Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for someone relatively new to the suit world

insomniac

New in Town
For years I had one suit; a charcoal one from Jos A. Bank that was used for special occasions only. It's now close to 20 years old (more of a statement of how often I wore it vs. the quality of the suit.)

I now want to get suits that - to be honest - match my hats. Specifically two Akubra fedora, one in Regency Fawn and the other in Charcoal. (Maybe eventually the Fawn Capricorn but let's not worry about that right now, not sure I am a 'summer suit' kind of guy.) I'm thinking something that reflects styling in the '40s, perhaps early '50s.

My question is - where do I start? I know there are vintage clothing stores but wouldn't know where to look. Seattle isn't exactly a hotbed of custom tailoring. If I decided to go with one of the overseas tailors, not sure who could pull this off, and how I'd get them to match the hat :rolleyes:

Any suggestions and advice, or links to previous threads where others have asked this very same question?

Thanks!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Late-40's, early 50's American suits can be found relatively plentiful on ebay.com at quite affordable prices (as opposed to pre-war or wartime or later 50's stuff). The time period you mentioned witnessed in the US the "Bold Look", which sported huge lapels, a low button stance and strong shoulders.
Bold Look would be a search-term, others frequently used by sellers would be "Rockabilly" or "Mad Men" (though this has nothing to do with the stuff your going for ;)). Most likely you'll find something in the "Vintage - Post-war - suits" category of ebay. I'm sure you will find something your size and in the colors to match your hats (I'd go with a blue and a light-brown suit).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
As Fastuni says, Ebay is a good starting point.

However, it is worth looking through the Classifieds on the Fedora Lounge. There are frequently suits for sale, often at good prices. The 'Suit Trading' thread (that was started by 'Red Leader') might have suitable something on it. Or put a 'Want to buy' ad in the classifieds, to see if anyone has the right suit for you.

I would also recommend replying to this thread with your measurements, in case someone on the FL realises they have the suit you are looking for.

Good luck.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The advantage of the FL classfieds over Ebay is that there is some control. If someone on the FL wants to sell an 80s suit as 40s he will get response. And lose his street cred. Yo.:cool:

Ok, but you never bought a suit. So the real start is to get your measurements right. There are several you need to know.
First you have to realise the difference between body measurements and size of the suit. Imagine it doesn't fit like a rubber shirt but needs some inch in of ease. 40s and early 50s suits are rather roomy.

Measure your chest at the widest point, your waist, your sleeve lenght (there are two methods: shoulderseam to cuff, or mid collar to shoulder to cuff), your inseam on the trousers, and the lenght of a jacket ...
Write them down and save this file on your computer.

Now go to the Sticky and browse the threads to get an impression of 40s and early 50s suits with wide lapels, broad shouders, high waisted trousers and stuff.

Now you are ready for ebay and etsy. Have fun and relax. It's not possible to find the perfect suit in a few hours. Just wait and save some suits to your watch list. You can start with a sport coat too if you feel you don't want to spend to much money for the first purchase.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Seattle has a small handful of vintage clothing shops, go and go often to get a sense of the feel, look, and weight of the types of suits you are looking for. Nothing beats first hand 'on-the-job' training when it comes to style!

Feraud

Bartender
I now want to get suits that - to be honest - match my hats.
Never match...compliment your hats.

You may find a local tailor that can provide you with proper measurements to know your size. I agree with resortes, nothing beats hands on browsing! Definitely visit local vintage/thrift shops and get a real feel for the material.

insomniac

New in Town
Late-40's, early 50's American suits can be found relatively plentiful on ebay.com at quite affordable prices (as opposed to pre-war or wartime or later 50's stuff). The time period you mentioned witnessed in the US the "Bold Look", which sported huge lapels, a low button stance and strong shoulders.
Bold Look would be a search-term, others frequently used by sellers would be "Rockabilly" or "Mad Men" (though this has nothing to do with the stuff your going for ;)). Most likely you'll find something in the "Vintage - Post-war - suits" category of ebay. I'm sure you will find something your size and in the colors to match your hats (I'd go with a blue and a light-brown suit).

Hmm... while I've seen pictures of these suits of course, now I'm wondering how they would look. While I do look good in a fedora (or so the ladies have told me), I'm not sure a huge lapel would work for me. I like my fedoras because (IMHO) there is a timeless quality to them, and while I like the large brim on the Akubras, a lapel like that may not work for me. Of course I'd visit a vintage store to test this and bring along a friend to vet it.

If I wanted something a bit more "timeless", what era would you consider if I went vintage?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Look at the late fifties, early sixties: men were still smart but the suits were not as extreme. So lapels and trousers were narrower, waists were lower etc. The average suit from that period is more sedate than the earlier period.

But it will also depend on your body shape. If you have a wide chest, wider lapels should still look good, whilst narrow lapels run the risk of disappearing. The best bet is to go into a vintage shop and try something on. You will soon know what style you feel most comfortable in.

Or try looking through a book of photographs - such as one of the large collections of photos from Life magazine. That will give you an idea of prevailing fashions. Then try to imagine how that look would suit you.

Good luck.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, the late 50s, early 60s look more modern. I wouldn't say this is the same as timeless but I imagine it would be fitting for you?[huh]
Do you have a picture and maybe the size that is on your Jos A Banks suit? You can take some of your measurements yourself or ask a friend or wife?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot