Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

kiltedjeeper

New in Town
I'm having a spot of trouble with my Phileas and Kultur-

They work great- GREAT - with the cartridges, filled with Noodler's inks. But the Waterman converters leak to high heaven. I literally just filled it earlier, came back 30 minutes later to find that all of m ink was outside the converter, inside my pen barrel.

I prefer the converter-- but would like one that works properly. I'm not having this problem with my Lamy Vista, which of course uses a different, incompatible, converter.

Anyone have tips?

kiltedjeeper said:
I'm having a spot of trouble with my Phileas and Kultur-
They work great- GREAT - with the cartridges, filled with Noodler's inks. But the Waterman converters leak to high heaven. I literally just filled it earlier, came back 30 minutes later to find that all of m ink was outside the converter, inside my pen barrel. I prefer the converter-- but would like one that works properly. Anyone have tips?

Double check witht he pen shop that the converter is the correct one, if it is try a new converter. If that doesn't do it, you may need to seed to Waterman's repair facility. especially if the section of the feed that the converter (and the cartridge) fits onto may be damaged. If the converter itself is damaged a replacement should be the fix. If the converter is damaged maybe you can send it back to Waterman for a replacement.

kiltedjeeper

New in Town
it all came together in one box, brand new from Waterman 2 weeks ago. It's the fountain pen writing kit they sell.

It's leaking out the back of the converter, all else is fine.

kiltedjeeper

New in Town
well, ya think?

See-- I just did that-- 2, maybe 3 weeks ago. It came with the pen. It's ALREADY leaking. This does not fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling about my chances with the next Waterman converter.

Love the pens, but the converters, not so much.

Thus my question if there are other brands' converters that will work. Wish the Lamy converter would-- it's taken lots of abuse, with not a drop leaked.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Take the pen and converter and receipt back to the store and have them diagnose the problem, be it the converter or the pen itself. Something's definitely not right. It could be that the converter wasn't inserted all the way into socket for it in the pen or maybe there's a crack or hole in the converter, causing it to leak. Maybe there's bad gasket in the converter or the pen. They'll probably give you a brand new set to try.

kiltedjeeper said:
well, ya think? See-- I just did that-- 2, maybe 3 weeks ago. It came with the pen. It's ALREADY leaking. This does not fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling about my chances with the next Waterman converter.

I have had my Phileas with converter for a couple of years and no leaks. I don't recall hearing much of leaking converters of any brand lately. I'll ask about it on the SCPCC website.

If you replaced the converter once already and it is doing the same thing, then the converters are probably from the same manufacturing lot. Best bet is to go outside of that supply and get something older or newer manufacture. In the mean time, I have hade friends use a syringe to fill a cartridge with their favorite ink.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I got a Phileas for Christmas and I really like it so far. It's blac, but I think I'll go out and get the red one. Thanks for the recommendations!

kiltedjeeper

New in Town
John-
yes, that's what I was doing before I started using the converters. I think I'll go back to it, actually. The Kultur (think: Phileas Demonstrator) looks more striking with the barrel showing a tube of ink full along it's length instead of only half converter and half mechanism.

Same with the Lamy Vista, come to think-- though I've had no problems with the converter in it.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
GregNYC said:
I got a Phileas for Christmas and I really like it so far. It's blac, but I think I'll go out and get the red one. Thanks for the recommendations!

Got one, too! Also black. My converter is working perfectly so far, no leaks or anything. I'd say the leaking converter is broken, and should go back to the store.

Now, I find myself disgusted with the atrocity that my handwriting has become over the years :) so I can tell I'm going to have to work hard on getting my penmanship back to a decent level! Of course, the fact that nearly everything I write is done on a computer doesn't help, but I figure I'll just practice a little every night on my handwriting. I feel like I'm back in grammar school ha ha!

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Maybe it's just me and my bias, but I have a Laban pen with a converter. It's a pretty pen with a nice nib, but the ink doesn't flow as well for me using a converter for some reason, and yes, I've filled it correctly.;) I still prefer vintage (or newer) pens with built-in filling mechanisms.

moustache

Practically Family
binkmeisterRick said:
Maybe it's just me and my bias, but I have a Labon pen with a converter. It's a pretty pen with a nice nib, but the ink doesn't flow as well for me using a converter for some reason, and yes, I've filled it correctly.;) I still prefer vintage (or newer) pens with built-in filling mechanisms.

I had the same problems with Laban.Sent it back and they exchanged the nib.Still did it.Finally sold it.Beautiful pen but with such issues,worthless to me.At least it sounds like yours works with a cartridge though???

JD

Balky pens I

moustache said:
I had the same problems with Laban.Sent it back and they exchanged the nib.Still did it.Finally sold it.Beautiful pen but with such issues,worthless to me.At least it sounds like yours works with a cartridge though??? JD

BALKY FOUNTAIN PENS? FORMULA 409 TRICK!

Have you ever had a new fountain pen that just won't write well? You’ve filled it with your favorite ink and it skips or won't write at all. Well friend, the culprit may be releasing agents, grease or oils left over from manufacturing that is interfering with the delivery of ink.

Stylofiles magazine gave this pointer, but use caution, you may damage a pen if the chemicals attack a part, no long term soaking! Bare aluminum is most susceptible to chemical damage of the metals but even steel will corrode if left soaking in chemically laden water. Celluloid is fairly strong but damage is possible if left in soaking too long. Casein should neither be soaked nor have any chemicals applied to it, it’s very susceptible to damage. The caveat: Do NOT DAMAGE YOUR PENS! We are not responsible for any damages to pens!

VERSION ONE
Take regular Formula 409 and a small glass like a cordial or shot glass. Spray some 409 in the glass and mix with 3 to 4 parts of COLD water. Dip the nib and feed in the mixture then fill and flush the converter or filling system with the mixture for 1 or 2 minutes. Then replace the mixture with plain COLD water and flush for a minute replace water and flush repeat replacing and flushing again and again for a couple more minutes so no trace of the Formula 409 remains. Then fill with new, clean ink. The writing should be much improved if the oil or grease was the culprit. Be sure to empty the pen of all ink first then flush with plain water before using the cleaning mixture. Always use COLD water as warm or hot can damage the feed!

VERSION TWO
This is supposed to work on both new and older pens that are
presenting a skipping on no flow challenge. Stylus Magazine and some pen aficionados contend that both Formula 409 and Simple Green are too harsh to use on pens. Their alternate flusher and cleaner is a solution you can easily mix up. Mix 1 Tablespoon of Clear Household Ammonia to 2/3rds cup of Cold Water. Flush with this mixture and then flush thoroughly with PLAIN cold water to remove any residue as listed above for version one.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
moustache said:
I had the same problems with Laban.Sent it back and they exchanged the nib.Still did it.Finally sold it.Beautiful pen but with such issues,worthless to me.At least it sounds like yours works with a cartridge though???

JD

I don't know, I seldom use cartridges as I never have one around when I need one. I would only assume so, but I don't see myself rushing out to get a cartridge when I have perfectly good vintage pens and bottles of ink already at my disposal. Yes, the Laban is a pretty pen (and I got it for only $30 on sale, which is why I got it) but I haven't been happy with its performance. Honestly, it just sit's unused and will likely remain so. In fact, I could get a vintage Esterbrook for that which I know will work flawlessly.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
John, I have tried cleaning the pen with the 409 trick previously, even though I got the pen new. But I've had better luck using the same cleaning method on vintage pens crusted with ink. Maybe this pen just doesn't like me?

Balky Pens II

The nib and feed must work together to provide a good flow. The adjustment of the nib in relationship to the feed will allow from a dry line to a very wet line if the feed is working properly. I have had several pens where it needed the nib/feed adjusted for flow. My Stipula Ventidue (22) and my Visconti Van Gogh were dry line pens. Tool the to Fred at the FPS in Monrovia. The Visconti was improved with an adjustment, the Stipula we replaced the feed with an early feed made of hard rubber. The same nib adjustment I ahve had done with vintage pens as I like a wetter line.

Sincerely,

moustache

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
The nib and feed must work together to provide a good flow. The adjustment of the nib in relationship to the feed will allow from a dry line to a very wet line if the feed is working properly. I have had several pens where it needed the nib/feed adjusted for flow. My Stipula Ventidue (22) and my Visconti Van Gogh were dry line pens. Tool the to Fred at the FPS in Monrovia. The Visconti was improved with an adjustment, the Stipula we replaced the feed with an early feed made of hard rubber. The same nib adjustment I ahve had done with vintage pens as I like a wetter line.

Sincerely,

I have been aware of the 409 claening methods for years.The fortunate part is that i have had few issues with pens as a whole.The Laban went through all said cleanings and what have you.Nothing worked.Thats ehen i sent it back to the dealer.He tried.Said it worked fine.So i ran 10 diferent inks through it from Noodlers to PR to Shaeffer.Still skipped all the time.So i gave up.

I ADORE the Visconti Van Gogh.I have three and they are my favourites!!!
No problems save a scratchy nib on my blue pen.A wee bit of micro paper and voila!!Works great!!

Thanks for the info and suggestions John.

JD

Balky Pens III

Some pens also dry out quickly and for me here in Southern California the Desert air means low-low humidity. I often have to dip my pens into a jar of water to rehydrate the nib to get the ink flowing again.

Also some inks are better flowing than others, for dry line problems Private Reserve Tanzanite ( A purple color) is regarded as one of the most "lubricating" free flowing inks going and is recomended as a dry line fix if you can't get the nib feed adjusted.

I gave the guys at Laban an article on nib adjustment recently but it is a matter of finesse that they haven't mastered yet. FYI, they get their nibs from Bock in Heidelberg who supplies Bexley and about 22 different pen companies with nibs, so I am quite sure those are good. Again I think its a feed nib relationship thing which usually takes the hands of a "master" nib guy to get right.

Balky Nibs IV

Some papers are not good for use with a fountain pen. These are papers that are coated chemically and can cause skipping. They may clog the nib and the nib will need cleaning. Recycled paper can have these chemicals as part of their original content and are not advised. Rough papers may catch the nib of a fine point or italic and can cause feathering of the ink when writing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy