Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heats Straps Chief Coat vs Ship John Wills Jacket

jchance

One of the Regulars
Shit John is literally a scam and don't fall for it. And even that Heat Straps thing seems overpriced for what you're getting and it fits like utter trash.

Get a Carhartt, seriously. Don't be a victim to these "workwear" scammers.
They literally live off the success of actual workwear companies like Carhartt while not having a single original idea in their collective heads. I mean, Ship John would just get Andy and Bax beanies for $8 a piece, remove the tag and re-sell them at like thirty dollars. That ought to say everything you need to know about the "maker".

I mean, what the hell is even that!?

11e669_784d4f3dc9f24a3c9eeb63cd3f6a039a~mv2.jpg

Thanks for the Ship John review. I hadn’t heard of it until recently.

Outside of the American Heritage brands (eg Filson, Carhartt, RRL), I’m super wary of Made in USA brands: my experience has been that they are grossly overpriced (prob due to rising minimum wage in USA) but feature extremely poor quality for what you pay. They are just a notch above Made in China stuff, but way inferior compared to Made in Japan stuff.

Regarding Iron Heart, it’s like a cult following at this point. Sure, their quality is top notch, but not for the grossly overpriced mark-up in the Western market. I tried the IH 21oz denim, which was surprisingly soft for how heavy it is, but not at 2x the price that I can get with another brand. By way of another example, IH heavy flannel is truly top notch and the best money can buy (if money is no object), but I can get a UES extra heavy flannel at 1/2 the price for essentially the same quality.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Outside of the American Heritage brands (eg Filson, Carhartt, RRL), I’m super wary of Made in USA brands: my experience has been that they are grossly overpriced (prob due to rising minimum wage in USA) but feature extremely poor quality for what you pay. They are just a notch above Made in China stuff, but way inferior compared to Made in Japan stuff.

Regarding Iron Heart, it’s like a cult following at this point. Sure, their quality is top notch, but not for the grossly overpriced mark-up in the Western market. I tried the IH 21oz denim, which was surprisingly soft for how heavy it is, but not at 2x the price that I can get with another brand. By way of another example, IH heavy flannel is truly top notch and the best money can buy (if money is no object), but I can get a UES extra heavy flannel at 1/2 the price for essentially the same quality.
I got two pairs of IH pants second hand at 40% retail which much better reflects their true value, but I suspect I still overpaid, lol.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I got two pairs of IH pants second hand at 40% retail which much better reflects their true value, but I suspect I still overpaid, lol.
I too have a couple items that I purchased on sale through their outlet and they were still expensive, although I wear them a lot so I suppose that means they were a good buy. I also have many jackets and shirts that I purchased at full price and hardly wear at all, not such a good buy…
I really like IH style and quality but the price has made me much more selective then I would be if they Were cheaper.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's a Ship John look jacket, most likely made in Lahore leather district... But their price is still better than Master Supply Co...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana