Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a vintage belted back leather jacket.

Narodnik

New in Town
Hey.

I found this today at a local thrift shop and I thought you guys would enjoy. The leather is very thick and stiff and the jacket has no damages or faults to speak of. There are three lightning zippers and two swift zippers. Sadly no tag left.

Its lined throughout and very warm. Fits like a 38.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how old it might be?

skinnjakke.jpg

skinnjakke1.jpg

skinnjakke2.jpg

skinnjakke3.jpg

skinnjakke4.jpg

skinnjakke5.jpg

Nice find! Im no expert, but the leather/ lining combo is similar to my Hercules jacket which was 40s or 50s...the lightning zips mean it was probably made in England.

D

Deleted member 16736

Great find. Wow, I didn't know you could still find great jackets like that in the real world.

Narodnik

New in Town
Thanks everyone!

The patina on the zippers (verdigris) and overall feel would suggest its could be as old as 40 yeah.
Ive actually seen this for a few months at a local thrift shop. Was one of their cheaper leather jackets.
How do I identify what leather this is by the way?

tonypaj

Practically Family
Thanks everyone!

The patina on the zippers (verdigris) and overall feel would suggest its could be as old as 40 yeah.
Ive actually seen this for a few months at a local thrift shop. Was one of their cheaper leather jackets.
How do I identify what leather this is by the way?

My guess is that you won't. I sent a steerhide jacket to the manufacturer, swapped it to a another jacket, they sold is as horsehide. I think that people are way too conscious of the source of the leather, rather than concentrating on what they want it to look like. Lamb, well, I prefer not to have anything to do with it (oh well, I like my B-3), but between horsehide, goat, or steer hide, the differences are minimal from a practical point of view. They can be seen, though, if one looks hard enough.

Metatron

One Too Many
That's a really great find! More than a little jealous. :D

Considering your location, I think there's a chance that it might be Finnish, as it has some features that resemble some catalogue images posted recently on the forum.

Narodnik

New in Town
Ok after a lot of looking around I found out that the jacket is from a maker called "oregon" and I even found a similar jacket from the same australian brand on ebay. The snaps and zipper combo matches and would date this jacket to 30-40s. Judging from the style of the jacket it seems about right as well. I wouldnt have guessed it would have been australian seeing how I found it here in Norway.

Heres a picture with correct color on the leather.
jakkeskinn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran