Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Akubra styles.

Duper

Practically Family
Greetings All,

New member and hat neophyte here. Today I received my first Akubra...a Stylemaster. It was "love at first wear". The hat is extremely comfortable. Prior to this, my only other fur felt hat was a Stetson Seneca. While I like the styling of the Seneca, the hat was much too rigid for me to wear comfortably. I guess I have a particularly oval shaped noggin because at my proper size, there is a gap in the space above my ears. The Stylemaster is pliable enough to conform, and I am sure eventually will fit even better.

I am wondering if any of you who are very familiar with Akubra hats could tell me if either the Snowy River or Stockman have the same soft, pliable feel of the stylemaster, or of they are more rigid like the Seneca? I very much like the Snowy River/Stockman profile and would like to identify a fur felt hat with that profile that would be as comfortable as my stylemaster. Currently my western style hat is a Stetson Crushable Moab which is plenty comfortable, but I would like to move up to a fur felt for water resistance.

Thanks for your answers

I have the Stockman. It is a very stiff hat. Not pliable. I think you will find most western style or work hats will be fairly stiff. If you like pliable I can recommend the Akubra Sydney. It is a fashion style hat and comes open crown. Something to think about if your hat collecting continues.

Harry Jones

New in Town
I saw the reference to Glenrock on an e-bay hat, saying the name was printed on the sweatband. But since they gave very little info on the hat, I thought I could just look it up! No luck, so thought perhaps it was an older, discontinued model that someone here may have experience with. Perhaps it was a special run that Akubra did on special order? I think I've heard of them doing that before.

Harry Jones

New in Town
That is what I did with the Cattleman in my avatar. After changing the bash and replacing the leather hatband with the ribbon, it became a hat I wear often. Although I have two other wide brim Akubras, I find I rarely wear them. A 2 3/4 in brim seems to suit my size and head shape most of the time, although I'm tempted to try a slightly wider brim such as on the Campdraft.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
after buying a stylemaster in moonstone and liking it so much, i've just ordered one in carbon grey, Sam from everything Austrailian just emailed saying its already on its way! when will this obsession end?

Kirk H.

One Too Many
after buying a stylemaster in moonstone and liking it so much, i've just ordered one in carbon grey, Sam from everything Austrailian just emailed saying its already on its way! when will this obsession end?

Sorry you are hooked....it never ends. I too own a Stylemaster. They are great hats.

Kirk H.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Akubra Stockman!

Hi all. I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea how much tamer, for lack of a better word, the Stockman is than the Snowy River. I tried a Snowy on the other day and was surprised that I kinda liked it, but I just would not be able to pull it off, particularly in this part of the country. (Although they sell it at JJ Hat Center in NYC so someone must be wearing it around here.) I know the difference in the dimensions, with the Stockman brim being 1/2 inch shorter, which I suppose reduces the width of the hat by 1 inch. I'm more interested in the subjective views of people who may have seen or worn both.

Thanks!

Oops, meant to put a question mark rather than an exclamation point in the thread title!

Last edited:

javadave61

Practically Family
I have a Stockman I found in an antique store a while back, and I really like the brim size. 2 3/4 is comparable to my Open Road, which is about as wide a brim as I like. But there are guys on here who are comfortable with brims larger than 3", so the Snowy River makes sense to a lot of people. If you need it for a serious outdoors hat with lots of sun protection, the Snowy River would be a good choice. But for wearing around town, as I do, I think the brim size of the Stockman works for me. If there were an extra 1/2 inch of brim, I think it would feel like a different hat altogether. My personal opinion is that the Stockman's crown size and brim size are proportionally matched quite well. I did raise the crown just a bit in mine though.

10408030_10206666344798880_8062919229659478509_n.jpg

11057339_10206666344958884_2423544052288763969_n.jpg

11174873_10206666344878882_6184595583614386897_n.jpg

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Is it normal for different Akubra styles to fit differently? When I tried some at JJ Hat Center, the Snowy Rver in 59 seemed huge, while the Campdraft and Bushman were pretty snug.

As an aside, JJ is the only U.S. source for the Campdraft I've seen. It's expensive, but it may be a good option for folks who may not want to order from Oz.

Is it normal for different Akubra styles to fit differently? When I tried some at JJ Hat Center, the Snowy Rver in 59 seemed huge, while the Campdraft and Bushman were pretty snug...
In my experience, yes. Both of my Fed IVs fit the same, and both of my Campdrafts fit the same (all size 60 and made from Imperial/non-deluxe felt), but after the expected "shrink to fit" period the Campdrafts were approximately half a size smaller than the Fed IVs and needed to be stretched a bit in order to make them comfortable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy