Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Barry said:
Rick, mine is black with a gold cap. The derby is gold-fill and I think it is a presentation cap. The lines on the cap are longitudinal which apparently makes it fairly rare.

I think I know exactly which pen that is! (I told you I'm at Pen Haven pretty often!;) ) It's a sharp looking pen. Happy to know it's got a good home now. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
If I were to do that, I would probably bring a new bottle, so I knew it was sealed and I would probably leave it behind. With luck like mine, you have to allow for any eventuality. ;)
Yeah, and you're gonna have me with you too, so luck definitely won't be running high.
I was planning on bringing a few of my fountain pens with me, and hoping that someone would have some nice blue ink, so we can play around and compare.
I think however, if you really want to fly with ink, you can get a new bottle that is still sealed and then seal this in one of those smaller tupperware containers. Then, wrap the container in an old rag or shirt that you don't wear anymore, something to absorb any ink that might possibly leak out.
The TSA website has a list of things you can and cannot carry onto a plane. It's changing every week. I'm not sure how many ounces of liquid you can actually carry on board with you. I know as of recently, they are finally letting flyers bring contact cases with very small amounts of solution in them. But I don't think it's more than that.
Anywho, wrapped to the gills, I think an un-opened bottle of ink could fair well for a flight. You just might want to give the un-used portion to someone who doesn't have to fly home, because I really don't want to fly with the bottle once the seal has been broken.

In flight INK

As to modern pens, well many still suffer from air flight leaking. THey try to design for the pressure with out altering the flow but it is a tough act to balance. Any pen whether sacked, piston filler, cartridge or convertor will leak because of the expansion of the air in with the ink.

BUT: the solution is to fly with them TOTALLY FULL (no air space to push)
or Empty.

Most ink bottles these days have good seal with their screw top caps and should not leak whether opened previously or not. I'd wrap some paper towels around them and put them in a heavy duty zip lock bag. (or two) and pack it in the center of my socks. in the center of the bag and check it in. When I travel I like to have some things that they won't let you carry on, so I often check my bags thru and not worry about confiscated items.

Anyway. alot of people will put their FP's in a zip lock too, with some paper towels as not to wear the ink during the trip. :eusa_doh:

Careful packing is the key.

Sincerely,

cwm7128

New in Town
Every Day Fountain Pen

I have a modest fountain pen collection, but since i have been called both messy and a slob ( wife numbers 1 and 2 ) i have found that the best pen for every day use is the Mont Blanc Boheme LeGrand, which retracts. This prevents , for the most part, the ink blots I often get on my suits. one negative i have found is that the Nib os rather stif so it takes while to break in. Otherwise, this is great ll purpose , albeit a rather pricey at approximately $450,pen.

Charles McCarthy
cwm7128@comcast.net

While I do realize that numbering and my wives is in bad taste, I put forth that using numbers is far better than the alternative, which would be to refer to them by what comes first to my tongue. That however would be rude. I\ So please forgive me my temporary lapse in taste, and know that i am not collecting wives.

Daisy Buchanan

cwm7128 said:
I have a modest fountain pen collection, but since i have been called both messy and a slob ( wife numbers 1 and 2 ) i have found that the best pen for every day use is the Mont Blanc Boheme LeGrand, which retracts. This prevents , for the most part, the ink blots I often get on my suits. one negative i have found is that the Nib os rather stif so it takes while to break in. Otherwise, this is great ll purpose , albeit a rather pricey at approximately $450,pen.

Charles McCarthy
cwm7128@comcast.net

While I do realize that numbering and my wives is in bad taste, I put forth that using numbers is far better than the alternative, which would be to refer to them by what comes first to my tongue. That however would be rude. I\ So please forgive me my temporary lapse in taste, and know that i am not collecting wives.
I love the Mont Blanc with the retractible nib. It is so clever, and really makes the pen compact. I actually found one at Levenger, but passed it up for I was already buying two pens that day. I'm so mad I did, for when I went back this past weekend to take a second look, they had sold the last one. It was on sale, nearly half price, so mad I passed it up:(

Retract, Retract!

Retractable nibs were prevelant in the past, I believe they were called Safety pens as the design protected the nib when not in use and when capping.

Currently, Pilot / Namiki makes the Vanishing Point which is much beloved and has been around for 30 - 40 years.

Monteverde makes pen called the Diva where the nib screws in and out like a lipstick.

Sincerely.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
The only thing I don't like about the Namiki Vanishing Point is that I have to rest my fingers on the clip when I write. I personally find it uncomfortable when trying to hold the pen. Other than that, it has a great nib and is a nifty pen design. It just doesn't work for my writing style. Also, if you like a truly fine nib, Namiki's fine is just that. Many modern pens' "fine" is closer to a medium point.

Fine with ME!

The clip design certainly doesn't fit everybody's writing style, I don't have a problem with it, luckily.:)

The Asian Pen manufacturers are noted for a fine point that is halfway between the European Extra Fine and Fine point and much finer than the US fine point.
++++++++++
binkmeisterRick said:
The only thing I don't like about the Namiki Vanishing Point is that I have to rest my fingers on the clip when I write. I personally find it uncomfortable when trying to hold the pen. Other than that, it has a great nib and is a nifty pen design. It just doesn't work for my writing style. Also, if you like a truly fine nib, Namiki's fine is just that. Many modern pens' "fine" is closer to a medium point.

art92101

One of the Regulars
Nice Pen for less than $50

Try a peliken 200 series. It is small enough to keep in your shirt and i use the fine point. i also water down the ink ( peliken or waterman violet ink) and this makes the ink less thick. the lesser viscosity I like. it keeps the lines finer and dries faster. I got mine from a german vendor in Ebay.

art92101 said:
Try a peliken 200 series. It is small enough to keep in your shirt and i use the fine point. i also water down the ink ( peliken or waterman violet ink) and this makes the ink less thick. the lesser viscosity I like. it keeps the lines finer and dries faster. I got mine from a german vendor in Ebay.

I have an Amber M200 in broad for addressing envelopes and an M215 in fine, but I have a 140 series (late 50's early 60's) that is like a flex fine stub that I bought from Rick Propas at the 2004 La Pen Show. That was my first vintage pen and first Pelikan which makes me say you can't beat Pelikans for write ability.

I have 8 Pelikans fountain pens:
a "Go"
a Future
m200
m215
m400
m605
m1000
and the 140.

Would like to get an M800 at some point.

Sincerely,

Some new pix Wahl-Eversharp

Hi Gang!

I posted a couple of pictures of the 7 Wahl-Eversharp fountain pens in the Display Case section for you to see.

I like the style of these and they are all good writers except the un-used one which I have held off trying out.

I tend to spend a little too much for these but after getting them reconditioned, I am happy with them all, especially the Gold Seal.

Daisy Buchanan

I finally took some pictures of my two new fountain pens.
The first is a Pelikan. I bought it in Venice, after losing my Waterman Charleston in Rome. It is a clear dark blue, fine nib, and writes incredibly well. It doesn't take cartridges, which is fine with me. I really don't know how to explain it, but all I have to do is twist the end to fill it with ink. I was told this is a re-creation of a vintage pen.
The second is a Cross. It too writes quite well. I must admit, I really only bought it for it's pink color. So silly I know. But, it's a workhorse of a pen, especially for the price. I really like the way it writes, and it posts quite well too. It's a good, solid, well constructed pen. Hem and I have a friend who is the manager of the local Cross store, so aside from getting a good pen, he gave it to me at a discount and threw in a bunch of new converters and ink. Yahoo! Maybe that's why I like it so much!

The Pelikan Presidium

The Pelikan is the 600 series Blue Ocean and is a limited edition. They only make the transparent ones for a while.

Welcome to the club, you are an official member of the Pelikan Presidium!
If you are a Pelikan Pen owner, join the Presidium!

I am a member in good standing with 7 Pelikans!
Down one, gave the Pelikan Future away as a gift.

Pelikan Presidium

The Pelikan Line up is superb. Only a few of the low end pens take a cartridge, the majority are like Daisy's Blue Ocean, a piston filler. piston fillers tend to be the prefered filling method for the high end pens like Montblanc and Omas.

Pelikan makes their pens in sizes and grades with their M200 as a student pen and it is still posible to find the transparent versions. It has a steel nib but is a piston filler. i have an Amber with Broad nib, great for addressing envelopes or big signatures. They are making an Italic version of the M200 which makes for a certain panache in ones writing and a snazzy signature. The M215 is the same size and nib with a decorted body.

The M400 is about the same size as the M200 but upgrades to a solid gold nib, its style is classic, and you can get the green stripe body known as Streusemann. From the 400 up it is solid gold nibs and mostly gold trim. I have the Tortise stripe with Ivory colored cap, gorgeous pen and super writer.

The M600 series is bigger than the M400. I have an M605 which is a opaque medium blue with silver trim and an OBB nib, that is a Double Broad Oblique nib! Just Fabulous.

The M800 is bigger still and was their flagship model. (Not yet but wanting one, maybe the red stripe.)

The M1000 was introduced a number of years back, and is their biggest pen, the flagship. I have a fine nib that is lively, and in the classic Green stripe version. Awesome pen!

My first Pelikan was also my first vintage pen, a Pelikan 140 that is from the mid 50'- early 60's. It is about the size of the M200 but round ends and has the piston filler. The nib is like a fine stub with a bit of flex and it is astonishing to write with. I got it from Rick Propas at the 2004 LA Pen Show, and Rick usually has a number of these pens.
Rick works with this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/mac/penguin0/
;)
Sincerely,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot