Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Ineed to find a hat!

riflegunbuilder

New in Town
I'm looking for a light grey or Sand colored hat. Want 2 1/4" brim, bound edge. I want C, teardrop, or diamond crease. Looking in the <$125 range. Bailey makes a ha t called "The Orson" which is exactly what I am looking for except it is wool felt. Biltmore has a hat " Royal Sonata" it seems to be only in darker colors. Need to find this hat before the end of April. Anybody got any leads?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From Miller

142.jpg

they seem to offer a variety of brim widths on this 'un... but no bound edge Style: 142 "Baldwin Hat"

And for a little more $$$ our friend Duanne @ The Fedora Store has an awesome "design your own fedora" feature wherein you can specify everything from color to brim width & binding, trim, stiffness & co.
He was offering a 20% discount f/ loungers... dunno if he is still... or you can keep you eye out f/ vintage. Depending on your size, the stingier brims can be pretty inexpensive. Good luck & keep us informed on yr. quest.

Regards,

Rick

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Consider the Akubra Stylemaster - it does have a slightly larger brim, but has a teardrop bash, bound edge, and comes in gray or tan. Akubra hats are extremely solidly made - tougher than most modern brands - and even with international shipping, the price is only in the $100 range.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?view=61&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

Besides HatsDirect, this model is available from a bunch of other Australian vendors at slightly higher/lower prices - poke around. For example (note that you can see the teardrop bash better in this picture):

http://www.yatesmenswear.com.au/onlineproducts/akubra/stylemaster.html

BigSho

Vendor
Rick I don't think Miller would be able to customize that hat to spec right now because of the state that biltmore is in. Rifle I think that you will be hard pressed to find a c-crown in stock somewhere with that small of a brim. The stetson downs is a 2 3/8 inch brim and comes in a silverbvelly like color.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Nope, the Downs doesn't have a bound edge - but the Stylemaster does (and it has a 2-1/2 brim). Cheaper, yet better made, than the Setson too. (While I don't have these particular hats, in terms of Indy-style hats, I've got an Akubra Federation and a Stetson Temple: the Akubra is the superior hat in every way, including costing less.)

Don't be put off by ordering from Australia: most folks get stuff from HatsDirect in about a week.

johnnycanuck

Ya. What doctor strange said. I don't have personal experience with the Stylemaster but the majority of my hat collection is Akubra. Well worth the cash and Hatsdirect is a joy to work with.

Johnny

riflegunbuilder

New in Town
Help

Ok, guys really leaning torwards the Stylemaster. Hats direct only seem to offer two colors. Dr. Strange suggested also,Yates mens wear. They show a color Moonstone however they list that as an "indent color" what does that mean in American?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That means it's special-order from the Akubra factory and takes up to three months. You won't have it by mid-April.

Akubra basically cycles through their many hat styles and felt colors on a three-month production schedule. So, you can essentially order almost anything and get it custom made for no extra cost - but it takes time.

I myself am waiting on a "country hat" - a Stockman - that I ordered in non-standard gray from Aussie Bush Hats and Oilskins back in January. Nine weeks so far, and they say it's probably going to arrive there next week... It's great to know your hat is being custom made, but the waiting is brutal!

johnnycanuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner