Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed, which A2 maker?

Mark

Practically Family
Hi

I have been wanting an A2 for some time now and wish to take the plunge and put in an order with a maker. I would like a Russet, ideally Jerky. I am not fussed about exact copies of WW11 contracts, the fit and price are the main critiria for me. I have spent a lot of time reading and viewing jacket specs on the FL but still feel the need for all my specs to be clarified into one post.
Cost is a bit of an issue so i want to avoid paying tax twice (i live in the UK), am i right in thinking that Aero, Alexandra, ELC are the only contenders? What about Bill Kelso? He is i think based in Greece, are there import taxes (VAT) to be paid this side? I know all the USA makers are out of the question for me.
The two makers i have looked at mostly have been Aero (their "Real Deal" specifically) and Bill Kelso's Hse jacket both of which are very reasobably priced it seems to me. I love ELC's Steer Hide "time worn" A2 but at £600 is a little too much for my budget.

Fit is the other issue perhaps you guys can advice me on. Like most i want a neat fitting but not tight fit. My Aero Highwayman is a standard size 36 and fits just right, trim but not restrictive. I guess i am a slim to medium build (more slim really) and around 5.6 tall, 9-10 stone.

So, the question/s, which maker do you think would be my best bet? What size should i go with? And lastly, price and how to avoid those darn taxes?

Look forward to you your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers chaps :)

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, no idea about A2s, but last time I looked both Greece and the UK were in the EU, no matter what Mr. Cameron says, so as far as I know no import taxes are to be paid when you order from a company in Greece. When ordering from the US, taxes will be due.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Your measurements are very similar to mine, though I'm 5'9", so if it's an Aero you go for, I'd recommend a 38 for a slim but comfortable fit. The Real Deal's a nice jacket and excellent value for money - though they did have a sale on them in June last year when a stack of them were reduced to £360 to ship immediately.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Don, so taxes are to be paid Greece side and again here is that what you are saying?

Yes, i like the Real Deal to Sloan, 38 is what i am thinking too.

Cheers guys

Flash

Familiar Face
Don´t worry about taxes from Greece.
I don´t like Aero´s A-2 much. For me it is more todays fashion jacket looks like A-2 to the A-2 jacket with vintage feeling. So I can recommend you Bill Kelso. I bought there two A-2 jackets and I was completaly satisfied with the service and products. For me BK´s jackets are better than ELC. I could compared 3 ELC´s with my BK and I know the next one for me will be BK again. Hope this year :D
Bill Kelso's Hse jacket will be available in HH too soon. And I am sure Andy will be patient and helpful with sizing as he was with me.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Flash, good to know he's got your vote (given he's had a bit of a hard time from some members of late!), i like the look of his jackets and the hse jacket is priced at a price thats do-able for me.
Quite fancy his steer option as my Highwayman is horse. Steer seems to devlop some lovely graining that horse does'nt (of course horse also develops patina in a different way to steer).
Thanks again

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Carlos, that helps to make it clear what i can expect to pay.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This is the easiest question to answer yet...Gibson & Barnes. Their jackets are supremely put together, and the WWII replica jackets are probably what you want. The Type A-2 Mark 43 is horse hide in russet. 393 British Pounds. That is 470 Euros. Or $648.

That is well within your budget, and the fit will be bloody spot on.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am a great G&B fan but would recommend either Aero or ELC since you live in the UK. My experience with G&B is contrary to that of TXFlyGuy in that I have found that the fit of G&B tends to run big but don't want to get into any further discussion about G&B fit other than to give MY impression. I have owned a number of G&B jackets and have visited the factory on three occasions and spent many hours observing and trying on stuff there to nail down G&B fit and preference for me. If you buy a G&B, the jacket is returnable or exchangeable, which is no big problem for me since I live in the US, but would be an EXPENSIVE hassle for you, including dealing with customs at both ends.

Most on the VLJ seem to be of the opinion that ELC is a bit more accurate than Aero. My only experience is with Aero (I own an Aero A-2 Bronco) and am of the strong impression that the accuracy is more than good enough for me. The construction and knits are top notch. I would recommend a trip to Galashiels if you are able to do so, which would be fun/interesting and remove all of the guess work.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would also recommend Eastman Leather, they are really nice guys, are in the UK and have a hassle free return policy...

Mark

Practically Family
Thank you Fanch for your in-depth opinion re; G&B. Off course they are a USA company so I will not give them a second thought, combined taxes and p&p make it not viable.

Carlos & Fanch, I really like the ELC time worn jacket but I cannot help thinking is it really worth another £150+ over an Aero Real Deal? Perhaps some owners of such jackets can tell me.

Fanch, it was the Aero Bronco Russet Jerky that really inspired me to want an A2, the one on their web site looked amazing especially with the olive/green lining. However, looks like they no longer do the Bronco on account they have removed it from their web site.

Thanks again

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Nah, I can't believe for a second that Aero would take the Bronco off the roster - A-2s in all their various flavours are just too popular. Email Holly or Rachel and ask them.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I didn't realize that the Bronco had been removed by Aero. It might still be available but not shown on the Aero website. [huh] All things equal, I would probably go for the "Real Deal" offered by Aero, or maybe something from their Sale page. I really love Aero's knits and the knits on G&B's Historic A-2's. I am not fond of the stand collar used on some of the A-2 contracts that provides a military look but is less comfortable to wear, based on my personal experience.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Fanch for your in-depth opinion re; G&B. Off course they are a USA company so I will not give them a second thought, combined taxes and p&p make it not viable.

Carlos & Fanch, I really like the ELC time worn jacket but I cannot help thinking is it really worth another £150+ over an Aero Real Deal? Perhaps some owners of such jackets can tell me.

Fanch, it was the Aero Bronco Russet Jerky that really inspired me to want an A2, the one on their web site looked amazing especially with the olive/green lining. However, looks like they no longer do the Bronco on account they have removed it from their web site.

Thanks again

I think that quality wise they are probably on par, with maybe the ELC being a bit more historically accurate, which might or might not bother you.

One thing to consider is that if you are a regular size you could order an ELC on monday and receive it tuesday. They have a lot of things in stock.

Aero is made to order and the last time i enquired the waiting time was around 4 months!

zhz

Practically Family
This is the easiest question to answer yet...Gibson & Barnes. Their jackets are supremely put together, and the WWII replica jackets are probably what you want. The Type A-2 Mark 43 is horse hide in russet. 393 British Pounds. That is 470 Euros. Or $648.

That is well within your budget, and the fit will be bloody spot on.

And that means about 70pounds tax + 12 pounds handling fee (what the hell is this really?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy