Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heinrich Hoffmann's hidden Hitler photos bring £30,000

Story

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating what still floats to the surface, after 65 years.

The photographs and negatives went under the hammer as part of a 300-lot militaria sale at JP Humbert Auctioneers in Towcester, Northamptonshire.

The collection of 600-800 images, taken during the Nazi party's rise to power before the Second World War, were taken by Hitler's personal photographer Heinrich Hoffmann.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...nseen-Adolf-Hitler-photos-sold-for-30000.html

Heinrich Hoffmann, who worked as a photographer in Munich from 1908, joined the NSDAP - referred to as the Nazi Party - in 1920.

He was chosen by Hitler as his official photographer, and his photographs were published as postage stamps, postcards, posters and picture books, for which both he and Hitler received royalties from all uses of Hitler's image.

In 1933 Hoffmann was elected to the Reichstag and in 1938 Hitler appointed him a 'Professor'.

During the Third Reich he also wrote many books on Hitler.

Hoffmann was arrested by the Americans in May 1945 and after the war was tried and sentenced to four years for Nazi profiteering.

A large archive of his photographs was seized by the United States government during the Allied occupation of Germany, now held by the National Archives and Records Administration.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pher-brought-light-auction.html#ixzz1Bak5R4ry

LandGirl1980

New in Town
Thanks for the update. I had heard about this on the grapevine - but had lost track of the story. I thought they would have fetched a little more than that - but that's still a large chunk of cash!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner