Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

Spats McGee

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Waterman cartridges are propriatry in shape and size.

Really? I didn't recall that. Perhaps it's been a while since I used cartridges in my Waterman pens. . . .

In that case, please disregard this part:

Aabraxan said:
In the past, I have used standard cartridges in my Phileas without problem.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I'm Inspired...

...to get my Pelikan fixed. I bobbled it in the parking lot a few months ago and it snapped right behind the grip. I should at least see how much it would cost.

After I broke it, I defaulted to my Aurora. I have a real preference for bottled ink. I have a Stipula Netto ink filling system -- very cool.

To all the concerns with the trouble of fountain pens, I've written with them for over 20 years and never had a bad experience. Understand that I write a lot. Once you get used to a good fountain pen, writing with anything else feels like you are writing with a brick.

Cartridges

The one that is most usual is called the International short used most notably by Montblanc but the Lamy's and Pelikan cartride type use those too. It maybe that with the correct alignment other cartridges could be used in Waterman, but if it is at all posible to get a converter then the world of bottled inks opens up to you.

Just remember NEVER use India or drawing inks in your fountain pen as they have drying agents that can (and will) clog the feed permanently.

panamag8or

Practically Family
panamag8or said:
I don't think anyone will ever be able to convince me that a new pen is better than my old Parker 51, or my old Sheaffer.

Yes, I know I'm quoting myself, but I have to say I broke down and bought a Phileas in black, and it is acceptable.

I also bought an Aldo Domani Sorrento, because it was cheap for a nice-looking metal pen. It writes great, but it is made for a smaller hand... it would be a great pen for the ladies.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I bought the Phileas and I think it's quite nice but it's a medium nib. In pursuit of the finer nib, I bought a Carbon Black Meridian Sensa. I think it's also a nice pen. It has an unusual soft rubber grip section in the barrel. Very comfortable to write with.

The Phileas has gold-tone appointments and while the Sensa is chrome, therefore, I tend to carry the Sensa after 6:00.

Mark

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
panamag8or said:
Yes, I know I'm quoting myself, but I have to say I broke down and bought a Phileas in black, and it is acceptable.

It is a nice pen, I have two, green and black, my notes have never looked better:)

kenji

New in Town
first post

I've been lurking for a few weeks, trying to learn about hats. Now that I've ordered my first fedora (an Akubra Squatter, shipped today!), I thought I'd better join in.

I've been collecting fountain pens for awhile, and they were what originally drew me into the 30's, 40's style. The large majority of my pens are vintage, for the following reasons:
1. They were all made as working tools, whereas too many (not all) modern pens are primarily jewelry. The nibs tend to be more flexible and expressive.
2. The materials are generally superior. For example, today's micro-thin gold electroplating can't compare to the gold filling of the 40's. The vintage polymers have a look that you no longer see.
3. They are bargains compared to most modern pens.
4. I like using a tool that's as old as my parents and still works.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of the Parker 51. It is my daily pen and is considered by many enthusiasts to be the best pen ever made. The style is sleek and understated. Most of them write extremely well, and because of the hooded nib, can be left uncapped for awhile while you think or otherwise pause. (the one negative is the nibs are rather hard).
They are bullet-proof. The sacs on the aeromatics are made of a tough material that almost never leaks. The nibs are iridium tipped, which makes them smooth and durable. Other inexpensive vintage favorites include the Parker vacuumatics (cool mechanism, expensive to fix) and the Eversharp Skyliner (very Art Deco design. not to everyone's fancy).

As for modern pens, my favorites are the Pelikans and Lamys. I love the mechanical nature of a piston-filling pen, and there's less to worry about leaks than with a cartridge converter. Both are true writing instruments, as opposed to jewelry. My single favorite is the Lamy 2000, with its cool, purely functional styling, plain materials, and silky smooth nib.

I'm not particularly fond of modern Montblancs for the same reason I don't like Rolexes. Nothing wrong with either of them, but it's just personal preference. The worksmanship on a modern Montblanc is nothing to write home about, and the fact that everyone who wants to be conspicuously flashy uses one kind of ruins it for me. I prefer the more private pleasure of a plain vintage pen or IWC watch. People who don't know pens or watches will just look right through them. People who know them or just have an eye for well-designed tools form an instant bond. No one mistakes me for a used car salesman. Again, not to bash. If someone gave me a Montblanc or Rolex, I'd be thrilled. lol

I highly recommend pen shows, especially for lefty's like me. Fountain pens are very personal, and I don't like to buy unless I can try first. Prices are generally very reasonable.

Thanks everyone for all of the great information and wonderful community.

Edward

Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
phileas19702nq1.jpg

Thanks for pointing these out.... I love a decent chunky fountain pen. I have a few, but a bunch of these would be very welcome (they're the right price for a coordinating one for each suit, and maybe a couple of spares... ;) ). I have a couple of Mont Blanc counterfeits that I picked up dirt cheap in Beijing, too.... lovely things to write with, though i don't know how many years they'll last. Great heft to them, though - nice and chunky, like a good cigar, and weighty too. :)

Alas, nowadays I write so little by hand I most often lift some crappy biro, but for anything decent I prefer a fountain. I was about the last generation I think back in the old country who learned to write with pen and ink using a fountain pen (about 1983/84). Later moved on to fibretip, biros, roller balls..... went back to a fountain voluntarily at the age of 14. Nothing quite like it. Always try to write with a fountain pen by preference - and always blue ink where at all possible. Someho my handwriting has always looked better in blue.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Polyhistor said:
I second the Phileas!
I myself don´t have one, but everyone who does seems to be very happy with it.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I would suggest you also take a look at Pelikan pens, especially the M200. I too was looking for some pen that would last me for years and couldn´t afford one of the more upscale models, so I opted for the 200 and I´m still happy with it (in fact, I bought a second one this summer, one´s now filled with Waterman Havana Brown and one with their Blue-Black).
The Pelikan is a piston filler, though, so if you´d like to use cartridges, the Phileas would probably be your best bet.

I guess I'm the odd man out on the Phileas. Don't like mine. I do love the whole Pelikan line and have a Parker Duofold I've used for 20 years.

Hooded Nibs

I have several Parker 51's in my collection but I am not partial to the hooded nib as much. With the need for reading glasses and how little of the nib is exposed I have a tendency to turn the pen off to the left or right and lose the sweet spot on the nib.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I found these at the local art store (Mish-Mish) the other day, and picked one up. About $18 after tax. It writes pretty well, although I think I should have gotten the fine instead of the extra-fine. The EF writes a little scratchy, and not as wet as I like.

It seems like a very good pen for the price, though. It includes a converter, 3 cartridges, and a suede "wrap". I'll probably get another one in "fine" next payday.

-Jake

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
help for lefty

Okay folks, I'm looking for a push in the right direction.

I have not had the time to read the post start to finish yet, so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.

I write left. I have always wanted to try a fountain pen and love the thought of using one but I have been afraid because it just seems the ink would smear all over the place. I don't know how it can work writing as a lefty.

Are there pens specifically for this or is there something I'm missing that would allow me to use one of these fine pens?

Lefty, Eh?

RJCNTX said:
I write left. I have always wanted to try a fountain pen and love the thought of using one but I have been afraid because it just seems the ink would smear all over the place. I don't know how it can work writing as a lefty. Are there pens specifically for this or is there something I'm missing that would allow me to use one of these fine pens?
I did not pay attention that much the last time there was a dicussion about writing lefty with fountain pens, but I seem to recall that if you drag your hand over the page and it smears there are only a few ways to alleviate that.
One - lift your hand so it is not on the paper
Two - adjust the pen for a dryer line &/ or a finer point to put down less ink
Three - go for the fastest drying ink you can find
Four - use paper that absorbs the ink quickly
Five - learn to write righty

The thing is not many people can tell you what is the fastest drying ink, although a long time ago the Parker 51 had some special 51 ink that was supposed to be fast drying.

I can't think of the fountain pen web board but if you can find it I am sure this has been addressed previously. Miss Neecerie knows the name of the board.

D

DeaconKC

Cross your fingers for me, I just bid on an old Schaeffer fountain pen/pencil set on fleabay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner