Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

moustache

Practically Family
My pens

I have been using fountain pens for many years and adore them!!
Here are a few of the pens in my collection.I love my Viscontis the most!!!
Here are the triplets:
triplets7.jpg

Here is my Signum Nova:
3b_12.jpg

And the Tryphon Clef:
Clef_3.jpg

Green Conklin:
DSC_0051.jpg

The Danitrio Alphaplus
alphaplus1.jpg

Danitrio_Alphaplus_2.jpg

All shot with the Nikon D50 digital
WOuld love to buy more but,since my millions are tied up in future earnings....

JD Ross

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow Mr. Moustache, you have quite an incredible pen collection!

Thanks too for saying the type of camera being used. I'm in the market for a new one. I have, up until a few years ago, always used Nikon. I have always liked them, and have just been reminded that they are one of the few companies that make their own lenses. I can tell from the detail in your pictures, that the Nikon is a good one.

As for pens, I haven't bought a new one in a few weeks. Any recommendations on how to get over Pen buying withdrawle, aside from going out and buying another pen!

moustache

Practically Family
Is there such a thing??

Daisy Buchanan said:
Wow Mr. Moustache, you have quite an incredible pen collection!

Thanks too for saying the type of camera being used. I'm in the market for a new one. I have, up until a few years ago, always used Nikon. I have always liked them, and have just been reminded that they are one of the few companies that make their own lenses. I can tell from the detail in your pictures, that the Nikon is a good one.

As for pens, I haven't bought a new one in a few weeks. Any recommendations on how to get over Pen buying withdrawle, aside from going out and buying another pen!

Hehe.Well Daisy,i have NEVER been able to get over pen buying!!!It subsides a little,thats all! I use Fountain Pen network most of the time.Great place for all things pen related.I use my fountain pens exclusively.No ballpoints or pencils.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

As for Nikon,i have used them for over 25 years.I was a freelancer for some years and always used film.But digital just became too powerful and the price so right,i had to make the plunge.I still have my Nikon N80 and FG.just in case my digitals go belly up. And on vacations i take both bodies with me.Film and digital.I love Nikon lenses.Good value even in their lower priced line.

And the D50 has really dropped in price.Everyone is so fixated on "pixels" that they fail to understand that the lens does all the work.One might have 12 megapixels but with a lens the size of a pea,the image just won't rival a large lens and 6 MP. Not even close.Ask any pro photographer.

Sounds like Nikon might be building a newer D series.Keep your eye out for that.Maybe around the $500 level.

Jim

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you, John and Scott, it is a beautiful pen and quite substantial in the hand. It has great balance, but I joke that it weighs a pound.

I have been working on a guidebook for Italy in a moleskine with it, which you see above. I may have to take it with me to keep the writing consistent. ;)

Daisy Buchanan

moustache said:
Hehe.Well Daisy,i have NEVER been able to get over pen buying!!!It subsides a little,thats all! I use Fountain Pen network most of the time.Great place for all things pen related.I use my fountain pens exclusively.No ballpoints or pencils.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

As for Nikon,i have used them for over 25 years.I was a freelancer for some years and always used film.But digital just became too powerful and the price so right,i had to make the plunge.I still have my Nikon N80 and FG.just in case my digitals go belly up. And on vacations i take both bodies with me.Film and digital.I love Nikon lenses.Good value even in their lower priced line.

And the D50 has really dropped in price.Everyone is so fixated on "pixels" that they fail to understand that the lens does all the work.One might have 12 megapixels but with a lens the size of a pea,the image just won't rival a large lens and 6 MP. Not even close.Ask any pro photographer.

Sounds like Nikon might be building a newer D series.Keep your eye out for that.Maybe around the $500 level.

Jim
Thank you, that is very good advice. I'm definitely going to choose a camera based on it's lens performance rather than it's pixels. I'd rather have a somewhat bigger camera with a good optical zoom, rather than a smaller camera with higher mega-pixels and digital zoom.

Modern Versus Vintage

At this moment I am addressing the cover letters for my resume and stuffing the hand addressed envelopes of the companies i have selected from the sema list. I have some 9 pens inked right now and use each one for a few letters then switch over to another for a change of pace.

The new pens are:
Sheaffer Intrigue Blue on Blue with a medium nib. Caran D'Ache Blue ink.
Lamy Safari Clear (Demonstrator) fine point, Lamy Blue cartridge
Conklin Glider fine point with Aurora Black
SPW Proffessional fine point PR Midnight blue
Waterman Phileas fine point Waterman Blue cartridge

The Vintage are:
Parker 45 fine point (semi hooded nib) Parker Quink Blue
Parker Duofold Junior (1926-28) fine point some flex Parker Quink Blue
Pelikan 140 (1950's) fine almost a stub nib Pelikan Blue
A large (LJ Series) Esterbrook #9668 Medium General Writing nib PR American Blue

All are a joy to use, handle and write differently and are proof to me that variety is the spice of life.;)

Happy Writing!

Daisy Buchanan

Uh Oh, I've done it again. I went to Levenger this afternoon, and they are still having their big pen sale. I ended up buying 2 more. I gave in and bought a Mont Blanc Meisterstruck Platinum Chopin Line. It is black with platinum and an 18k white gold nib. They only had medium nibs left, but to my surprise, I was very happy with the line it draws. It is so smooth, and not at all thick. I bought some Mont Blanc blue ink, and I really like it a lot. It is not watery, like some of the other water based inks I have come across.
The pen is not only nice to write with, but it is light weight, and not too big for my small hand. I look forward to making lots journal entries and hand written letters to my pen pal with this pen. I still love my Cartier Mini Diablo, but this Mont Blanc is a little bigger, a little heavier. It's gonna be tough deciding which one to carry with me. So, I'm investing in a portable leather pen holder that holds up to four pens and will fit nicely into my handbag. That way, I can bring all my favorite pens with me, and won't have any regrets of leaving one behind.
The second pen I bought is made by Levenger. It is a fine nib Verona, in a very pretty carmel color. It looks like a marbelized resin. It was a very good price. I didn't realize that such a pretty pen could be so inexpensive. I've never used the Levenger brand before, so I really don't know of the quality. But, I am very happy with the way it writes. For a fine nib, it's not scratchy at all. Anyone looking to get into fountain pens and don't want to spend a lot of money on one, this Levenger Verona would be a good choice, next to the Waterman Phileas. It's a pen that I can just throw into my book bag and really not worry about.
Very happy with both purchases, especially the Mont Blanc. I always said I would never buy a Mont Blanc, especially after spending money on the Cartier. But, they had one left in the store, and it was on sale, so I said "when am I ever going to get the chance to buy a Mont Blanc on sale", so I couldn't pass it up. OK, as you can see, I'm trying very hard to justify my purchase!!
I was trying to hold out to buy a fountain pen in Italy. I really would like to own a MonteGrappa. It would just be so nice if I can find one while I'm there. I also swore that my next fountain pen purchase would be a vintage fountain pen. But, oh well. I'm very happy that I got the Mont Blanc. Argh, the collection gets bigger. Now I just have to buy a nice display case for them all. They also have a very nice Aurora that comes in a few different sizes and colors that has really been reduced, if anyone is interested. I'm not sure if they have it on their web site, but they did have it in the store.
Well, thanks guys. All of your great information has turned me into a pen addict!! I hope someone will bring some ink with them to the Queen Mary. I'd like to bring a few of my pens with me, but I'd have to fly with them while empty. Be nice to be able to fill them up when we get to the ship. I'd really like to get a look at the vintage ones you all have. It will help to give me a better idea of what I will like and not like in a vintage pen. I promise, outside of the pen I hope to buy in Italy, my next fountain pen purchase will be vintage!

Pen Addiction - there is no antidote!

Daisy Buchanan said:
Uh Oh, I've done it again. I went to Levenger this afternoon, and they are still having their big pen sale. I ended up buying 2 more. I gave in and bought a Mont Blanc Meisterstruck Platinum Chopin Line. The second pen I bought is made by Levenger. It is a fine nib Verona, in a very pretty carmel color.
Daisy!:eek:

Some fine additions to your collection certainly. I think that Levenger has Stipula make their Verona for them, I know that they have had Sheaffer make pens for them also. I have a Levenger FP that has a Titanium nib in white called the Samba. It is a truly flexible nib and a delight to use. Mont Blanc is a fine maker and the chance to get one on sale is fairly rare. Best wishes for a long and happy writing life with both pens.

Best wishes,

Daisy Buchanan

John in Covina said:
Daisy!:eek:

Some fine additions to your collection certainly. I think that Levenger has Stipula make their Verona for them, I know that they have had Sheaffer make pens for them also. I have a Levenger FP that has a Titanium nib in white called the Samba. It is a truly flexible nib and a delight to use. Mont Blanc is a fine maker and the chance to get one on sale is fairly rare. Best wishes for a long and happy writing life with both pens.

Best wishes,
Why thank you John! I certainly am enjoying both new additions. I am really glad that I got the Mont Blanc on sale. In addition to the sale price I received a $25 gift card to Levenger for spending over $150. So now I might just put that towards the purchase of the Aurora. I can't remember the exact name of the Aurora that I liked, but I do remember that it was really marked down. Might not be able to pass up purchasing it on sale and having an extra $25 off. Or I might just put it towards a beautiful wooden and glass display case for pens that will look nice on my bureau. Hmm, decisions decisions:)

Daisy Buchanan said:
I might just put it towards a beautiful wooden and glass display case for pens that will look nice on my bureau. Hmm, decisions decisions:)

If you go to their web site and put pen disply in their search box you'll get the different display cases. I have the box with top and the museum case, but the "Pen Easel" I think is a great design, becase when opened it is a nice designed pen holder allowing you to select a pen from your line up. When closed it protects them well. I think you can get it engraved too if yyou want.

The pen museum is a nice design for display but i am very careful not to knock it over when opening or closing. And the box with glass lid, I am careful not to let the lid drop to keep from shattering the glass..

For my working pens I have some open holders that has the pens lined up in order and is difficult to tip or break, again as my the work-a -day display holders.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Daisy, Daisy, Daisy... the first step is admitting you have a problem. The next step is to buy another pen!;) I hope to be able to compare some pens with you folks at the QM in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll have my vintage Conklin by then which Bert at Pen Haven is putting together for me. There's also a seller on eBay by the seller name of wkiffin that makes nice leather pen cases for MUCH cheaper than I've seen them at stores. I saw one in person from a fellow customer at Pen Haven and it was a very nice case with beautifully smooth leather. He sells a 6 pen leather case for only about 30 bucks. I'm planing on getting one myself....

Barry

Practically Family
Rick,

Any suggestings for bringing a fountain pen on an airplane? Is this a major issue? I would like to bring my Eversharp and also the Monteverde Mega out to California. I'm heading out Friday at about 9AM from Reagan National.

I have read all sorts of recommendations from "do nothing" to draining a certain amount of ink.

Barry

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Barry,

There are numerous opinions regarding this, but even though the Skyline pens were originally advertised as leakproof on airplanes, the truth was otherwise. (In fact, they eventually had to change their advertising.) Whereas many modern pens no longer face this problem, vintage pens (with the exception of the Parker 51) often have issues on airplanes.

The problem is that when you have air in the in ink sac (as obviously happens as you use the pen and reduce your ink supply) the air will expand in the sac from the change in air pressure/altitude. The expanding air will then push the ink in the only direction it can -- through the pen and out the nib. If you have little or no air in your ink sac, then this reduces the problem, so some folks will make sure the pen is as full of ink as possible before flying. Others will do the opposite by making sure the pen is empty, so there is no ink to leak whatsoever.

Either way, I'd make sure you have a couple of tissues tucked away somewhere and I'd advise not writing with your Eversharp while in flight, just to be on the safe side. If you carry it with ink, I'd have the tissues ready when you finally open the pen in the event a blob of ink is waiting for you. I plan on bringing several pens to the QM in a couple of weeks, but I think I'm going to play it safe by keeping the pens empty and packing a small bottle of ink in my suitcase. (I'm not certain on current airline regulations regarding the amount of ink you can bring and how it needs to be stored.)

Good luck! Oh, how are you enjoying your Eversharp, anyway?

Rick

Barry

Practically Family
binkmeisterRick said:
Good luck! Oh, how are you enjoying your Eversharp, anyway?

Rick

Thanks Rick,

It's a great pen. It's very smooth writing and I love showing it around. I also like the fact that it doesn't skip at all. The fine nib is excellent.

Barry

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Hemingway, that's why you seal the ink bottle in a secure plastic bag or container. Or in your case, just go ahead and pour it in the pocket of your favorite suit.[huh]

Barry, I'm glad you're enjoying your pen! I'm curious, what color is your Skyline? I have a burgundy pen with the burgundy and gold striped cap. It's quite a sharp looking pen.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
binkmeisterRick said:
Hemingway, that's why you seal the ink bottle in a secure plastic bag or container. Or in your case, just go ahead and pour it in the pocket of your favorite suit.[huh]
If I were to do that, I would probably bring a new bottle, so I knew it was sealed and I would probably leave it behind. With luck like mine, you have to allow for any eventuality. ;)

Barry

Practically Family
Rick, mine is black with a gold cap. The derby is gold-fill and I think it is a presentation cap. The lines on the cap are longitudinal which apparently makes it fairly rare.

It's a small pen and there's lots of room for it in my two-pen case. I usually try to care a nice rollerball (now fountain pens too) and my Lamy multifunction pen.

Once I'm settled into a new job I think I might look into finding an very inexpensive broad tip fountain pen to use as a highlighter. I skim a lot of documents and reports and I like to highlight various things for patrons sometimes. It would be nice to do that with a cool highlighter ink.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot