Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heidi's magnificent wardrobe on Chic Index.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Smashing, smashing, smashing. And this is only the tip of the tip of the iceberg. I really like the way the photographer found great locations for every shot, and how the color is just slightly tweaked in every image. Sometimes enhancing a natural effect conveys the reality more effectively.
Let's see a similar layout for Joe's stupendous wardrobe!

Louise Anne

Suspended
The thing is male photographer on the whole have some system of scoring smarty points to see which lady they can photo with the least on!
Female photographer seam to see the style and what been worn a lot more and often I read, "need to photo more men". becuse there are less men araound who are willing to be photographed.
I all for equality with every thing.

Heidi

One of the Regulars
Update: the aforementioned Joe (McGlynn) is my husband, a sartorial male equivalent to me. Last weekend, the artist/writer (Ike Ude) who created thechicindex shot Joe for an upcoming series of posts. Joe's writing up his comments right now. I'll keep you posted on when his feature starts...perhaps 2 weeks. The 11-part series will include a cameo appearance by me as well, and I'll return full force in the spring with another set of photos drawing on my ever-growing wardrobe (yes, another excuse to shop!). I've found Ike another local female subject in the meantime...so stay tuned!

His scope is wide ranging, but he shoots locally. That said, he does welcome submissions (with his artist's-eye, he is looking for well-composed shots that tell a story).

Heidi

One of the Regulars
PS: a helpful tip to keep in mind if you approach him....he's very particular about how people think of his site and refer to it. It is not a fashion site...but rather a site about personal style. KEY! He's not actually looking to recreate the past through photography (otherwise he would have photo-shopped modern cars out of the background). He was interested and me and Joe for the way we live in these garments and how they make us feel today. Truthfully my clothing choices DO reflect my all-consuming interest in history, but he sees himself as a curator whose subject is style in today's word, however people express it. So that's his approach. Hope that helps to know if any of you do submit...

Last edited:

rue

A little off topic ( I hope you don't mind Heidi), but I've been checking out his site and I think I found my long lost love: http://thechicindex.com/sympathy-for-the-jazz-age-meticulously-expressed-2/

I especially like what he says at the end of his interview....

What is your overall impression of how people dress in general and what do you recommend that they do otherwise?

By not having ties and proper jackets people forget their manners, they don’t dress like gentlemen therefore they don’t open doors and act like gentlemen. A man’s dress is a reflection of his behavior towards women. People should not follow suit they should instead make their own decisions and do things for themselves. They should add various accessories i.e. ties, jackets, handkerchiefs; hats that would help them better appreciate themselves and their own individual style. A man dressed well looks and feels good. And this helps his self-confidence. It all starts with a jacket.

Heidi

One of the Regulars
Ohhh! Thanks for calling our attention to him. I recognize the setting...that's Madison at about 77th, relatively close to my office. I'll be on the look-out for this natty fellow!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Gosh I don’t think I have ever seen such lovely original clothes. AMAZING!
I think 2, 11 and 12 are my favourites oh and the dress with the ruffles….. well actually it was very hard to choose my favourites but I thought I must.
Personally I found it extremely interesting to see the differences in fashion that occurred across the pond- I sort of had an inkling in to what my 30’s/ 40’s contemporary might have thought when watching a Hollywood movie!

It’s a bit like watching Mrs Miniver in the sense of seeing the differences…. a great American film that’s set in a wartime Britain, yet still with decidedly American styling- nothing is right (and I mean nothing!) but you sort of don’t care as the story is lovely and the clothes are so nice! Anyway if you saw it and then watched a British wartime equivalent you would certainly see what I mean!;)

Heidi

One of the Regulars
Thank you! I had never "road tested" it before on the dancefloor...and was delighted that the unexpected lampshade-like shapes it made during the "all skate" portions of the competition were so distracting (in a good way) according to one judge that she looked at us the whole time. Ha!

Louise Anne

Suspended
Thanks, Paul! I'll contact Heidi for advice on how to get it done.

Do not give up on this there are a lot of photographers who are interested in the style which you could be thinking about , and seeing the attention to detail which the men here go to I sure they would give there right arm to work with them, I do know one in the UK who be worth contacting and when I spoken to her she come across as been very nice and approachable and work with a lot of men in the vintage film noir way,
I give any one the link to her port by PM but I not sure if it would break the guiding if I posted it here.
in fact I have a word with her today if I can and see where she stands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran