Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help With Custom Hat Order

Coastguard

New in Town
I find the "style" that some ppl have for clothes and shoes rather intriguing. I love it but would find it difficult to wear spaded shoes with current wardrobe.

Banky

One of the Regulars
I think there are quite a few of us that started with stingies and moved up from there. It's not a bad place to start. For me personally, I don't like them anymore because they're not unique. stingy brim hats are a dime a dozen and the style has been absolutely bastardized (read: Hipsterized) by companies like Goorin Bros and pretty much any mass market hat maker out there. For what it's worth, I own absolutely zero black hats. They put off too much of a Amish or jewish vibe for me, regardless of styling. (Not that there is anything at all wrong with being either Amish or Jewish, I just am not).

Banky

One of the Regulars
Dont take anything any of us say as the word of god or anything. You gotta understand with a forum like this we all tend to fall into the same mindset. wear what you like and rock the hell out of it. wearing a hat is better than not wearing one! To answer your question I think most of us consider anything under 2 1/2 stingy but in reality it's more anything 2in and below.

As stated, we are fans of hats from the Golden Age & stingies were after that.
We also get hats custom made because factory hat makers don't make them in those dimensions anymore.
We tried but they just wouldn't do it because our numbers are not enough to justify it = search on discussions about Stetson Nostalgia
There are a few here with custom made stingies but with the availability of those on the market, seems a major splurge.
You asked us, so you get our preferences which are slanted heavily to our sort of common "likes".

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If youre going woth black, I strongly suggest a contrasting ribbon treatment.

I like stingies, but I would go for 2 1/8" brim, it might not seem like a big difference, but I find it to be a good length

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Since one of your friends is making this hat, I strongly suggest that you have the brim made originally to 2 3/4 inch with a 5 3/4 to 6 inch crown. I really think 5 3/4 though since someone mentioned you have a smaller hat size.

A teardrop crease will take up more crown space than a center dent (Indy Jones), so if you need a little more room you can re-block to a center dent.

If you start with a large brim, you can cut a little off at a time until you like it. This DOES assume you're in the store with him though. If that's not the case, then my nefarious plan won't work.

Later

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
By the by, here's two photos of two of my custom hats. The difference in both the brim width and crown height is 1/8".

The Dillinger, by Optimo Hats, 5 3/8" open crown height, 2" brim. Center dent with front pinch.

Recreation of a Stetson Playboy by Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes. 5 1/2" open crown height, 2 1/8" brim. Diamond crease, front pinch.

You can see the difference that 1/8" makes. Also, the width of the ribbon can effect the perception of height as well.

BigDude

New in Town
Take a look at a vintage Stetson Gun Club deluxe - it might be exactly you are looking for. It has a stingybrim - 2", nice crown shape and looks pretty cool.

wine65

One of the Regulars
I have hats with brims between 2 1/8 and 3 (too wide) all look good but just give a more casual or formal look. For me a good all around hat has a brim width of 2 3/8 - 2 1/2. I started shorter and have gravitated a little wider. Try on some different sized hats and see what works for you, but no worries a little variety is good and you'll get the bug like all the rest of us.

Last edited:

Coastguard

New in Town
Well I went with a 2 1/8 brim and 5 1/4" height with year drop and center pinches. The back will be bent up with front at slight angle down.

Coastguard

New in Town
Today's the finishing day and I get to pic my first fedora up. I'm excited to say the least, going to out dinner with wife and friends and will be sporting it the entire time! Lol

New in Town
Need help getting a nice hat

Had ordered an AdventureBuilt from Mr. Delk a few weeks ago but he has gone dark on me and wont respond with any status updates. I am hopeful that he will come through, but as I am leaving for a big adventure in Africa in 3 weeks, I want to make sure I get something I can take with me for that trip. I also considered a Brent Black Safari Fedora, but I don't think I can get any custom made ones in 3 weeks. Can any of you recommend a great outdoor/safari/fedora that I can get shipped to me in 3 weeks or less? the cost doesn't matter that much.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
An Akubra from David Morgan or Hats Direct. Plenty tough, they're made for the Australian outback. If you want a Panama straw, see Panama Bob at panamas.biz. An off the rack option might be a poly straw or shangtung hat, such as the Stetson Stratoliner, or Open Road.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're looking for a tough felt hat I suggest looking at the Akubras at Hats Direct or Everything Australian. The custom hatters I have done business with are usually more than three weeks behind but that may not be universal. If you are looking for an Indy style hat to take with you Hats Direct sells the Federation IV which is very popular. You will have to crease it yourself but the Akubras have a very good reputation for being tough.

Edit: Sorry Jared you posted when I was typing :D. I think I just repeated you!

New in Town
I am very interested in the David Morgan Stylemaster, thanks for the advice. I'll take any other suggestions as well. going to be at the equator, so pretty hot, will need a hat just about the entire time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points