Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed to decide what size A2 jacket should fit good

rnx

New in Town
Hello to all,

I am really into buying my first horsehide A2. I found a site called qmi.be and read some very good reviews about their jackets but I haven't found any good reference about fit. I talked with Peter (owner of the brand) and he sent me a sizing chart. I measured a 50's vintage biker jacket that I have and according to that chart it was size 38. That jacket has very good and tight fit, so I think I should size up and choose 40, because I'm planning to wear that A2 on colder days in spring and fall too with thin sweater underneath. I prefer QMI because they are residing in EU and that means reasonable price for me (no customs or additional taxes).

I wear normally suit jackets 50 to 52 (that's European size, 40 to 42 in US, I think). So has anybody experience with their jackets, are these running big or true to size? It seems that most reproduction jackets run big for some reason and having a good fitting one seems to be kind of struggle.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't know this brand. Wouldn't it be easier to ask the maker to give you measurements? Once you know the pit to pit size for their 40 you can tell if it is too big. If you require 21 inches p-t-p and the thing is 23 inches, then you know it is bigger than you want This has never failed me.

Men today are larger (and heavier) than most men from the 1940's hence the larger sizing.

Last edited:

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
www.eastmanleather.com
Based in UK, they have a very good size explanation chart.
Their Warhorse "original maker" A-2's are the best for money you can get in EU (still EU).
www.aeroleatherclothing.com is also great. They offer a lot of "sales" items.
Great A-2's as well... Very nice hides and craftmans work. Also in the UK. Very nice to deal with.
IMHO, select a jacket with a Talon or Conmar zip. The Crown zippers are all very fragile...regardless from whom.

Last but not least, Ebay.co.uk has a lot of good offers nowadays, especially in sizes from 40-42" .

AdeeC

Practically Family
Best go for measurement comparison rather than label sizes. There are all kinds of fits out there and label sizes can be deceiving. Some makers also use old style label sizing where a 40 would be more like a modern 38.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Best go for measurement comparison rather than label sizes. There are all kinds of fits out there and label sizes can be deceiving. Some makers also use old style label sizing where a 40 would be more like a modern 38.
1000% agree

Technonut

Practically Family
Hello to all,

I am really into buying my first horsehide A2. I found a site called qmi.be and read some very good reviews about their jackets but I haven't found any good reference about fit. I talked with Peter (owner of the brand) and he sent me a sizing chart. I measured a 50's vintage biker jacket that I have and according to that chart it was size 38. That jacket has very good and tight fit, so I think I should size up and choose 40, because I'm planning to wear that A2 on colder days in spring and fall too with thin sweater underneath. I prefer QMI because they are residing in EU and that means reasonable price for me (no customs or additional taxes).

I wear normally suit jackets 50 to 52 (that's European size, 40 to 42 in US, I think). So has anybody experience with their jackets, are these running big or true to size? It seems that most reproduction jackets run big for some reason and having a good fitting one seems to be kind of struggle.

I have both horsehide, and cowhide A-2's from QMI, and both fit true to size, so order your normal jacket size for a military-type fit. That said, the cowhide A-2 is VERY cheap 'corrected' leather, with an embossed 'pebble' grain. The epaulets roll over towards the front (not centered), and look ridiculous. The knits are cheap, and quite tight around the wrists.

The horsehide is somewhat better, but not by much. There are a couple of threads floating around here which shows an earlier version that sports nicely scalloped pocket flaps, and better construction compared to the one I purchased last year (looks just about identical to the pics on their site now). The epaulets do lie squarely over the shoulders on this one. In fact, right over top of the centered seam, instead of offset, like on the majority of originals, and good quality repros. The knits are cheap, and tight around the wrists like the cowhide version. The pockets are positioned up WAY too high (even worse than seen on some early Eastman A-2's), and the pockets are too large IMO, as well as the collar.

EDIT: I should add that the horsehide does have decent grain showing... I actually thought about shipping the jacket off to have someone remove the leather zipper boxes / waistband / zipper, cut just enough from the jacket's bottom to make the pocket spacing look better, and put it back together with a shortened zipper. ;) I would have the knits upgraded, and the wrists opened-up some as well. However, I realize it would be throwing good money after bad at the end of the day, and the jacket still wouldn't be right.

I procrastinated beyond the allowed return times, and really wish I would have returned them for a full refund now. :( I've hesitated throwing them on eBay, because I'm convinced that the buyers would want a return / refund after looking them over.

IMO, you would be much better off purchasing a good 2nd hand, higher-end A-2 from eBay, or a new one of better quality, rather than QMI's current A-2 offerings.

Last edited:
If I may piggyback on this thread, since it's basically exactly what I need...

My brother is looking into getting a high quality A-2. Normally, really any premium brand would do, however, he's a large fellow. 6.7" with a matching weight so obviously, he needs to go custom.

My first instinct was Aero of course - they do custom sizing, they're in Europe, their A2's are second to none, etc. - but since I'm not really into A-2's, maybe there's some other European maker worth considering?

I think it's gonna be Aero anyway... But I would like to hear all the options since I'm helping him out with this and I want to be sure I've got everything covered before we place an order. I just hope Aero can do it 'cause if not, I've no clue where else to turn to?

Cooper A-2

Practically Family

My brother is looking into getting a high quality A-2. Normally, really any premium brand would do, however, he's a large fellow. 6.7" with a matching weight so obviously, he needs to go custom.

My first instinct was Aero of course - they do custom sizing, they're in Europe, their A2's are second to none, etc. - but since I'm not really into A-2's, maybe there's some other European maker worth considering?

I think it's gonna be Aero anyway... But I would like to hear all the options since I'm helping him out with this and I want to be sure I've got everything covered before we place an order. I just hope Aero can do it 'cause if not, I've no clue where else to turn to?[/QUOTE

Try also Eastman, sure they can help.
ELC is also in UK in Devon

yakima

One of the Regulars
One thing the OP needs to think about is what kind of fit he wants.

Some folks wear them relatively short and tight (often referred to as a "wartime fit", despite the fact that all kinds of fits can be seen on wartime pics). Others prefer a looser, more relaxed fit.

Even the makers have changed their tune on this. The first Eastmans, produced in the 80's, were huge baggy things, a la 80's fashion. It was only much later that "traditional" fits were catered for.

Just saying..:)

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
One thing the OP needs to think about is what kind of fit he wants.

Some folks wear them relatively short and tight (often referred to as a "wartime fit", despite the fact that all kinds of fits can be seen on wartime pics). Others prefer a looser, more relaxed fit.

Even the makers have changed their tune on this. The first Eastmans, produced in the 80's, were huge baggy things, a la 80's fashion. It was only much later that "traditional" fits were catered for.

Just saying..:)
Agree!
Depending where the OP is living, maybe a visit to Aero, ELC or one of their nearest retailers in EU will help a lot...just try on whatever is available and see the fit...

rnx

New in Town
I have both horsehide, and cowhide A-2's from QMI, and both fit true to size, so order your normal jacket size for a military-type fit. That said, the cowhide A-2 is VERY cheap 'corrected' leather, with an embossed 'pebble' grain. The epaulets roll over towards the front (not centered), and look ridiculous. The knits are cheap, and quite tight around the wrists.

The horsehide is somewhat better, but not by much. There are a couple of threads floating around here which shows an earlier version that sports nicely scalloped pocket flaps, and better construction compared to the one I purchased last year (looks just about identical to the pics on their site now). The epaulets do lie squarely over the shoulders on this one. In fact, right over top of the centered seam, instead of offset, like on the majority of originals, and good quality repros. The knits are cheap, and tight around the wrists like the cowhide version. The pockets are positioned up WAY too high (even worse than seen on some early Eastman A-2's), and the pockets are too large IMO, as well as the collar.

EDIT: I should add that the horsehide does have decent grain showing... I actually thought about shipping the jacket off to have someone remove the leather zipper boxes / waistband / zipper, cut just enough from the jacket's bottom to make the pocket spacing look better, and put it back together with a shortened zipper. ;) I would have the knits upgraded, and the wrists opened-up some as well. However, I realize it would be throwing good money after bad at the end of the day, and the jacket still wouldn't be right.

I procrastinated beyond the allowed return times, and really wish I would have returned them for a full refund now. :( I've hesitated throwing them on eBay, because I'm convinced that the buyers would want a return / refund after looking them over.

IMO, you would be much better off purchasing a good 2nd hand, higher-end A-2 from eBay, or a new one of better quality, rather than QMI's current A-2 offerings.

Peter actually told me that they have new model in stock soon - these should have more historically correct details (smaller and lower pockets, better grade stitching). I think I will shoot and order one in my true size and if the quality don't impress me I will return it. I know that it isn't and wouldn't ever be $1000+ accurate replica but that's not case for me too, I even don't know if A2 is my thing :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up

I think it's gonna be Aero anyway... But I would like to hear all the options since I'm helping him out with this and I want to be sure I've got everything covered before we place an order. I just hope Aero can do it 'cause if not, I've no clue where else to turn to?

6'7"? There's an Aero A-2 via Thurston on ebay with like a 29" back length atm.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Aero-A-2-Mili...ehide-Leather-Jacket-/172342571677?nav=SEARCH

Brettafett

One Too Many
I have looked at an A-2 from QMI.BE.
From a few photos I have seen (example below), the shoulders look a bit wide, but... not a bad price, check it out and remember... FIT PICS! ;)
QMI A-2 jacket front.jpg

Theres also AVI LTHR in Denmark that makes a goat A-2, based on a WW2 Bronco contract. www.avilthr.com
Looks nice. Russet (and a seal version should be available soon) Seems to be a decent price also.
s-l1600.jpg

As for a large premium A-2: Eastman, Aero (probably you best bet for custom sizing) or BK (check their 'Hose' A-2).

Attachments

• QMI A-2 jacket front.jpg
    QMI A-2 jacket front.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,288

Technonut

Practically Family
I have looked at an A-2 from QMI.BE.
From a few photos I have seen (example below), the shoulders look a bit wide, but... not a bad price, check it out and remember... FIT PICS! ;)
View attachment 57607

Unfortunately, the QMI pictured above is an earlier version, and nothing like what is currently on their site, which looks very close to what I received when it was brand-new. https://qmi.be/uniforms-and-equipment/us/a2-flight-jacket-horsehide-leather.html I would have been very happy if I received one as pictured above. From what the OP stated, QMI is going for another pattern change soon, and hopefully better quality / features than stocked presently...

EDIT: Here are a few pics of my HH QMI A-2. Note how large the pockets are, and the very high placement. The wrist openings are too narrow, and the knit quality poor. I think most here would agree that the entire jacket looks poor..

IMG_3084_zpstz5kjmot.jpg

IMG_3085_zpsqnvotczs.jpg

IMG_3086_zpswidjwptf.jpg

I've seen the AVI on eBay before. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the forward-sloped epaulets. IMO, just looks wrong on any jacket which uses them. It's difficult for me to understand why so many manufacturers out there can't get the placement correct.

s-l1600_zps8etuvr5k.jpg

EDIT: Kinda OT, but I was browsing HH A-2's on eBay, and ran across this gem:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-40s-Bar...265135?hash=item3609f4b16f:g:aIQAAOSwTA9X6Qy1

A genuine, vintage, 1940's civilian A-2 style HH jacket in great condition, for a buy-it-now price of around $200.00 shipped from the UK to the States. :cool: In a large size to boot! :) If it were only a size or so smaller, I would have already pulled the trigger. ;)

Perhaps someone viewing this thread may be the right size for it, and looking for a sweet, vintage HH jacket. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn