie are expected outfits for jazz musicians in Sydney. It particularly looks stupid when four of the guys in the band are dressed in sharp vintage or vintage-cut suits and the other two look like they just wandered in from a stroll along the beach! It ruins the look of the band and the connection with the style and sophistication of the era/atmosphere we're trying to invoke.

Tin Pan Sally

mysterygal said:
so...it's semi casual friday then
Yup :) That's fine with me.
I have no problem doing casual day, I just do it my own way. Today I'm in a 40s style denim-look dress with peep-toe sling-back heels.
Sometimes I do grocery shopping in high waisted shorts with keds/jantzens, or pedal-pushers/capris with ballet flats, or canvas high tops w/jeans. I don't wear jeans much though, they are too stiff and restrictive.

My Mom always looks spiffy. She is from the era when everyone dressed up to run errands, to the airport, etc. It was important to look good where one would be seen by many people, because, for some women, those were the only times they left the house. Chicks would go to the salon for a shampoo/set and try make it last a week.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Skinnychick..so is that you in your avatar? cause if it is...you do look young! by the way, what grade do you teach?
Benny Holiday, it suprises me that swing band members would have sloppy dress attire, I always figured in that circle , you've got a classier group of people!
TinPanSally, you know, I"m kind of the same way as your mom...being a stay at home mom, when I do get out, I like to get all spiffy myself, or, if I've been at home around the house for too long, I'll just make some kind of excuse to get out!

Benny Holiday

mysterygal said:
Benny Holiday, it suprises me that swing band members would have sloppy dress attire, I always figured in that circle , you've got a classier group of people!

Unfortunately Mysterygal, that's not always the case. Amongst the older jazz veterans it's just common practice to dress well, and they mostly play in Swing outfits as a rule. But the younger guys also play various shades of bop and funk in a variety of bands, and don't really make a connection between a look, or aesthetic principle, and music. They'll dress sloppy if they can get away with it!

That said, there are some extremely talented twenty-something players graduating from the Sydney Conservatorium jazz course each year. It's just a matter of teaching them to present themselves so they look as sharp as they sound.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars

Yup, that's me...I'm not nearly as young as I look...I'm 27.

I teach sixth grade and every so often a guest will walk into the room and pause for a minute searching for the teacher. That's not so bad, but it's infuriating when I'm asked for my hall pass.

When was the last time you saw a 12 year old in seamed stockings, heels, and suit?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
skinnychik said:
Yup, that's me...I'm not nearly as young as I look...I'm 27.

I teach sixth grade and every so often a guest will walk into the room and pause for a minute searching for the teacher. That's not so bad, but it's infuriating when I'm asked for my hall pass.

When was the last time you saw a 12 year old in seamed stockings, heels, and suit?
6th grade...not quite to the point or age where the kids develop the 'attitude problems' right? 27 still pretty young...sounds like we have the same problem though...I have gotten mistakes for being around 18..I'm constantly being carded whenever I order an alcoholic beverage...no matter how I'm dressed. In a way it's very flattering, but on the other hand, it does get kind of old!

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
he he.

yep, same predicament! My boyfriend is 18 years my senior though...people think he's my dad. It doesn't help when he's using hepcat slang and refers to himself as such.

Dressing up helps a lot though...I've never gotten carded while wearing retro hairstyles...that or the Cruise Room in Denver doesn't card.

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
I am a Minister in the Uniting Church in Australia(Presbyterian and Methodist combined). I mostly wear a leather jacket black jeans and a T-shirt guess that means that I break the dress code most of the time. On the rare times I wear a dog collar(Clerical collar) most of my friends don't know how to cope at times they become speachless.

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Out of Uniform...

I have to wear a Uniform at work.
For my first Union Meeting I went wearing a Polo & Khakis and was over dressed.
The next Day we all went to a Labor/Management meeting.
Most of the Labor was wearing...you guessed it: Polos & Khakis but Management was all Shirt & Tie, some with Suit Coats and the Ladies in skirts for the most part.
Boy, did I feel under dressed.
Won't make that mistake again.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
johnnycanuck said:
When I joined the workforce we wore dress pants, Dress shoes, dress shirts and ties every day except Friday. That was Western Friday so you got to wear a collared shirt, jeans and cowboy boots. Johnny

I'm gonna take a wild guess: Calgary?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany