Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heidi's magnificent wardrobe on Chic Index.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Our friend Heidi is being featured in the CHIC INDEX displaying 13 of her favorite vintage outfits.

Heres the first one
http://thechicindex.com/special-guestheidi-rosenau-dancer-talks-about-her-outfit-1-in-thirteen-acts/
HEIDI-ROSENAU-1.jpg

Go to the basic link to see the others.
http://thechicindex.com/

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Her wardrobe seems to be a real treasure chest full of awesome. I´m not a fan of every outfit, but most of them are wonderful. #11 looks like out of a catalogue!

Louise Anne

Suspended
I do not know if I am the only one who thinks this way, the shape or style of the dress might be right for the period , in some cases I do just not recognised some the patterns and colours of the fabrics uses in reproduction dresses these days as been authentic to the period.

I know I am a purest at heart but feel like it brings on a costume element into the look when the fabric is wrong amd spolis it .
It could be also a part that in the UK we are a lot more conservative with colours.

Even if I am wrong, the photos of the 30's or any vintage period for that from book or films often only depict clothes worn by a small section of society and in my opinion gives a false sense of what style was like in decade.

Heidi

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Bernard, for posting the links! And to all who commented...very appreciate that!

I'm not sure I follow the comment directly above, but just for clarification none of these outfits is a reproduction; they're all authentic vintage pieces...collected over a long period...and probably all American made. It's a challenging and enjoyable quest, isn't it?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I'm not sure I follow the comment directly above, but just for clarification none of these outfits is a reproduction; they're all authentic vintage pieces...collected over a long period...and probably all American made. It's a challenging and enjoyable quest, isn't it?

I understood that outfit 10 is a reproduction? It certainly says that in the post, I just checked.

It's true that like now, people's clothes then differed greatly both in personal taste and location. Yes, British clothing of that period did tend to be not so bright or bold as American clothing. That is part of what I find interesting about collecting too, the differences as well as the trends that caught on all over. I try to collect British clothing as I live here, I like the look and it interests me, but I also buy American made if I like the item. After all, it can be hard enough to find things to cut yourself off from a whole continent of vintage clothing! I do make items too, but only from what I feel are period appropriate fabrics.

There is also the socio-economic view too - like much in history, what you wore depended on your income. Dust Bowl cotton feedsack or silk satin backed crepe? Well, you hopefully get what I mean. :)

And I love the brown coat with fur trim and brown hat. I know exactly what you mean about finding *just* the right hat to go with things.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Oh, I really enjoyed looking through that! I'm quite impressed with the vibrancy of the colors; perhaps it's just the camera, but her wardrobe certainly seems to be rich in beautiful, bright pieces. Perhaps it's just a regional thing (most of my vintage comes from old rural Vermont estates, ie on the drab side ;) ) but I do find it tricky to source the really colorful pieces, especially ones that aren't too faded. So brilliantly styled as well!!

Louise Anne

Suspended
Thanks, Bernard, for posting the links! And to all who commented...very appreciate that!

Outfit ~10 Circa 1932-33 rayon dress reproduction ( from the text on the page )
http://thechicindex.com/special-guestheidi-rosenau-talks-about-her-10th-outfit-10-in-thirteen-acts/

Heidi my point was along the lines of Miss Sis so I not going to go into all the logic about that as Miss Sis put it well already.
Today there are a lot of US reproduction been bought into the UK and worn in photo shoots, Male photographers are not interest if something is 70 years also or 7 weeks they said so in moderlling forums to me.
it's all the same the them!
I just think you have to make it a whole lot clearer to people like me, Any one can buy a vintage look off the peg and wear it but for me that's not the point in collecting original vintage fashions.
some people I know do not care as long as it's vintage , that open up a whole new debate.

Last edited:

Johnnysan

One Too Many
A truly lovely lady with an impeccable sense of style! This is exactly why so many men on the Lounge yearn for a return of the fashion, culture and civility of the Golden Era!

A breath of spring on a damp, dreary Autumn day. :eusa_clap

Louise Anne

Suspended
A truly lovely lady with an impeccable sense of style! This is exactly why so many men on the Lounge yearn for a return of the fashion, culture and civility of the Golden Era!

A breath of spring on a damp, dreary Autumn day. :eusa_clap

it's all about getting that message out into the wider world, and not just "old clothes" which vintage it commonly referred to here that's a quote not from me from a vintage dealer listerning to ladies who come into her shop and see what she selling.
Yet the charity shops here are packed with ladies looking and buying last years clothes which are not too stylish at all.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I understood that outfit 10 is a reproduction? It certainly says that in the post, I just checked.
That appears to be an error in the text which Heidi corrects in the comments section below.

Aileen: it’s not a reproduction; it’s an authentic piece from LaRosa Vintage (FYI everyone else: in San Francisco’s upper Haight Street). The dress must have been a very special piece to the person who saved it, as I treasure it. If reproduced, I wager this would sell well

Louise Anne

Suspended
That appears to be an error in the text which Heidi corrects in the comments section below.

Aileen: it’s not a reproduction; it’s an authentic piece from LaRosa Vintage (FYI everyone else: in San Francisco’s upper Haight Street). The dress must have been a very special piece to the person who saved it, as I treasure it. If reproduced, I wager this would sell well

I think that strengthers my original point, if the people doing the interview cannot get the basic facts like that right when there are photographing and talking to the lady theire is no hope for me people like me who collect and write about them and not just goes to the trouble of double checking also triple cheching my facts. Worst of all they cannot be bothered to alter it even when it's been pointed out, what else is wrong?.

Last edited:

Heidi

One of the Regulars
Not to beat a dead horse here but the dress is not a reproduction. I didn't realize that the admin mistakenly changed my description to add that word, but I had written high up in the posts just below that it was not modern-made when I was asked about the manufacturer. He has now changed the description back to my wording.

Thanks for all of the comments. I love thinking about what fabrics/patterns would be used with reference to geographic/cultural differences...as well as why people save things....and therefore what survives now. I could go on for days about that question in particular.

Louise Anne

Suspended
I always beating dead horses Heidi, the fact still remain that you do have a great wardrobe, senses of style and must have put a lot of effort into finding every thing .
Talking geographic/cultural differences. in the UK we do not see the same fabrics/patterns as you pre 1940's becuse it cast so much to travel to the US and back again so not many people would do it, France is only 30 odd mile away and a lot of our would have come from Europe much more easy to travel.
1940/50 (roughly) you had clothes rationing if you needed a new winter coat you would be able to buy one but that would nearly use up your years coupon up so you could not by any thing else for a year maybe a pair of sock , second hand clother wear not rationed so in effect most clothes then got worn and used so not much is left for us to collect these days and what is now is very expensive. so a lot of vintage these day are US imports from that period shipping and customs puts up the cost again.

In 2006 I paid about £15-£20 for a dress today it's more like £75 -£85 for the same qulity ones, I cannot offord that moey now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran