Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Phil, my heart goes out to you during this time. My father-in-law passed away a couple years ago and we buried some dear personal "treasures" with him.

As far as using fountain pens go, I have to agree with Scotrace about the Esterbrooks. Amoung the fountain pens I own, I have a couple vintage Parker Vacumatics (one restrored which belonged to my grandfather), an Eversharp Skyline (which writes like a dream and is currently in my shirt pocket), and a handful of Esterbrooks. Though the pens I mentioned are all great writers, I find that I always carry two fountain pens with me. One is a "nice" pen and the other an Esterbrook. "Esties" were great workhorse pens used by the common folk, but in retrospect, they were, and still are, great writers. And since you can find old ones pretty cheap, they're easy to collect. They're also easy and cheap to get repaired if you should ever need it. I would highly recommend finding an old Esterbrook.

I've seen the Waterman Phileas, but for some reason, I'm not attracted to it. It doesn't feel right in my hand and I haven't been able to find a fine nib. Though many people love theirs, it's just don't think it's the pen for me. A Pelikan, however, would be a good pen if you have the money for it. The new and vintage Pelikans I've tried have all written beautifully. A Pelikan is on my pen wish list. As for Mont Blanc, I know several "big time" pen collectors who are not impressed with modern Mont Blanc pens. They've told me enough about problems they've had with them (especially with how much you pay for one) that I'm not interested in owning one myself. The older Mont Blancs, to my understanding, are great pens, though. But again, if you're just starting out and want something vintage and reliable, it's hard to go wrong with an Esterbrook.

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
I came across this site oneday, that feature images of old pens as decoration and has info on them in a roll over. The site has nothing to do with pens mind you, but the owner collects them. if you reload the page a different pen & info shows up. I had no idea there were so many types.

http://www.bestpr.net/

Mike K.

One Too Many
I've been recently searching for a nice fountain pen also. Being a biologist & professor, I wanted to go with something elegant but also something that bespoke of the great outdoors. I found a number of websites that custom make fountain pens using various types of precious wood. Here are two examples:
www.go-authentic.com
www.woodenconcepts.com
I'm planning on placing an order for both a pen and pencil, probably in kingwood and/or olivewood similar to this one...
itemlimg77.jpg

Repro Guy

New in Town
Hi, just to add to what is already written, I have a mont blanc and I can highly recommend one!

I got mine as a gift, so fortunately I didnt have to fork out myself for it, but I suppose you could see it as an investment, as you will genuinely have it for life (heaven forbid you dont lose it!!!)

FedoraGent

One Too Many
I have never owned a Fountain Pen...

First, my friend...my condolences on your loss. It's hard to lose a loved one and especially one so dear. My heart goes out to you and your family. I must say, for what your grandfather said it says alot about him. He must have been an awesome gentleman. I really liked what he said and your words and his have (and I hate to sound mushy) touched me.

Now about the pen. I have never, in my life ever owned a fountain pen. Until recently, as recently as the first posting I had really forgotten about them. This thread has inspired me to look into Fountain Pens and in fact as I was walking in Embarcadero Center in SF, I just happened to stroll into Crane & Co. I really had just gone into their for a Moleskine for my close friend Devon. She was always losing notes, so I figured what the heck I'd get her one. Well coincidentally the Moleskines just happened to by the fountain pens and I was hooked. A nice saleswoman walked over and started to show me all the pens that they had. I told her that I had really liked the Watermans based upon what I had seen here on FL. I told her that I was quite keen on the Phileas, but regretfully she said that they didn't have one. Luckily one of her coworkers walked by and said "Well, that isn't entirely true. We have ONE." I had noticed how all of the fountain pens were REALLY expensive, but I asked her to get it for me. She brought out, without me prompting what color and such...the EXACT blue Phileas that I found so smart looking. The great thing was it was in a Fountain Pen Writing set with the converter, blotters, ink bottle, phileas and 5 ink cartridges. At first thought I was thinking that it would be REALLY expensive but she told me that it was at a special price because it was in a set. I had to have it, so I bought it today and it came with a little book entitled "How to write with a Fountain Pen". Perfect for a novice like me.

Thanks folks, I think you may have started a monster. If I like it too much oh gosh I might buy more.

Jon

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jon,
That is a great story and a great find. It makes me miss San Francisco.

For some reason, the Phileas is getting harder to get. I don't know if they are phasing them out, but none of the larger chains seem to be carrying them. That's a shame because it is a nice pen and a nice price. It just fits my hand well.

I would love a classic fountain pen, but I really like the cartridges. Did any classic fountain pen use these or were did they all have internal ink reservoirs?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
HJ, you really must get hold of a bottle of ink. Not that the inks are so superior (though they probably are), but the ceremony! Uncapping the wonderfully shaped bottle, drawing the ink up into the pen, tidying up - ready for another good run. Much cheaper too. A bottle of ink seems to last forever.

I urge you to do it.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Jon,
That is a great story and a great find. It makes me miss San Francisco.

For some reason, the Phileas is getting harder to get. I don't know if they are phasing them out, but none of the larger chains seem to be carrying them. That's a shame because it is a nice pen and a nice price. It just fits my hand well.

I would love a classic fountain pen, but I really like the cartridges. Did any classic fountain pen use these or were did they all have internal ink reservoirs?

HJ,

It uses both.

Jon

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:

If you mean vintage pens, I do not beleive that any of them used a cartridge system until much much later. There were three major types of ink reservoir systems mechanically but nothing like a plastic cartridge system until about 1950, and if i am not mistaken it was the folks at schaeffer that came out with the first practical ones.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the information, everyone.

You see, I am pleased with my Phileas, though I've never used the reservoir for ink.

I used to use a quill for writing and drawing and that was interesting.

The thing that I am fearful of, and it maybe a misplaced fear, is of an old pen leaking or some other ink-related mess. I am fastidious, as many of your know, and that would drive me to distraction. This is what is keeping me away from vintage pens. Am I wrong?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Ink Cartridges

Hemingway Jones said:

You see, I am pleased with my Phileas, though I've never used the reservoir for ink.

The thing that I am fearful of, and it maybe a misplaced fear, is of an old pen leaking or some other ink-related mess. I am fastidious, as many of your know, and that would drive me to distraction. This is what is keeping me away from vintage pens. Am I wrong?

Folks,

How much are the cartridges, are they a minimal cost and can I get them in packs? Do I have to use the ones from Waterman?

Jon

Donna Stewart

New in Town
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

How much are the cartridges, are they a minimal cost and can I get them in packs? Do I have to use the ones from Waterman?

Jon

I use a Waterman (I couldn't tell you which model though), and it's compatible with every cartridge I've come across. The Waterman cartridges are slightly longer than average, but I prefer the no-name brand ones because I can stack two inside the pen. This becomes very relevant when I inadvertently leave the pen unused for a few days and pick it up to jot something down, only to find that the entire cartridge has dried out. The no-brand cartridges cost very little, and come in packs of 12 or so.

My Waterman also came with a refillable glass cartridge, which I have yet to test out.

magneto

Practically Family
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

Jon

You can also just buy bottled ink in the colors of your wildest fancy and refill the existing disposable cartridge using a syringe (or needle from one of those inkjet printer refill kits). ...But yes, cartridges are not expensive (but not as cheap as bottled ink) :) and come in packs from your fine stationer's shop... but then you are limited to the colors available.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
magneto said:
You can also just buy bottled ink in the colors of your wildest fancy and refill the existing disposable cartridge using a syringe (or needle from one of those inkjet printer refill kits). ...But yes, cartridges are not expensive (but not as cheap as bottled ink) :) and come in packs from your fine stationer's shop... but then you are limited to the colors available.

You are limited to the colours available.....but...J. Herbin makes cartridges in so many colors its not -that- limiting.

http://www.pendemonium.com/ carries them and there are no less then 25 colors....two of them are even scented! I have the rose ones and its nice. Now granted, they are a bit more costly then your typical black and blue but for some things, its worth it.

I tend to cheat and use cartridges more often then bottled ink, out of sheer laziness and storage issues.

Denise

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
You are limited to the colours available.....but...J. Herbin makes cartridges in so many colors its not -that- limiting.

http://www.pendemonium.com/ carries them and there are no less then 25 colors....two of them are even scented! I have the rose ones and its nice. Now granted, they are a bit more costly then your typical black and blue but for some things, its worth it.

I tend to cheat and use cartridges more often then bottled ink, out of sheer laziness and storage issues.

Denise

Funny thing is folks that I'll probably only use only use black or blue ink. :) So M's idea about the whole refill thing sounds good.

Jon

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:

A good excuse for using a pocket protector. :)
I have seen several pens at my local antique and collectables suppliers, but was hesitant to buy any until I read this thread. Esterbrook is a brand I see a lot of, so maybe I'll pick one up now that I know they are usable. I also see a lot of Schaefers. Are they as good as any other brand?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Montblanc makes an ink called Holiday or something like that to use for your holiday cards - it smells like fresh-baked cookies.

Something else I found this weekend...if you like using sealing wax on your letters & cards for that extra touch, you can now get sealing wax in cylinders that fit in a hot glue gun. For me at least - that's going to save a couple hours melting wax for the Halloween party invitations using the old fashioned sticks with a wick in them. They came from a place called Nostalgic Impressions. When I saw them, I thought what a brilliant idea and why hadn't anyone thought of it sooner.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike K. said:
I've been recently searching for a nice fountain pen also. Being a biologist & professor, I wanted to go with something elegant but also something that bespoke of the great outdoors. I found a number of websites that custom make fountain pens using various types of precious wood. Here are two examples:
www.go-authentic.com
www.woodenconcepts.com
I'm planning on placing an order for both a pen and pencil, probably in kingwood and/or olivewood similar to this one...
itemlimg77.jpg
If you are looking for a nice wooden fountain or ball point pen, my Uncle Eliot owns a pen making shop. I have used several of his ball points, never a fountain, but I must say they are incredibly long lasting. Here's the site I may come across as biased, but I think he's pretty talented. He has been in business for over 30 years. They are all hand made by him and a friend. It's a small, family owned business. I saw that you were talking about looking for a wooden fountain pen, and thought this might help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner