Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP: Limp brim on Milan straw

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I wet down my Stetson Milan straw to reshape the crown and get some creases out of the brim. Now it's no longer al dente - just a wet noodle.

Before - waaay before
707039830_81a631b062.jpg

After
707039846_5db3eb3930.jpg

I've got the flange and an iron, but what sort of stiffening agent do I use to get it back to a crisp snap? Spray starch any good? Or do I need a specialized product?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't see any problem with the way it looks now;)

Haven't people used hairspray with good results?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I keep coming back to this and trying to think of advice!

Try ironing it out with steam first I think. Maybe it wouldn't need any goop.

Poor chap. What a sorry outcome!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
I have no advice...
But the second shot -must- become your new avatar picture...its simultanously funny and adorable.
:eusa_clap
You mean Fedorable?
Fletch, you got a problem, man. Maybe wet it and use a blowdryer to shrink it up a little?
BTW, I love the evocative knick knacks behind you. "The Hudson River Line" always reminds me of "Thanks for the Memories".

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ooh, that's a bummer!:(

It appears that the straw is similar to my Peter Bros. Indy Straw. If that is the case water is a huge enemy of that because of the lacquer that is used to stiffen the hat. I had used a little steam to reshape mine and I do mean little. It didn't take much to soften the lacquer an leave the straw very soft and super pliable, also the hat will smell of the lacquer when wet. If you immersed the hat you may have washed away some of that lacquer.:(
I've even found that going on some of the water rides at Disneyland that are fairly humid will wilt the brim by the end of the ride if enough water splashes on it.
So if at all possible, try to find a spray on straw lacquer, or for that matter, a hat maker/refurbisher that can put a little snap back into the lid. See if Art or maybe the folks over at Optimo can either offer some advice or be able to reshape it for you. That's all I can think of with my limited experience through my hat. Sorry I'm not a load of help.

Cheers!

Dan

Kilroy

New in Town
Yes, the felt hat stiffener will work on straw but, you might try Sharpetoys method. It looks like a winner to me.

Spray it on one light coat at a time till you get the hang of it. Better yet, try it on a beater first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart