Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help from Loungers in San Francisco/ Bay area

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Thanks Fleagirl. You saved me the time.

I love Oakland. If I moved back up to the bay, Oakland would be my headquarters. It is a very diverse, interesting and surprisingly quaint place to live. Like Fleagirl said, the crime is pretty localized. Oakland is no more dangerous than any other big city. Its ghettos are just rougher.

I second Rockridge.

That being said, starting salary for Oakland PD is 60K. Any takers?

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Well, we’ve started our serious search for an apartment, and boy is it tough. Not many places accept dogs.

Can anyone comment on the area around 3116 Adeline St. #111, Oakland, CA 94608? It’s (from what I can tell) the corner of Adeline and San Pablo Ave. just North of the 580 freeway and East of the 980.

Thanks for the help, more questions to come...
-SH-

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Serial Hero said:
Well, we’ve started our serious search for an apartment, and boy is it tough. Not many places accept dogs.

Can anyone comment on the area around 3116 Adeline St. #111, Oakland, CA 94608? It’s (from what I can tell) the corner of Adeline and San Pablo Ave. just North of the 580 freeway and East of the 980.

Thanks for the help, more questions to come...
-SH-

Are you nuts??????

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't know Oakland all that well but I can tell you that for the rent you are willing to pay, you will most likely not be in a great part of Oakland. You can do better anywhere around the mission district of S.F. The Mission Dist. also is about as pet friendly as you can get. It used to be a dubious area but they have done a great job of cleaning it up and although it still has a way to go, it is a reasonable place to live in the bay area. Housing is relatively cheap there. Don't give up. :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I spent the majority of my life in the hills of the East Bay. I've been gone for about a year now, so I wouldn't even dare guess at rental prices, but if you are looking for stable, safe environs try the smaller towns of the East Bay.

Concord, Dublin, Danville, Livermore, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Walnut Creek are all good choices and 20 minutes to an hour away from Berkeley depending on traffic. If you need schools, San Ramon has some of the best you can find. It's pricier though, as is Danville. If you crave the small town feel, look around the downtown area of Pleasanton. They have a farmer's market there every weekend year round, and various festivals on Main through the year. Concord and Livermore tend to be cheaper, but the traffic is worse too. I believe Dublin, Concord, Walnut Creek and Pleasanton all have access to BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit- in other words trains).

Dogs are not very welcome in this part of the country. :( Have you tried looking into renting condos? You are then working with an individual instead of a corporation. You might have better luck. Offering to make sure you have renter's insurance to cover liability may ease their minds too. Just a thought.

Cordially,

Joie

Bebop

Practically Family
Those are very interesting web sites, Foofoogal. Thanks.

San Francisco is one of the most dog friendly cities in the U.S. You rent from individual building owners not from corporations. That is what makes it dog friendly. That is also what makes S.F. the type of place it is. It is not owned by major corporations. Individuals own most of the buildings on any given block.

Transportation to the east bay is also quite easy from S.F.

Bebop said:
San Francisco is one of the most dog friendly cities in the U.S. You rent from individual building owners not from corporations. That is what makes it dog friendly. That is also what makes S.F. the type of place it is. It is not owned by major corporations. Individuals own most of the buildings on any given block.

Transportation to the east bay is also quite easy from S.F.

I see we have the San Francisco Tourism board president online. :p ;)
Does this guy need a business license?:
hobo.jpg

:p

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I see we have the San Francisco Tourism board president online. :p ;)
Does this guy need a business license?:
hobo.jpg

:p

That guy needs a mental hospital with a touch of boot-in-the-butt added on for good measure.
No tourism board here. Just the facts, ma'm. Just the facts. ;) It is what it is.

There are plenty of things I don't like about S.F. I frequently bore and tire my friends and family with my complaints. I have on more than one occassion been told to "Stay in Wa." (but the money is in S.F!) if I don't like the one sided, moronic, child like politics and policies. I can also be accused of being the president of the "anti tourism board". :eusa_doh: There is no winning. lol

Bebop said:
That guy needs a mental hospital with a touch of boot-in-the-butt added on for good measure.
No tourism board here. Just the facts, ma'm. Just the facts. ;) It is what it is.

There are plenty of things I don't like about S.F. I frequently bore and tire my friends and family with my complaints. I have on more than one occassion been told to "Stay in Wa." (but the money is in S.F!) if I don't like the one sided, moronic, child like politics and policies. I can also be accused of being the president of the "anti tourism board". :eusa_doh: There is no winning. lol

The money is in S.F.? That's what the guy in the picture says. ;) :p
I know what you mean about the other stuff in more ways than one. :eusa_doh:

Bebop

Practically Family
I am not a homeless guy looking to babysit so my money comes from other sources here but you are right that S.F. is where the money is to a bum. All they have to do is stick their hand out at an intersection and thousands of naive motorists will put money in it. [huh] A few years ago they did a story on a drunk that stood on Van Ness and had a sign that stated "I'm not homeless. I just want to get drunk. Please donate to the cause". He was raking in the money because people "appreciated his honesty". :eusa_doh: They may be bums, homeless or derilect but they do know where the money is. The government here being so much to the left of left makes it easier also.

:eek:fftopic:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Serial Hero said:
How is Emeryville? I’m guessing bad, due to it’s proximity to Oakland, but I thought I’d ask?

Emeryville is really tiny. I think it's about a mile in each direction. Real small town. The apartments and condo's are very yuppie. Just don't venture into Oakland or Berkeley at night. There is a new shopping center with yuppie stores and a mega screen complex. It's an ok place.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Just wanted to say thanks to every one for the help and advice. We found a nice little place in Walnut Creek. Very close to the BART and only 30 minutes from Berkley. We’re moving my wife there next week so she can start her new job. I’m staying behind until our place sells then I’ll be joining her, hopefully sooner than later.

Serial Hero said:
Just wanted to say thanks to every one for the help and advice. We found a nice little place in Walnut Creek. Very close to the BART and only 30 minutes from Berkley. We’re moving my wife there next week so she can start her new job. I’m staying behind until our place sells then I’ll be joining her, hopefully sooner than later.

Good choice there my friend. :D :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav