Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finding an FL Taboo item...

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I still wear the felts some (mostly in the winter and when hiking/camping, because they really are better for that sort of thing), but I've taken to wearing a fairly plain green baseball cap when traveling, to school, etc.

Unfortunately, the cap is starting to fall apart (I know, I know, wouldn't happen with a fedora, but I like this hat). I can't seem to find it on the original maker's website, and it's definately no longer in stores. When I search "custom baseball caps" literally millions of links are shown. I'd like to have one made, but I don't like what I see. Are there any makers that ya'll know of that could be persuaded to do something along those lines?

Here's a pic of me in the hat:

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
I can't help you, Kodiak...:eusa_doh:
But I know the feeling; I once bought a used (used!) baseball cap sporting a stars and stripes logo from a US soldier ("open day" at the Brussels DOD school right behind my house), and wore this cap for literally thousands of kilometers training for marathons, wore it at several marathons, kept throwing it into the washing machine, till the US badge started to come off, the brim tore along its edge, inners spilling out...ended up -uncermoniously- throwing it away. Irreplacable: by that time, the marathons had left my life...[huh].
Man is an animal of habit (lest he go naked!) lol
Paul

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hiya Kodiak,

What about sending the design on the old one to Cooperstown Ball Cap? Their prices are a lot higher than for your average gimme cap, but the caps are well made, and come in standard hat sizes instead of having a one-size fits nobody adjustable plastic tab in the back.

I see from my bookmarks that their URL is www.ballcap.com.

I don't wear either of my Coopertown caps often, but the workmanship on them is about as high as on any cap I own.

Cheers,
Mark

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Mike K.- Haven't checked there but I will. See what I mean about the thousands of sites?

Bruce Wayne- It is indeed a shamrock (three-leaf clover if there's any confusion). Little white one in the corner kinda.

Pablo- glad to hear that somebody else shares my affinity for baseball caps. Sorry that your's fell apart though... mine is doing the same thing. The stitching along the bill is tearing and there is a pretty good size hole forming around the button. :(

Tandmark- that sounds really good. I've come to the point where I don't mind paying to have my hat replicated. I even tried going through Indy Magnoli, but he suggested I try elsewhere... As far as sizes go, that's one thing I really must have: all my caps are fitted.

EDIT: I just checked at Cooperstown and it looks like all of their caps are wool. Anybody know if they can do cotton, or am I just going to need to speak directly with the company?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Ok... everyone prepare to be shocked... yes, I do shop here, its a teenage thing I guess....

American Eagle (ultra-trendy, overpriced store that nevertheless has nice jeans, if you can find them without holes)

Jovan- sorry, but the Hemingway ain't what I'm huntin' for brother.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I used to shop at AE as well, but either their styles changed or mine did. They had some pretty cool ball caps back before trucker caps got big, but I haven't seen anything great there in a long time. I too bought a green one with a sort of a knock-off of the 8th Air Force patch on it. That was just before I went through my cap-making phase. I would pick up plain ball caps when I encountered them (one in a discount store in Wisconsin and one at Target) and buy vintage car patches on eBay and make my own logo caps.

Alas, I haven't seen a "plain" cap without some kind of prominent maker's logo in a couple years now. The world is becoming so saturated with advertising it's ridiculous.

-Dave

Kodiak

A-List Customer
It really is getting pretty ridiculous. I've come to wearing plain black and gray t-shirts a lot just to get away from the brands. And its really not even the walking advertisement-factor that is bad, its the stigmas that are associated with the brands.

I don't see why people can't just accept other people, but we are all guilty of that I guess.

Anyway, my cap is very plain. They even managed not to stick AE all over it, which is a plus for me.

Jovan

Suspended
All good Kodiak. If I may be blunt though, I think it would last far longer than something made by American Eagle. [huh] Not recommending just for "vintage" value or anything.

Hope you find something. My grandmother was similarly annoyed that she couldn't find a simple unadorned baseball cap a few years ago on one of our outings.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
All good Kodiak. If I may be blunt though, I think it would last far longer than something made by American Eagle. [huh] Not recommending just for "vintage" value or anything.

Hope you find something. My grandmother was similarly annoyed that she couldn't find a simple unadorned baseball cap a few years ago on one of our outings.

Oh, I'm sure it would last much longer. My much loved cap can attest to that lol. Vintage is almost always better, in my opinion. I just can't stand long bills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass