Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help date late father's pea coat - please

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
The tag is missing:(. It is way too small for me, but it fits my 14 year old son fine. Daddy stayed in the Navy about 32 years. Most of his time was in the reserve. He passed away in 2000.

Earlylate.jpg

Inside.jpg

Sleeve.jpg

InsidePocket.jpg

Button.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Did you check out the Peacoat Dating thread?

From the quick look look I took, it seems that 1966 was the last year that the double row of stitches above the cuff was used.

Peacoat

Bartender
I need a look at the tront of the coat while it is buttoned. It looks like a 6 button showing coat, but I can't tell for sure. What year did he go in the Navy?

Peacoat

Bartender
About the best I can do is 1965 or before with the information I have now. Look closely at the spot where the tag once was. Are there any discernible thread holes? If so, please post a picture of the area just below the interior chest pocket, showing those thread holes and how they relate to the top of the chest pocket.

Peacoat

Bartender
Beautiful pictures! Either 1952, his original coat, or between 1954 and 1965. The original fouled anchor buttons have been replaced with the gold officer/chief Eagle buttons. He probably started wearing a bridge coat at some point after he made chief. Most chiefs and officers did so once they were authorized to wear the bridge coat. The bridge coat was full length but the wool wasn't as thick or warm. Nice to have a full length coat, though, as the extra length helped keep the cold out.

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I don't remember seeing him in a bridge coat. Based on your info, I bet it is the one he bought sometime between 1952-1956. He was pretty much in the reserves after 1956.

My mother said he gave away most of his navy uniforms and stuff to guys he knew still in service after he had retired.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner