Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headwinds 37J1

Deacon211

One Too Many
Just a few quick shots of my new Headwinds 37J1 jacket.

Overall, a nice effort on a not very common jacket. Time from order to arrival was about a month. Jay is making these as he goes along I believe so mine was made for me in particular (i.e. it didn't come out of stock).

Leather: I went with the goatskin as I figured it'd be more durable. Capeskin was also available. The goat is supple and thin, replicating capeskin well I would think. I'm no expert on capeskin though. The weight is substantially lighter than any G-1 or A-2 I've ever seen just for reference sake.

Collar and cuffs: I guess Jay originally had poly and wool knits available but switched to all wool in the end. These are nice and substantial.

Fit: The original 48 I ordered was a bit snug in the chest. Jay offered to remake the jacket for me adding two inches to the chest and I believe was planning to add the same to all of the larger sizes in the future. I think that the two inches was primarily added to the front seam as the back still feels a bit close [EDIT: Be advised that I do tend towards a broad back so this may skew this opinion somewhat] and the pockets are a bit wider than the first jacket had them (and just a bit wider than I think would look optimum). I think my jacket was the first effort at this upsizing however. So I'm going to pass these notes on to Jay and I suspect he will continue to refine the pattern as he goes along.

The sleeves are also relatively narrow, which may be somewhat historical. After all, no one wants loose sleeves flapping in the breeze of an open cockpit at 100 knots. Overall though it makes for a not completely roomy jacket; as compared to a G-1 particularly. Again, there is a certain amount of historical accuracy at work here from what I can tell based on pics of originals. But I thought I'd mention it for fitting purposes.

The collar, unlike the A-1, looks best worn closed, IMO. I flipped the collar over a few times, but just didn't think it looked quite right since the knits are rounded rather than pointed. As such, if you prefer open collars then the A-1 is probably more your style. This may change as the collar breaks in a bit. On the other hand, the shawl collar excels at what the jacket was designed for...keeping the wind out and the warm in. For such a thin jacket, the cozy wool collar really makes the jacket warmer than you would think when first putting it on. It's a great item for those windy fall days when it's sitting in the 50s (say 13-15C).

That's about it. This is a very reasonable jacket, nicely made and is a great choice for those looking for a light early fall jacket or those who lean more towards the barnstormer era than the war years. It has a certain Hughesian panache and I think it will be perfect with jeans as in the pictures or even dressed up with a collared shirt and tie.

Here is a pic of the original and a few shots of mine. Sorry for the low quality. As I can, I will upload some better shots.

37J1 Close up_1.jpg

37J2a.jpg

37J4a.jpg

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Idk if the Lounge software upgrade brought this place some good energy or what, but it's been a great day of pics. Great jacket! And those are far from low quality pictures.

Mark

Practically Family
That's a very nice jacket and fits you well. I have a BK A1 in Capeskin. I imagine the goat is way more durable though.
Great jacket.

Skyhawk

Vendor
Looks great Deacon! I'm glad we got you into one that fits. This pattern has slimmer arms than the G-1 and A-2. Especially in the lower arms. We can customize arm width for a minimal custom fee, for those who have the big guns. The arms should work for most guys though. The hide is lightweight but very durable. I have had a few test jackets and put them through a lot of rough treatment. They have held up very well. Enjoy breaking that in!

Cocker

Practically Family
I personnaly prefer the 37J1 in cotton, but the one you got here is really a masterpiece!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav