Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello! I'm new too, just wanted to introduce myself.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Well on that note, I supposed I'd better do that.

As the name probably suggests I'm in Canada, y'all can call me Lisa.
I am just trying to find my own way to live vintage in a very conservative city, that is not too pleased with people being particularly different. (case in point my Victorian Goth friends)
I'm in my second year of baby-teacherhood :) at my college, in a second grade class, so I need to be considerate of the students, their parents, and my colleagues.

Any recommendations on style, and vintage flair, would be greatly appreciated. I particularly love the 30's and 40's, I even got my hands on a 1930 style gown for my cousine's wedding this october.

Well just wanted to say hello, and ask for some advice of you lovely ladies, but now I need to go to class.

Talk later!
Lisa

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Hello Lisa!

Very nice to meet you. Where in Canada are you?

I recently had a conversation with my favorite vintage-wear shopkeep about another customer who was a teacher and how well the children responded to her dress. To hear tell, they would wait in eager anticipation by the faculty lounge door to see what Miss so-and-so was wearing that day. I thought that was cute!

Hope to see you around.

Honey Doll

Elaina

One Too Many
Welcome Lisa!

Personally, I'd rather my son's teachers wear vintage then the capris and t-shirts showing off their ankle tattoos, or looking like they crawled out of the bar too late to change.

But (and others I'm sure will also have an opinion) if it's a concern, then one way I'd modernize it would be to pair a 40's jacket and blouse with modern slacks or jeans. Or pair the retro skirt with a modern top. And another thing to consider, taste is never really out of style: if you choose your garments with care, classic styling, and neutral color choices, you can create a mix and match wardobe incorporating vintage pieces that look classic and professional. There's a thread to an article where a woman discusses just that with better tact than I can ever manage. :)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Wow! such a warm welcome!

Well, Miss Elaina, your ideas sound great, and I'll try them out, I just don't want to ruffle feathers ya know? :) I know what you mean though with the tattoos and bar outfits I've seen some pretty interesting things to say it politely, and I consider it important to keep my tattoo covered in the school.

And yay! I have a partner in newbiehood! Great to meet you Miss GOK, hope we'll have fun getting to know every one.

As per your question Miss Honey Doll, I'm in Alberta, kind of central, so winter can be an adventure:)

On that thought, any recommendations to stay warm and classy, in -20?
I can't believe I get snowed on for Halloween!:rage: It's my favorite holiday.

Guten Tag to Germany Lady DeWinter! I'm trying to learn German, it's tough! The best thing I can say is "I am the tour guide"lol

Thanks for all the ideas and warmth ladies, Good bye for now!

Lisa

olive bleu

One Too Many
welcome from a fellow canuck! I think you underestimate kids. my own think it is down right skanky when their teachers have come to school in low slung pants and crop tops.they are 2 boys that always loved the nice, pretty, well dressed teachers best!as for a conservative town....i hear ya...but then i have always been considered a weirdo.Feel free to march to the beat of your own drummer!Life is too short to not be yourself!;)

absynth

New in Town
CanadaDoll said:
Wow! such a warm welcome!

Well, Miss Elaina, your ideas sound great, and I'll try them out, I just don't want to ruffle feathers ya know? :) I know what you mean though with the tattoos and bar outfits I've seen some pretty interesting things to say it politely, and I consider it important to keep my tattoo covered in the school.

And yay! I have a partner in newbiehood! Great to meet you Miss GOK, hope we'll have fun getting to know every one.

As per your question Miss Honey Doll, I'm in Alberta, kind of central, so winter can be an adventure:)

On that thought, any recommendations to stay warm and classy, in -20?
I can't believe I get snowed on for Halloween!:rage: It's my favorite holiday.

Guten Tag to Germany Lady DeWinter! I'm trying to learn German, it's tough! The best thing I can say is "I am the tour guide"lol

Thanks for all the ideas and warmth ladies, Good bye for now!

Lisa
Lisa
welcome from a fellow Canadian. I am in Vancouver BC where in Alberta are you? I grew up in Alta and most of my family lives there. I am a newbie too, so welcome to the club!!! Good luck in your vintage search:)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Okay, this is just to see if my fiddling worked, all answers to questions are now on the "newbies front and center" thread.

But if this works, there should be a quote of Judy Garland from The Easter Parade, I ran out of room to credit the film, but I absolutely love it, and that particular song.

Cheers!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hello from one Lisa to another!

As far as clothing suggestions, I love sweater twin sets (they are cute, warm but conservative and you can be taken serious in them, I like ones in non conservative colors, I have one in a bright beautiful rust color) don't forget to add a nice vintage broach, pair them up with cute narrow leg jeans and flats or skirts, tights (instead of hose for warmth factor) and boots.

Brooksie Aka Lisa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner