Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Akubra styles.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Thanks very much for that. Sounds like I now have al the necessary info.
Yes, my head would probably touch the crown as the height is lower than some models so I'll probably remove the liner and replace in the future if necessary.
Chin straps...understood.

If your head touches the crown, that's probably a good reason to leave the liner in (or an alternate satin liner).
As Edward points out in his post, you probably want to avoid sweat stains reaching the hat itself.

If there's a hat shop anywhere hear you, you may be able to purchase a couple of spare liners, which may not have that clear plastic piece protecting the top. Or you could clip the plastic piece out (as previously noted). I chose to remove those plastic discs from my Akubras because I decided the hats would be more comfortable without them. The deciding factor for me wasn't modifying the liner, it was whether I'd wear the hats more without that plastic protector. And I re-blocked all my hats anyway, so the absence of the plastic section of the liner didn't matter much.

Hats are for wearing :eek:) So I'm all for doing what makes the hat more wearable, short of actually ruining the thing.

Howard W.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Bushman

Though it is a David Morgan exclusive ( you can't do the approved "order from Australa" thing with it ) he has a model of Akubra that will take a Gus crease rather well. It is the Bushman and yes it only comes in ONE color, but he has a pic of it done in a rather nice looking Gus like crease on his site :

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=81
take a look, you might like it. BTW, you will get your hat in 3/4 days from him, faster than if you ordered from Australia :)

Onward thru the Fog:)
The Wrangler Outpost sells the Bushman as well, at a little cheaper cost. From what they told me, the Bushman is going to be the American replacement hat for the Squatter (even though the Bushman has been here in the states for a while)...Seems the Squatter is being discontinued in the U.S.

Welcome to the forum davehutch!

hatband

One of the Regulars
Just to add in my 2 cents.
I had a Snowy River in the 80's I bought new. It did not come lined. Just had the Akubra Emblem stuck inside on an oval of material. Lining the Snowy River must be a newer idea as I don't remember many of the Akubra's being lined years ago just the more expensive western styles.
I also have a Territory and a Birdsville (discontinued model) and these are not lined either. Have had the Territory for about 10years and the Birdsville for about 20 years still great hats.
None of the Akubra'a in Australia come with chin straps except the ones worn by the military.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Very good point. I'll have a look and se how simple it would be to just remove the plastic

I did it by removing the liner from the hat first, then using a small, pointed scissor. I held the plastic away from the satin behind it, and cut very carefully, and close to the edge of the plastic and the seam where the satin liner top is stitched to the side. If you do this -- repeat, carefully! -- it's easy to cut away the plastic disc, leaving just the satin liner. I think I got the idea from someone here on the Lounge. I doubt I'd have thought of it myself!

Akurbra ( Snowy River) Opinions

Hi Folks

Just want to gather some info on Akubra snowy river model? It appears my search feature is not working..

TIA/Regards

CCJ

MothPrey

New in Town
Hi Folks

Just want to gather some info on Akubra snowy river model? It appears my search feature is not working..

TIA/Regards

CCJ

It all depends on what you like, what you want it to do and be.

For around town, whatever you like. For use out in the beating sun, I want a higher crown for comfort. Actually, I pretty much want a higher crown anyway. I've retired a Banjo Paterson now because the crown simply is not tall enough and tapers too much. I like the felt and construction, wore it off and on for maybe seven years, and the hat looks okay by itself, but just never looks quite right on my head. Suits other people fine, though, looks much better on them. I'm a large guy, maybe that's it.

I re-bashed an early version of the old Akubra "Dallas" model (I think they used more than one block in the life of the model, if you see the pics of the early ones they wrinkle more inside the creases, I think they're tapered less). It's supposed to be very similar to the Snowy River, different hat band, maybe slightly different brim width, not sure. I took all the silly trim off, took the telescope bash out, put in something like an "RM" bash and ended up with a nice hat with a little effort. I like it a lot, much higher crown and looks much better on me (now) than the Paterson, but it's still a bit lower and tapered a bit more than a Campdraft.

I'm sure there are folks here that know the model much better than I do.. but it all depends on what you're going for.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've had them. They are a very wide and markedly country looking hat and can look out of proportion on a thinner or longer face. The Stockman is a smaller, narrower version of the same hat and may look better on a smaller person. I personally think the Snowy (which was designed and marketed after a 1980's movie) doesn't suit everyone.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I didn't like mine due to the gross low and tapered crown. The crown is only going to taper more with age so why would you want to start with something already way too tapered? I don't understand why Akubra makes almost all of their hats that way these days.
How do you feel about the Campdraft?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Okay, calm down with the anti-taper prejudice. Not everyone is obsessed with the Indy hat/thirties-style straight-sided crown, and some people actually look better in tapered crowns.

That said, keep in mind that a wide-brimmed hat like the Snowy River will read as a "cowboy hat" to virtually everyone in NJ/Phila. I have a Stockman - the same hat with a half-inch less brim - and for me, the 2-3/4 brim is plenty big enough. It's an odd hybrid: like a teardrop/porkpie fedora with an upturned-sides western brim. I don't wear mine in the city (that's when I break out my fedoras), I use it for cool-weather hiking.

From a build-quality standpoint, its exactly what you'd expect from an Akubra country hat: I've had mine since 2007 and it has held up really, really well. It's laughed off rain and snow, and it still looks nearly new, apart from sweat stains inside on the lining.

Akubra country hats are great... but especially in northeastern urban areas, they won't be recognized as Aussie hats, so just be sure that you are okay with making that "cowboy" impression...

I've got a "Dallas" & Riverina, same config as Snowy River. Had a Cattleman, another brand Snowy River clone, & Kiandra.
My current go to is Boss of the Plains with a Bushman for riding, chinstrap installed.
Like the Doc says, you'll get the "cowboy" comments but the brim is good for sun protection & dang rugged lid, IMHO

akubra 001.jpg akubra 002.jpg

Hi Folks
Thank you one and all for your reply's. I just purchased this one off ebay..This hat will be my widest brim hat. Looking forward to its arrival.
If for some reason I am not pleased with her, then I will offer the akubra here for sale.
I really like the color of this hat.
Thank you again and best regards
CCJ

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I bet you'll get used to the wider brim.
MothPrey, the BOTP is no longer made. I thought it was pretty much the perfect hat and was looking forward to getting more. Nice tall open crown and a good wide brim with a slight pencil roll that could either be worked to form a good roll or just flattened out completley. Wish I had a few of 'em.

MothPrey

New in Town
MothPrey, the BOTP is no longer made. I thought it was pretty much the perfect hat and was looking forward to getting more. Nice tall open crown and a good wide brim with a slight pencil roll that could either be worked to form a good roll or just flattened out completley. Wish I had a few of 'em.

Sorry to hear that. I'd intended to buy one eventually.

Harry Jones

New in Town
Akubra Glenrock?

Has anyone heard of an Akubra style called a Glenrock? If so, can you give me any info on this hat, brim size, etc.? I understand it to be a bound edge brim.

Thanks in advance

Harry

pvq

New in Town
Looking for advice from Akubra Aficionados

Greetings All,

New member and hat neophyte here. Today I received my first Akubra...a Stylemaster. It was "love at first wear". The hat is extremely comfortable. Prior to this, my only other fur felt hat was a Stetson Seneca. While I like the styling of the Seneca, the hat was much too rigid for me to wear comfortably. I guess I have a particularly oval shaped noggin because at my proper size, there is a gap in the space above my ears. The Stylemaster is pliable enough to conform, and I am sure eventually will fit even better.

I am wondering if any of you who are very familiar with Akubra hats could tell me if either the Snowy River or Stockman have the same soft, pliable feel of the stylemaster, or of they are more rigid like the Seneca? I very much like the Snowy River/Stockman profile and would like to identify a fur felt hat with that profile that would be as comfortable as my stylemaster. Currently my western style hat is a Stetson Crushable Moab which is plenty comfortable, but I would like to move up to a fur felt for water resistance.

Thanks for your answers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner