Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
binkmeisterRick said:
Daisy, welcome to the Pen Ward! Here, you'll find all sorts of patients with the same problem as you: the love of fountain pens. It's nothing to be afraid of. Many patients still manage to lead fairly normal lives.;)

Once you get bitten by the pen bug, it's hard to stop! And it looks like you've already started progressing to nicer pens outside the beloved Phileas. I told you it wouldn't take long.:p
Just what I need, another illness! At least this one is somewhat cureable. If I get the acheing for a pen, I can just buy one! But then, my wallet might get really really sick....

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
OK, this is getting out of hand. Hem dragged me back to the Levenger store to look at pens for himself, and I ended up buying two more fountain pens.
I got the Cartier Diablo Mini in black with a fine nib
jomashop_1913_22970289

And, after writing with Hem's Waterman Charleston with the fine nib, I just fell in love with it and couldn't pass up purchasing one on sale. I really wanted it in the cream color, but they were all sold out, so I settled for Royal Blue. I really didn't think I'd like writing with such a big instrument, however, it is lighter than the smaller Parker Sonnet. I'm not sure what the Sonnet is made of, but it feels like metal, instead of the plastic of the Waterman.
I still enjoy the Sonnet a lot, but the Charleston has a much finer line, even though the Sonnet is a fine point. They are both rather smooth, although not as smooth as the Cartier Diablo fine nip. The only negative about the Cartier is, since it is a smaller pen, it is not long enough for a converter. So, I don't have that romance of filling it from an ink well. But, I now have so many pens, that one without well ink isn't too big a deal for me. I had to order the Cartier, for they didn't have a fine nib in stock. I am anxiously waiting it's arrival. I did write with the Cartier Diablo in fine point, and have been told that the mini has the same nib, and will write just as nicely. I am hoping this is true, for the Diablo that Hem purchased writes like a dream.

I did look at the Mont Blanc Greta Garbo. It is nice looking, and will be a collectors item. However, I didn't like the way it wrote and they no longer had any fine points left. It was very thick and smudgy, not impressed at all. I also tried another, for which I can't remember the name, by Mont Blanc. It was definitely a great looking pen, small and compact with a simulated ruby. It had a retractable nib. So, when the cap is on the back end of the pen you would twist it counter-clockwise, and the nip retracted back into the pen. This helped with it's very compact size. It was only about 4 inches long when closed with the cap on. But, this one, as well as the others could not be found in a fine point, and the medium was very thick. Overall, I think the Mont Blancs are beautiful to look at, they are like pieces of art. But, I wasn't impressed by the quality of writing. The medium nibs I used wrote like bold, so even if they could have found a fine nib, it might have written like a medium, and I just prefer a fine line. With the nib that was on the three I tried, I had to increase the size of my script, anything written on the small side was illegible. So, and this is just my opinion, I wasn't overly impressed by the Mont Blanc. Maybe if I was able to try one in a fine nib, I would have liked it more. But, the medium nib was very very thick, so I'm assuming the fine would not be as fine as I like it to be.

I'm really looking forward to getting the Cartier and breaking it in. It's as pretty as the Mont Blanc's, but I was just happier with the fineness of the nib. And, there is no scratch, which is hard to acheive even in the finest of pens when using a fine nib.

Well, as you can tell, I have got the bug bad. I'm having way too much fun picking out pens and playing with different ink colors. I really like Waterman Blue. I thought I'd like the blue-black, but the Waterman blue is so bright, it just pops. The blue-black is a bit too dull. OK, enough from me! Thanks to all you guys for giving me such great fountain pen information. I may be purchasing too many, but at least I feel like an informed consumer. Oh, and also, I was once again impressed by the sales girl at Levenger. She was very knowledgeable and helpful. Yesterday, I had a terrible experience at a pen shop. Hem and I were going to spend nearly 1,000 dollars in the store too, but the sales girl lost the sale because she had a major attitude problem. I left Levenger a much happier customer, and we ended up buying three pens, instead of the two we were planning on buying at the other store. It definitely helps to have a great person helping you out, especially when they understand your needs, and realize that you are purchasing something that you plan on passing down to your grandchildren. I will never go to the other pen shoppe again, even if they did have a great selection........

Daisy,

You're KILLIN' me! You keep on coming up with these wonderful pens and I keep on trying them and liking them! Between my vintage tie, vintage hat, vintage watch and fountain pen adoration...when am I going to find ample time to buy things like food? Jeesh. Keep it up Daisy, you're the tops.

By the by, I was in Houston and my cartridged Sheaffer LEAKED all over my hand during a meeting with Chevron. Fun, oh fun. 50 dollar pen, and it leaked. I don't get it, because my young lady has nothing but good luck with Sheaffer and I don't. It must be that magic of hers or something. I'm also excited because I just won another vintage Women's Bulova watch on eBay...
for the young lady of course.

FG.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hemingway Jones and I a few years ago discovered the Waterman Phileas fountain pen.
It writes beautifully, has a choice of fine or medium point, a lovely gold and silver color nib, and comes in a variety of colors. We got the fine point, and are quite happy with it. Don't think I would want anything thicker. To top it all off, they are very reasonably priced. The most expensive I've seen it is $50. They usually can be found for between $32-$39. For Wateman quality, and it is quality, that is a superb price. I have the roller ball too, it's quite nice, but I like so much about the fountain pen. It has a sort of romance to it, it is elegant.
We both bought ours at Staples, but I just checked out their web site and they only had the roller ball version. So, I would suggest doing a search under "Waterman Phileas". Could not find it on Amazon anymore either. But did find a few pen shops offering it.
Here's the link to Waterman's description of it, and a picture. They do make it in a variety of colors; marbled green, red, blue and a classic flat black as well. This is how they describe them "Waterman Phileas Collection: PHILEAS takes its inspiration directly from the Art Deco period, with its oblong shape, cigar band ring, its 23 carat gold electroplated, engraved nib and stylish clip. A journey in time through the world's most beautiful colors. Phileas is available in fountain pen, rollerball, ballpen and select 0.5 pencil. All Waterman pens have a worldwide lifetime warranty."

http://www.waterman.com/sanford/consumer/waterman/collection/collectionDetail.jhtml?
Here's a link to a few nice pen shoppes that have them in stock
http://www.dalyspenshop.com/store2005/product.asp

http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_waterman.htm
attributeId=WATERATT1000012&currentType=WATATT10001

Daisy I picked one of these up a while back and its a great pen. Think I paid $35 or somewhere within a buck of that. Writes really nice.

lagunie

New in Town
newbie thanks board

Thank you guys for all the above on fountain pens. Went to ebay and bought a Sheaffer Fountain Pen -green body, chrome cap - c 1950's. If anyone has any time and could explain to me the difference between a piston and converter I'd be grateful. How does a converter work? I have an old Wearever with the piston so I know how that functions. Anyway, thanks for the input on all the models. Maybe a Mont Blanc next.

Pen Colletors Event 10/7/06 Monrovia in So. Cal.

Hi All!

Over in the Events section I just posted info on the Southern California Pen Collectors Club next meeting Saturday 10/7/06.

If you are in the area or planning to be here, come and join us. See the info over in the events section.
;) Don't forget the SCPCC as seen on Huell Howser's Visiting!

Sincerely,

Daisy Buchanan

FedoraGent said:
Daisy,

You're KILLIN' me! You keep on coming up with these wonderful pens and I keep on trying them and liking them! Between my vintage tie, vintage hat, vintage watch and fountain pen adoration...when am I going to find ample time to buy things like food? Jeesh. Keep it up Daisy, you're the tops.

By the by, I was in Houston and my cartridged Sheaffer LEAKED all over my hand during a meeting with Chevron. Fun, oh fun. 50 dollar pen, and it leaked. I don't get it, because my young lady has nothing but good luck with Sheaffer and I don't. It must be that magic of hers or something. I'm also excited because I just won another vintage Women's Bulova watch on eBay...
for the young lady of course.

FG.
I'm so sorry FedoraGent. I did get the Cartier on sale, so I knew I'd never be able to find one at that price ever again, I had to buy it. This is a smaller fountain pen, really made for a ladies hand. So, there's your excuse not to buy one!! It is a really horrible addiction!! I think I'm done for a while, at least I hope. I really don't need any more fountain pens. They are great for writing checks, but I'm afraid that my pen won't be used for doing that for a while :) I have noticed that I'm writing a lot more in my journal, just so I can practice my penmanship. I've been using the Waterman Charleston for that, since I actually don't have the Cartier in hand yet :( I'm so sorry your pen leaked all over you, and during a meeting too. Doesn't it seem like these things always happen during important moments.....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
They are great for writing checks, but I'm afraid that my pen won't be used for doing that for a while :)

I hope you are using the right ink for check writing, as most fountain pen ink is water soluble and your check can just be put under water and it vanishes.

Noodlers has ink that reacts with the celluose in the paper and is thus permanent.

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Neecerie said:
I hope you are using the right ink for check writing, as most fountain pen ink is water soluble and your check can just be put under water and it vanishes.

Noodlers has ink that reacts with the celluose in the paper and is thus permanent.
OOHH. That is great information to know! I am using water soluble, and will definitely buy some Noodlers, for when I can afford to write a cheque again:)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You still write Checks, Daisy? I have got to get you set up with Internet banking! I haven't written a check since... wait a minute. :eusa_doh: ;) :)

BTW, Everyone, if you are remotely interested in a pen: Get Thee To Levenger! As Daisy said, they are blowing everything out of the store at 60% off. Now is the time to reach for those pens that were just above your price range, but don't reach too far!

ETERNAL Line Of INKS From NOODLER"S

It is only the ETERNAL line of inks by Noodler's that is permanent.

Look up Swisher pens on line they usually carry them.

Also piston fillers are suggested to use Noodler's Eel line f inks which lubricate the piston.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
John in Covina said:

Silly question, but I suppose with a name like "ERTERNAL," if you get that stuff on your clothes, it's all over, right?

Hemingway Jones said:
Silly question, but I suppose with a name like "ERTERNAL," if you get that stuff on your clothes, it's all over, right?
All I can say is this, paper whether wood pulp or pure cotten / linen so far has NOT been washed clean by any solution so far. THere is a $5K challenge up for grabs if some one can wash it out. Perfect for checks and signatures on documents. Bad for clothes, especially if it dries. While wet you may be able to get it out.

John

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
John in Covina said:

Also piston fillers are suggested to use Noodler's Eel line f inks which lubricate the piston.

John, I've read you making this point several times. My Noodler's bottle (black) doesn't have the word "eternal" on it anywhere. Yet, I can write on any piece of paper and soak it in water with no effect.

Noodler's black *is* the permanent ink in their line, yes?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones said:

You mean this nice white french cuff shirt that now lives in my shoe polishing kit? :)

scotrace said:
John, I've read you making this point several times. My Noodler's bottle (black) doesn't have the word "eternal" on it anywehre. Yet, I can write on any piece of paper and soak it in water with no effect.

Noodler's black *is* the permanent ink in their line, yes?

Sorry, the answer is: No, not so.
Although it won't wash away with water or soap or detergent, it still can be chemically washed away, whereas, the inks noted as Eternal cannot be removed without destroying the paper.

For truly Permanent, it must be the Eternal line.

Accept no substitutes.

John

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones said:
Does this mean that the ink would last longer, in a journal, for instance?

Until the seventh seal is broken. And archeologists would find it in the remains of your rooftop 3,000 years from now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot